Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Head light change

10K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Alan j. 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to change my head light on my VN 2000? Because of the heat, at night is the only time to ride and cars do not like my high beam.

#3 ·
Bohoo. That is their problem. When it comes down to it, you want to be noticed on your motorcycle so they can SEE you. You will get the occasional flashing of the headlights by oncoming traffic, but is one motorcycle headlight REALLY gonna blind somebody? No.

The other thing that you can do, is adjust the highbeam aim down just a little bit, but again, if they can see you, hopefully they won't hit you.

YMMV

#5 ·
On either side of the nacelle (near the front, and assuming you have the "freight train" headlight) there are 2 "domed" allen bolts (1 on either side). remove those, and gently lift the front ring and pull the bottom toward you. It should be apparent after that. There are 2 lights in there. One is under a big rubber "boot". That's the one you want. There's a little wire retainer thingy, much like on modern car headlights.

Make sur you don't touch the glass part of the new light with your fingers. It WILL shorten the life of the bulb.

#6 ·
So when the Alabama Highway Patrol pulls him over for failure to dim his headlights he can just say a forum told him to do it? Someone must be cranky at 5 am. What's the difference with a cage with one headlight and a motorcycle? I'll tell you; NOTHING. Failure to dim is failure to dim, sorry to soapbox but I have a problem with someone thinking they're above the law just because they ride or drive xyz brand bike or car. If you want to be seen get more (legal) lights.

Anyway back to your original question. I'm assuming here that your low beam is out? Changing the bulb is pretty straight forward and just like on a car. There are two phillips screws, one on each side of the headlight bezel. Once those are out the bezel will come off with headlight attached. On the back of the headlight there is a plug with three wires in it, take that plug off. IIRC the bulb is held in with a small screw or it may be a 1/4 turn type, it's been awhile since I've had it off. Anyway the bulb comes out and can be replaced with the same type from the parts store. I don't remember if they're H4 or H7, it should say on the bulb, take it with you so you know you're replacing with the same part. Reassembly is just the reverse. Just don't forget to plug the light back up. DAMHIK :)

#8 ·
So when the Alabama Highway Patrol pulls him over for failure to dim his headlights he can just say a forum told him to do it? Someone must be cranky at 5 am. What's the difference with a cage with one headlight and a motorcycle? I'll tell you; NOTHING. Failure to dim is failure to dim, sorry to soapbox but I have a problem with someone thinking they're above the law just because they ride or drive xyz brand bike or car. If you want to be seen get more (legal) lights.
I do not think that I am above the law, nor was I being cranky, I was just simply stating my thoughts to the OP. The OP can follow whatever advice they choose. Hence the YMMV at the end of my post.

As far as answering the OP's question, (which I didn't do in my earlier post):
Bill Braske hit the nail on the head for changing out the light bulbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.