Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I had to cancel my trip to AR and TX due to the fact my 5th Grandson arrived a little late. Now that I know everyone is safe it's time to hit the road, I and the wife decided to take a little trip to the Smokey's for a few days. I'm leaving tomorrow and stopping to see some family in Indiana for the night, than heading out early Friday and hope to be there by mid afternoon in a hotel somewhere around Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

Reason I'm putting on here is because I've never been there and would love to hook up with someone from around there thats wanna do some riding and give us a tour of their beautiful Smokey's. If not I know there so much to see there and if any of you guys have any pointer's and must see idea's that would be great. I know what your gonna say and the Tail of the Dragon is my main goal. By tomorrow night I will know where we are staying Fri thru sun night.

Anyone interested my cell# 815-830-3155 Text or call , if I don't answer leave a message and I will call you back
Thanks, Rod

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
if any of you guys have any pointer's and must see idea's that would be great. I know what your gonna say and the Tail of the Dragon is my main goal.
I know some people will disagree but to me, Deal's Gap is kind of...meh. It's 11 miles long and low speed. Yeah, it's good for bragging rights and the pictures are cool, but there are so many other good roads nearby. Foothills Parkway, US 441 (on the NC side), TN 73, NC 28, and my personal favorite, the Cherohala Skyway.

I have two Smoky Mountain threads in the Rides forum, one from 2011 and one from 2012. It's hard to not have fun up there. Have a great trip!

·
Registered
243 Posts
+1 on the Cherohala Skyway. I've never ridden it but have been through there ever summer for the first 17 years of my life on vacation to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Cherokee. Have a safe one and bring back lots of pictures!

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I'm hoping to go to Thunder in the Smokies this fall. I'll be looking for time on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Any road in that area is going to be scenic. Make sure you take a jacket, as if you ride to any of the upper elevations, it can get chilly any time of the year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do the Dragon just to say you did, they have better PR.

There are so many great roads to ride in that area. you can't go wrong. Try and get to Maggie Valley, NC and stop by the Wheels Through Time museum, worth the trip and the owner Dale is one heck of a person.

I'm headed that way in 3 weeks. Enjoy yourself and ride safe

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I rode the entire Blue Ridge Parkway a couple weeks ago. I would recommend at least riding from Cherokee, NC to Mount Mitchel State Park if you can't ride the entire BRP.

Here are a couple pics from Mount Mitchel last November.

We had to ride the Dragon for the photo op.

Cades Cove

·
Registered
259 Posts
Be prepared for an awesome time. Went south from skyline down the blue ridge, great scenery, awesome curves, photo op the whole way (great pics 2wheel!)... Man, I'm excited for ya! Please share the experience with a post ride write up!

·
Registered
636 Posts
TN 73 is a must ride ! Does not get any more crooked or pretty then that. Goes from Gatlinburg to Towsend.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
851 Posts
I rode the entire Blue Ridge Parkway a couple weeks ago. I would recommend at least riding from Cherokee, NC to Mount Mitchel State Park if you can't ride the entire BRP.
2wheel, thanks for the pics! I was gonna ride the blue ridge parkway all the way but I already have 3700 miles on the rear tire and she's wearing fast than I was hoping it would so I cut some mile off my total trip. How long did it take to ride it all? I'm thinking you didn't do it in one day!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the reply's! I am so looking forward to this trip. for some reason my phone won't let me log into the forums anymore, it says no network available which is bull or I would shear pics thru the trip. Everything you guys have mentioned sound awesome and have my list. Now I'm only down there for 2 days, unless I get lost. Who cares I don't have to be back to work till the following Tuesday. By the way as far as you new kawi rider, I can go right thru Shelbyville and pick you up on the way. lol!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Heading that way Friday for a couple weeks of riding. Watch out for the Goldwing rally going on in Greenville, NC. Hotels will be tough to find in that area next week. We are staying a few days at The Lodge in Copperhead in North Georgia. Like others have said, you will love the roads.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heading that way Friday for a couple weeks of riding. Watch out for the Goldwing rally going on in Greenville, NC. Hotels will be tough to find in that area next week. We are staying a few days at The Lodge in Copperhead in North Georgia. Like others have said, you will love the roads.
When I get to Indiana tonight I'll setup reservation for a hotel. I usually plan out my trips but this time I'm kinda going into it blind. But I will know I have a place to sleep when I get there.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Rod, We been to the smokies many times. Probably have 3-4000 picks on the puter from there. Want me to send them all? LOL All the roads there are great. Just ride and get lost and you will find many. Get You a cheap GPS and stick it on the windscreen. You are never truly lost.
Shep

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rod, We been to the smokies many times. Probably have 3-4000 picks on the puter from there. Want me to send them all? LOL All the roads there are great. Just ride and get lost and you will find many. Get You a cheap GPS and stick it on the windscreen. You are never truly lost.
Shep
I got a few pics but I'm on the hotel's pc so I'll have to post them later this week. Your right all the roads are awesome, I did manage to slay the dragon and the wife. We were out there all day yesterday and just made it back before dark, I was wiped but did just about everything but the Blue Ridge Parkway and thats on the list today.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I got a few pics but I'm on the hotel's pc so I'll have to post them later this week. Your right all the roads are awesome, I did manage to slay the dragon and the wife. We were out there all day yesterday and just made it back before dark, I was wiped but did just about everything but the Blue Ridge Parkway and thats on the list today.
"I did manage to slay the dragon and the wife". I hope you didn't leave behind any incriminating evidence! I know there are some nice cliffs out there where it might take years for a bike or person to be found, if they "accidentally" went off the road! That makes it harder to collect the life insurance policy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
"I did manage to slay the dragon and the wife". I hope you didn't leave behind any incriminating evidence! I know there are some nice cliffs out there where it might take years for a bike or person to be found, if they "accidentally" went off the road! That makes it harder to collect the life insurance policy.
When I am on a long motorcycle ride, after a few cocktails back at the hotel, I slay my wife every night. Most mornings too. We love being on vacation. :D

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a link to some photo's we took In the Smokey's, I hope it works!

First I want to say...Going to the Smokey's was the best time and experience we have ever had on a bike. After it rained it was amazing to look at the mountain's and understanding why they are called the Smokey's it was so cool. Two days isn't enough time to see everything we wanted to see. We started to ride the blue ridge but started to rain on us so we turned back after 10 mile into it, and never went to cades cove or the moonshine 28. Not a big deal, it gives me reason to go back and finish what I started. All in all we had a great time and talked to so many nice people that are willing to point us in the right direction. lol! It to me was the true meaning of gods country and if you haven't ever been there...you need to go at least once!

http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/rotton61362/library/Smokey%20Mountain%20pics?sort=3&page=1

·
Registered
702 Posts
glad to see you enjoyed it as much as we do every time we ride here. When you get ready to come back, the wife and I will gladly show you some of the roads a little northeast of where you were.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
glad to see you enjoyed it as much as we do every time we ride here. When you get ready to come back, the wife and I will gladly show you some of the roads a little northeast of where you were.
Sorry Mark we didn't get together for a ride but the next time I come down you will be on my to do list. I almost called you back to find out where a good shop was at to change my tire and stick around for a few more days to get that ride in. I didn't wanna leave but I will be coming back, if not this season next season for sure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts