Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
How are they in high speed turns (not racing,, but on say a 45mph windy rd)?

I have to admit that it sucks to pay what we pay for mt and get such little mileage out of them.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts

I have to admit that it sucks to pay what we pay for mt and get such little mileage out of them.
Ya know, there is nothing anyone can say that will really convince you one way or another (unless you take the "by the book" answer as absolute gospel). It's just one of those things you have to try for yourself to really know. Personally, I got tired of the finger wagging of the naysayers and the fan boy replies of some proponents, so tried for myself. It's different in some situations but if I felt like my life was in danger I wouldn't do it.

I certainly like the cost savings and reduced downtime not having to change rear tires once per year or more. But, you'll have to take my word it's purely choice, not a matter whatsoever of "can't afford to".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yep if your good with paying 200-300 bucks for a mt tire every 6000-8000 miles than you can spend 100-150 for a good ct and try. Don’t get a Walmart super cheap universal ct you’ll need to get a directional top self tire. IT’S A 1/3 THE COST OF A MT DONT SUPER CHEAP OUT. And try for yourself. Turning at speeds over 10-15 mph really isn’t that different. Small counter steering but a mean small. Transferring from left floor boards to right really can’t tell if there’s anything different. Try it if you want to. It will not kill you if you have been vaccinated. At least that’s what Biden said. Lol

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I would have been happy to get 6-8000 miles on a rear. Well, maybe not happy, but happier anyway than with the 3500-4000 I was getting before darksiding. I think I'm getting close to 15000 on the CT (been long enough I sorta lost track) but it's getting close to change time; probably end of this riding season or come spring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well 18” HD wheel and now double dark side. A ended up having a bad rotor so riding around my neck of the woods kinda sucks right now but a HD buddy is looking for a set he took off his bike. As soon as I get the rotor problem fix I’ll give y’all a ride update. I did take a lot of pics and may post a swap how to. I kinda followed the others but a little different way of doing it.

·
Registered
908 Posts

After a while, particularly if you do not go with an extra wide tire (like the 225), you will not feel the difference.
Slow turns, fast turns, it all feels awesome in my double dark side. If anything I know I am working extra hard for having a 150 wide tire in the front, steering at slow speed is somewhat harder (5-10 mph). Once you get going you do not even think about it.
I have bragged before that I have scrapped floorboard a few times on the twisties pulling a trailer (not often, rare occurrences).
My rear tire has gone from San Diego to Yosemite and back, to New Mexico and back and to Canada and Back and still has thread left for a couple of trips. Those are 2 up and trailer behind me.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Two Metz 888s coming apart reported on this forum in less than a month. This could be the start of a second round of bad tires from them since they purchased a S. American MC tire company approx. 10 years ago. Or it could just be coincidence. Something to keep an eye on if anyone is planning on buying 888s anytime soon.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts