Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after riding on the dark side for 5000 miles, I needed a new front tire and ended up ordering a new set of Metz 888. It was cool idea until today. With about 1900 miles on them now the rear tire is coming apart. Not like it’s going to blow up but the center strip which normally wears down is actually rising up!!!! The cool part is it happened within the last trip of 100 miles 2up. I’m a air pressure checking freak ( 2 gauges and check before every ride. Even a 2 miles run to the store). I know pictures are hard to show and tell but it’s stepping out not in. So I just ordered a new 205/60/16 Yokohama Avid Envigor and some Dana beads. My last ct was a 225/55/16 Toyo Extensa hp which was a great tire but rubbed a little bit when 2up and I’m looking at a trailer hitch very soon so I’ll need a little more room.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I just replaced my latest 888 last week. $300, less than 8K miles. No center tread left and when I pulled it I found 2 spots in the center where there was obviously a piece of rubber missing and belt visible. I'm done with Metzler.

I should mention, this is on a 1700,.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
“ YOU JUST CANNOT HAVE ANYTHING NICE ANYMORE “. A person spends hours googling and asking around for best heavy weight bike tire just to get let down. Well it was fun ( kinda like going to the gentleman’s club and then going home to your old lady ) but now it’s time to rejoin the crowd that’s riding past his buddies at the tire shop.

super fine woman = high end motorcycle tire
Car tire = lovely wife
She may have some side effects to her but she’s in it for the long haul and i guess all the dark side hatters just can’t settle down to a good hearted woman. That’s funny right there. Here’s a picture of the last ct I took off at 5,000 miles of use. Still new. I know I should have not let my buddies talk me into going to the gentleman’s club. Lol oh well I’m done with my little rant. I’m going to install a ct this week and start looking for a 18” HD wheel for the front.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Looked up the normal CT tire size recomemded for the 1700, if you use a 205/60/16 you will have the extra space you are missing for the 2up and the trailer. Personally do not understand why a 900 pound bike comes with tires that are not designed for that much stress.

Here is the Darkside Riders Tire database for your viewing pleasure.

I am on a 900 and went through a Dunlap in 5000 miles, MC tires cannot handle the torque the vulcan puts out.

For the front try a rear MC tire running backwards, 2 to 3 times the mileage because there is 2 times as much tread as a front tire.

Keep your very shiny parts up and the rubber on the road.

Ride Safe.

Reactions: SteveJB

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
My only issue with darkside, is that I don't know of a shop around here that will mount a CT on a motorcycle. I don't have the tools to do it myself. So for the time being, I'm stuck with MC tires.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My only issue with darkside, is that I don't know of a shop around here that will mount a CT on a motorcycle. I don't have the tools to do it myself. So for the time being, I'm stuck with MC tires.
I live in one of the biggest metro areas in Texas and I have trouble finding a mechanic to do it. But so far I have been successful. Dealers I don't even ask, custom shops are better, Honda shops sometime.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
... Personally do not understand why a 900 pound bike comes with tires that are not designed for that much stress.
Never had any technical failures like pulled belts or such with any of the MC tires I used on my VN2K, and probably 1/2 or more of the miles were two-up with not exactly svelte driver and passenger.

There was, not sure if still is, a higher loaded rated rear but that still really doesn't help the low treadlife reported by a number of VN2K owners. I used that one too (it's the OEM recommendation) but just had enough of the <5000 miles per rear. For me it's not just the VN2K either. Across several brands of rear tire on my Suzuki RF900 the amount of wear/treadlife isn't materially different than on the big beast. And, no, I don't do burnouts but have no problem frequently rolling on the power and that doesn't help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luckily I have a shop right down the road that does all my tires ( motorcycle tires and atv tires) and he’s done a lot of them. I think I found a HD 18” front wheel and tire and rotors here in Alabama for $150 to swap on the front. I’m not wanting to go any bigger than that but it definitely looks better than the factory setup. All my googling lead me to the Yokohama Avid Envigor 205/60/16 ct. If it last longer than the 888 I’ll call it a win.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I have a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the back of mine, it's a fairly soft tire with AA traction rating. I think there is around 15,000 on it now and should last rest of this year, but have not been driving too much. I'd put another one of those on in a heartbeat, but the specific version was discontinued and the current version is assymetrical tread. Probably not what one wants on a single track vehicle.

Think I read a number of people recommended the General Altimax RT43 or something like that, but never tried one myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the 18” tire and wheel combo did not work out but I just ordered the same wheel off eBay. I’ll round up a tire for it and begin the swap. My new car tire should be in tomorrow and hopefully on the bike this weekend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep headed to the shop to drop off my bike to install my new ct. the guy said he will get it done tomorrow. And yes I did ride the tire no back to the shop. I got 4 teenage drivers and magically all was busy running around town. I had my wife pick me up so hidding the fact I was spending more money on my bike was out of the question. Lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello DARKSIDE you miss me. Just picked my bike up and got a really really short ride back home (5 miles). I forgot to leave him the balance beads so I told him I would take care of it when I got home. So a 5 mile ride at 65 miles unbalanced was smoother than a Metz 888 with less than 2000 miles. Now the start of this whole swap back was because of the Metz 888 expansion ( not flattened) centered strip. Once off the rim, the inside and out side looks like a good motorcycle tire ( perfect round). I’m sending it to Metz as a warranty issue and I’ll keep you posted on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And as far as the front tire I decided to double down on the darkness and order a 140/70/18 rear Shinko 777 to install on the new HD rim coming in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The problem with ct is that there not designed to lean as far as mc. The geometry is just wrong. How is the ct in a turn? It seems like it would be a bit squirrelly in 40 deg lean.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
The problem with ct is that there not designed to lean as far as mc. The geometry is just wrong. How is the ct in a turn? It seems like it would be a bit squirrelly in 40 deg lean.
Yeah, us rebels have heard all that before. ;)

The floorboards scrape yet the CT does not let loose. So, while the theory seems applicable, from a practical matter it's a red herring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes turning, slow speed, parking lots, gravel driveway with ruts, and roads with a pitch are different with a ct. My first ct was a experiment to see what’s it like ( I’m into trying it not a just talking about it) and was supposed to be for a 1,000 miles. After 5,000 miles I was needing a new front tire and thought I’d been missing something on the mt so I bought a whole set. I missed the ct and then started to have problems with a new mt tire. Every bike you hop on has a different feel to it. You adjust to it just like a ct. Never have I worried about it coming unglued from the road but more worried about the yahoo’s driving around me. The slightly narrower one I have on now ( 225 old and 205 new) feels even better and I got a chance to get rained on a lot yesterday with no problems. It’s difficult for some to rap there head around the idea but it works for me. If your buddy had a bike with a ct on it and offer you a ride you would probably hate it on a short ride but if you got to put 200-300 miles on it you start to see a big difference. I ride a lot and mainly 2 up so replacing tires gets old. It’s your bike your choice. I got plans on buying a trailer or rally cart soon and I am hopping the ct swap becomes more of a better choice. We will see.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts