Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone have any company recommendations for head porting? I have contacted Cavanaugh and he seems like a knowledgeable individual.

I'm just looking for some input into this if anyone has gone this route...

Thanks

Ronnie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know the transmissions in the Vulcan 2000 was that borderline. Of course it would depend on just how much of an increase a good head porting and camshafts would provide.

In spite of the torque these bikes have, they feel lazy to me. The fact that the power commanders provide a nice increase in throttle response and torque tells me that the Vulcan cylinder head could probably use some help.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know the transmissions in the Vulcan 2000 was that borderline. Of course it would depend on just how much of an increase a good head porting and camshafts would provide.

In spite of the torque these bikes have, they feel lazy to me. The fact that the power commanders provide a nice increase in throttle response and torque tells me that the Vulcan cylinder head could probably use some help.
Just remember there's a limited amount of space for a transmissions so the components are smaller. The transmission in my car is as bike are your bike (well, maybe not- but close!) and has a 155 ft/lb torque engine driving it (3.0L V6). You've got a much smaller transmission being abused with 141ft/lb of torque. Over 110 horsepower. That's a lot of stress on those components!

When you get into any high performance vehicle you're trading reliability for performance, and the more performance you add; the more reliability you trade off. Formula 1 cars get a ton of power out of a small engine and are lucky to get through a race weekend before scrapping the engine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
porting

The v2ks trans weak point is the shift fork. Power shifting from 1-2 is hell on it. I found the biggest improvement on performance with this engine was in radical timing(they are factory detuned to save the trans) Find an 04 ingnition box,do the fifth gear mod and away you go. Before I got rid of mine, we were working on internal modding, but found out that until there is a better trans, it's not money well spent. I finally gave up to the fact that I bought a "cruiser bike"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The v2ks trans weak point is the shift fork. Power shifting from 1-2 is hell on it. I found the biggest improvement on performance with this engine was in radical timing(they are factory detuned to save the trans) Find an 04 ingnition box,do the fifth gear mod and away you go. Before I got rid of mine, we were working on internal modding, but found out that until there is a better trans, it's not money well spent. I finally gave up to the fact that I bought a "cruiser bike"
Ok thanks for the additional information. Yes, I did buy a criuser bike (L.O.L.) and there is always the ZX-14 close by if more power is needed. ;) I just thought it might be a good winter project to have a look at the Vulcan head to see if there is room for improvement. A 20% gain in overall power would be nice if there is that much to improve upon. ANY engine (or transmission) should have that much of a reliability "factor" built into it. I don't think I could bring myself to power shifting a tank like this bike!

What is special/different about the 04 ignition box (do you mean swapping out the entire E.C.U.?) and...what 5th gear mod are you referring to?

Thanks for your time.

PS Sometimes that "Junior Member" status is misunderstood and other members think you are completely new to bikes, engines, performance, etc. That isn't the case with me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
porting

The 04 has a totally different ECU and some very few 05's. Kawy backed the timing down to tame the bottom end down to save wear and tear on the trannys. Why fix the trans when you can accomplish it with less timing advance. All V2ks in fifth gear the timing retards, the fifth gear mod installs a resister into the shift gear sensor wiring and over rides this giving full timing through all gears. The mod only works on 04.05, none of the others that I can veryify.
Do you have a power commander? If so ,another thing to do to add more snap is to remove the secondary butteryflies,use the power commander accellerator pump program to adjust fuel. Makes a nite/day difference on throttle response.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
The 5th gear resistor mod.. there are lots of threads here about it.

Bascially, MaKaw thought the V2K engine was to powerful and, using timing, retarded the output of the first 4 gears.

Halfway thru 05, they changed up the ECU and also changed the "retard-timing".

I think it was in 08 they changed things again.

The "5th gear mod" bypasses the "retard timing" stuff. So you get the full engine output.

The 04's are the most affected. Kawasaki backed off on the timing with the 06's and 07's. The 04's ECU, when unlocked, also allows a greater "advance" in the timing the the other years.

The 5th gear mod won't work on the 08+ years.

Depending on the route you take, the mod cost anywhere from a few bucks to about 35 bucks. (Same result, just one is perm and one is plug and play-able.)

Do a forum search on resistor mod.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Do you have a power commander? If so ,another thing to do to add more snap is to remove the secondary butteryflies,use the power commander accellerator pump program to adjust fuel. Makes a nite/day difference on throttle response.
Hey Gillyiowa,

would you need have a new map done if you removed the butterflies?

·
Registered
319 Posts
map

smedlin, the only thing I had to do is add more on the excellerator pump program, never affected the fuel curve itself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the great advice fellas!
The retarded timing is no doubt why the bike feels lazy to me. I don't have a power commander (yet) but my buddy has one on his '06 and the additional advance smartens the engine up considerably.

·
Registered
319 Posts
porting

The main reason I shyed away from porting is these engine slinging those big coffe cans do not like to spin past 5400 rpms. You would need a spendy flow bench to figure out porting flow below that rpm, porting sometimes hurts airflow. Timing is easier and cheaper to deal with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have access to a flow bench but I am unfamiliar with the Vulcan head. I spoke with Larry at Cavanaugh Racing (Kawi and Suzuki) who has been porting heads for a number of years and he would look at the Vulcan head for me.

Yes, you are bang-on, there is quantity of flow and there is quality of flow when it comes to ported heads. Increased c.f.m. absolutely does NOT mean an automatic increase in power but big flow numbers (unfortunately) help to sell ported cylinder heads. You can really see it on a car with a bad set of heads at the track. Typically the vehicles (again talking cars here) will come flying off the line during a 1/4 mile race then start to fade even before 1/2 track. Net result is a low m.p.h. number.

Engines having badly ported head issues that I've looked at, seem to be victims of air and fuel falling out of suspension, and because liquid fuel doesn't burn, you can see strong evidence of incomplete or NO combustion across the piston top and often on the matching portion of a cylinder head as well. An easy way to pick up c.f.m. is to flatten the short turn radius but it very rarely seems to increase power. What seems to happen here is air and fuel part ways and combustion efficiency (flow quality) drops way off.
Subtle and "well educated" port shaping can yield good results.
A little bowl work can also yield nice returns.

Even mild porting (provided it is GOOD porting) on an engine with as much stroke as the Vulcan 2000, should make for a really nice improvement (especially mid r.p.m.) in cylinder filling and of course in power returns.

For now though, I'll get some more ignition advance happening and hopefully lose the sluggishness the engine has now.

Ronnie

·
Registered
319 Posts
porting

Ronnie get rid of the secondaries, even without a powercommander there is a noticable improvment. The only thing you will notice without a powercommander is when its cold, you crack the throttle, it might cut out, goes away when warm. All the secondaries do is act like a restrictor plate. If you dont like it, you can always put them back in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ronnie get rid of the secondaries, even without a powercommander there is a noticable improvment. The only thing you will notice without a powercommander is when its cold, you crack the throttle, it might cut out, goes away when warm. All the secondaries do is act like a restrictor plate. If you dont like it, you can always put them back in.
That will be my first mod.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I looked at the butterflies earlier but because the shaft goes into the throttle position sensor, I thought removing them might affect the fuel mapping or timing strategies. I removed the plates and just left the shaft in there.

So far NO adverse affects at all. I understand that the butterflies will only open as far as engine airflow will allow them to open but even at our dismal altitude (high), having NO restriction in the air inlet DID provide a power improvement, especially at w.o.t. in the high r.p.m. range, making it a worthwhile mod.

Those butterflies will not be going back in.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
319 Posts
tunes

you can get generic tunes from them that are fine. The way I did it is, I had a Digitron acquistion system left over from my snowmobile racing days. Hooked the egt part up to the exhaust and could do hard excelleration or cruiseing runs, play back and adjust from there. I still might have the files somewhere. Or go to a digitron tuning center and from $150 on up, let them do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you can get generic tunes from them that are fine. The way I did it is, I had a Digitron acquistion system left over from my snowmobile racing days. Hooked the egt part up to the exhaust and could do hard excelleration or cruiseing runs, play back and adjust from there. I still might have the files somewhere. Or go to a digitron tuning center and from $150 on up, let them do it.
Ok thanks. As I mentioned, my buddy has a Commander but the engine has some low speed fuelling issues (it stinks) and could use some tweaking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts