Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders, I was gifted a 1994 Vulcan 750 from a friend recently with a few issues . I’ve resolved all of the issues save one, the headlight flickers then winks out.

When warming up the bike the head light comes on like it should, when I reduce the choke while the bike drops down to a normal idle the light will flicker and then go out. I’ve found by flicking the flasher button the light will come back on, and stay on until the RPM drops back down at a stoplight. This is a cat and mouse game for most of my 11 mile ride to work (and ride home).

This was the final straw for giving me the bike he said, hey I’m good with that!

I asked him what he has done to try and solve the problem; he said he replaced the voltage regulator. The problem did not go away after he did though. Then he got a bonus from his work and got a bigger newer bike and did not want to chase the problem anymore. One of the issues was replacing the battery with a new one......so it's not a battery issue.

Thanks for any input you might have, can’t wait to solve the issue and get to worry free ridding.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Is the headlamp incandescent or HID? Initially, it sounds more like a switch problem than anything else (provided it isn't an HID lamp)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is incandescent, but I don't think it is the bulb or switch. I have noticed it happens only at certain RPMs, so I 'm thinking it might be in the GENERATOR area?...oh I haven't a clue!

Maybe it's shop time for it.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Maybe not "generator" related but vibration at given RPMs? DOes it happen on both the High and Low Beams?

Sounds like a nearly broken wire, loose or corroded connector, weak switch arm, partial torn filament in the headlamp bulb. Tap on the headlamp "Briskly" and see if it's the filament or the headlamp connector. Pull the connector off the lamp and see if it sits tight on the bulb. Then, follow the wires back to the bullet connectors and see of they are fully seated and corrosion free, disconnect and reconnect them a few times to assure that the connection is solid and, that there where the wires enter the connectors that there isn't any broken strands or green corrosion. (a little dielectric grease goes a long way here to keep moisture and corrosion away here) Then we're back to "Briskly" tapping on the handlebar switch. If all is good there then you're up against wiggling wires to attempt and find a wire that is partially broken. Check out what you can and get back to us. We'll work through this!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happens on both High and Low, If it's at an Idle with the brake on (hand or foot) it will not flicker off. BUT a lot of the times when I remove pressure from the hand or foot lever and the break light goes off it will flicker and go off. I'll have it at work Sat and go through all the connections and what not to see what I can find.

Thanks for your inputs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts