Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is motorcycle talk but just general discussion so I did not want to get hollered at for posting in the wrong section. Some of the older riders in my area that end up coming to talk to me since my bike draws attention... they all have nice things to say but then refer to my bike as a scooter. They are typically HD owners and I can not tell if they are ripping on it by calling it a scooter since it is foreign or not a full dresser. Could someone enlighten me on this? I assume they are not being mean since I did really good work on the thing and they can tell I'm not a scrub. However then they refer to other things as bikes which confuses me. Look forward to the input when I get back from my ride.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
A SCOOTER, WHAT, THEY CALLED IT A SCOOTER.:eek:

It's hard to tell. Depends on the age of the guys, where they are from, their tone of voice. I know people that refer to all bikes as a "scooter" unless it is a "dresser". I have also herd people from other countries refer to them as scooters. I was not there so I don't know how it was said but there are people out there that doesn't have an appreciation for anything other than what they like. I can appreciate any bike, if it is to my likings or not. I like looking at the craftsmanship that went in to them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had to chuckle,

I remember growing up, my brother Mike called all bikes scooters. I guess that stuck with me because I reference all motorcycles as "scooters." Even my beloved full dressed Voyager. For example, to the guys at work on a perfect riding day, I'll say - Perfect day for a guy to be out on his scooter!

Meaning ME, and then I go back to work. Not on my scooter. Having to wait for a day off. To ride my scooter.

I wouldn't take offense to it, but as stated, depends on their attitude. I know people who like riding and appreciate bikes - I mean scooters - no matter what they are, and I know people who talk down anything that isn't a Harley. I tend to associate with and spend time with the people who appreciate motorcycling for what it is, not what brand you ride. Enjoy your scooter!!

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I can get really confused, as my "other bike" is a Silver Wing - a scooter!

In fact, my son got a sticker on the back of it calling me "Scooter Trash"!:&

·
Registered
183 Posts
You'd be real unhappy around here cause they're all scooters where I come from no matter how big or small or what badge it sports. Do ya need an explanation of scooter trash also or do ya have that one covered?:D Why would anyone give a fat rat's backside what term someone else uses anyhow? Most riders I know aren't into that PC crap anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
at home it was always bike and now im in a new town so I have literally never heard someone call anything other than a moped a scooter. If the guy was being backhanded and I did not realize it I just wanted to know so I could treat him appropriately. I do not care all that much for others opinions on my bike or building style but if someone were to be poking fun I would prefer to not waste time speaking with them. Thanks for the input guys sounds like it is just a town to town difference. Keep the dirty side down

1 - 6 of 6 Posts