Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Getting ready to wrap the pipes on my 09 nomad. I see references to wraps made of fiberglass, titanium, wraps with lava rocks, etc. My dealer says they're all equal. Any thoughts on the issue? Thx.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
About the only difference is in the color, but since you will most likely reinstall your heat shields, it shouldnt matter. When you wrap the, best to start at the back and wrap towards the engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
don't know about the differences but when I wrapped my pipes I noticed lots of fibers sticking out when dried. So I spray painted the wrap with a light colored high temp paint, just to keep them intact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Newb ????

Is it best to wrap both head pipes or just the back one?

And are you wrapping yours because of a heat problem or something else? I thought that the Nomad didn't have the heat issues that the Vaq and Voy have.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine is the Voyager and did it because of the heat issue for my wife. Did front & rear pipes.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Did it make enough difference to justify pulling the pipes? I don't really have problems with the heat, like most, but I'd consider it to make sure it doesn't creep up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did not believe wrapping the pipes would help but so I could tell the wife I was doing what I could to minimize the heat for her I would gave it a shot.

I wrapped the pipes with more overlap then they suggested, since the package I bought had plenty of wrap.

And it did make a big difference it how much heat is felt, we both noticed the difference. I am a believer now.

As for pulling the pipes. For me it's wasn't an issue on the Voyager. Have a wheel chock so bike stands up straight. I also needed some larger hose clamps to reattach the heat shield.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Is it best to wrap both head pipes or just the back one?

And are you wrapping yours because of a heat problem or something else? I thought that the Nomad didn't have the heat issues that the Vaq and Voy have.
Do both. A 50' role will do both, even the cross over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the good info. As to needing larger clamps when putting the heat shields back on are we talking regular radiator type hose clamps or something different? If regular radiator clamps is there a particular size that works best?

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Fiberglass or titanium??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Stainless radiator clamps as for size I don't recall but any hardware store will have them. My original clamps had very little size left for adjustment so needed to replace, on the new clamps the excess can be hide behind the shield.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I did the wrap with it overlapping 1/2 way and used the factory clamps on most. a couple broke removing them and I think the new hose clamps were 2 1/2" from the local auto parts store.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts