Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a headlight modulator from signal dynamics. I love the thought if being more visible.

Though anecdotal it seems that since installing it less people have been creeping out of intersections and have not had a single person turn in front of me.

Oddly though I have less people returning "the wave".

I know they are annoying on group rides (which is why you either are in front or turn it off) but I found it strange that this was occurring.

I certainly wouldn't trade safety for a return wave I was just curious if others that have a modulator have noticed this or those that don't find them that annoying?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
My Grandson and I ride together and we both have modulators. If you think you've increased the cross street cager looking twice at you I know that when they have 2 modulators coming at them they do look several times. No, I can't say that I've noticed any reduction in waves. Actually maybe a slight increase. Other bikers recognize the modulator for what it is and are less likely to miss seeing you in the mass of cagers and they do wave! Ride safe out there!

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Modulator here, and the only thing that drives me crazy is my high beam indicator light flickers on and off. It almost hypnotizes me!!! Have not noticed any change in 'waves' though. I do turn it off while I am sitting as the first vehicle in an intersection. Not sure why, I guess I am trying to be less annoying while I am sitting still. I flick it right back on once I start moving.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I recently installed a headlight modulator from signal dynamics. I love the thought if being more visible.

Though anecdotal it seems that since installing it less people have been creeping out of intersections and have not had a single person turn in front of me.

Oddly though I have less people returning "the wave".

I know they are annoying on group rides (which is why you either are in front or turn it off) but I found it strange that this was occurring.

I certainly wouldn't trade safety for a return wave I was just curious if others that have a modulator have noticed this or those that don't find them that annoying?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I think you're right about a reduction in return waves BK. I think I've noticed the same. But I think it might have something to do with the predominate motorcycle "culture" in your area. Some bikers won't wave if you're off brand and some who would never consider a modulator are less likely to wave.

I found the modulator to be just a nuisance, having to remember to turn it off and on depending on the traffic. I removed it to make room to install HID headlight electronics. But I agree it increases your safety.

·
Registered
98 Posts
it also tends to torque some shorts on people traveling in the same direction that think your being an a$$ and flashing them...watch for short brakers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I rely on my bike for all of my daily transportation. Hour commute to work. Have been running a modulator for 5 years. Definitely makes me more noticeable.

It seems to me that many other riders think you are less of a rider or just a noobie because of gear or modulator. Most riders around here who ride for a few months a year wear little gear and a lot of times just a skid lid. To each their own.

I ride around 14,000 miles a year and want to be warm, comfortable, and as safe as I can be. If others won't wave or think less of me because of it, then so be it. Put on some Godsmack and ride on brother!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I do think my modulator makes me a bit more visible. I've had several people tell me that my headlight is flickering. I usually don't explain it any more, I just say,"Yeah, darn Asian junk."
I haven't noticed any difference in the wave. Most do, some don't.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I haven't noticed a difference in waves. Mine will modulate on both high and low beam, so if I'm following a cage (which is most of the time around here), I leave it on low. It doesn't seem to be annoying, but is still noticeable. If however, I'm coming up on crossing traffic I flip it to high just to be sure I am being seen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts