Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Anyone know if there is a way to make this fit on my 900 Custom? If do-able is $800 reasonably for the fairing with all the guages/speakers in it?
There is someone on this site that used a Harley fairing, maybe in bike of the month ?? I also have been looking for a batwing style but dont like the Memphis shades model, covers to much headlight. try this model ...

http://www.tsukayu.com/QuickDetachableFairing.html

and this one

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=84&manufacturer_ID=16&product_ID=49832&sblid_name=Kuryakyn_Sportech_Fairing_Plus_For_Metric_Cruisers&model_id=126

$800 for a HD model seems a good price, not sure that the gauge pkg would be compatable.

These are avail with various goodies or plain. Good luck on your chioce and let me know what your choice was... with pics... cheers Maurice

·
Registered
131 Posts
Anyone know if there is a way to make this fit on my 900 Custom? If do-able is $800 reasonably for the fairing with all the guages/speakers in it?
We have a place in montreal how installes hd fairings on kawaski bikes it called premeux fairing and also on the custum world web site i looked in my book and they have one for 900 kawaski with origanal brakets.hope that gives you a hand.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just to make things clear. CDNVulcanGuy is asking about the Road Glide fairing which is not the batwing fairing. It is the frame mounted fairing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I will just slide by the dealership and see if one of their guys could fabricate some kind of way to make it work.

There is one on Craigslist.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I remember not liking Doughrek's bike when he put the batwing and hard bags on and not I want a Road Glide...ha ha ha, funny how our tastes can change.

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
If you can live without the built-in speakers, etc...go with the Memphis Shades Batwing fairing (around $350-$400 installed with quick release brackets). This is route I am going...they look great on the 900 Custom and you can always add speakers (such as the Kuryakyn Sound of Chrome) and an iPod. Keep in mind, you may want to switch to a larger headlight; you can see in the pictures below, the 900 Custom headlight is a bit small...just depends on your taste. Best part, because it's installed with trigger lock quick releases, you can take it off anytime you want.

Here's a picture of the fairing on a black 900 Custom.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
batwings make the breeze "Bearable"

canman, here is a pic of my v2k w/hd fairing. I have installed this on 3 jap bikes. I move it to my newest one b4 selling the old scooters. it is doable if you have any craft skills. as far as instruments, not compatible. I blank them off. if anybody questions, its my bike, I can do what I want, tell them to take a hike. besides I already have a electraglide w/all the gizmos. oh, $8c aint too terrible. I paid 5, 6w/paint. w/o the gismos.

I also have that mempis batwing on my Guzzi. smaller but nice on a smaller bike. see other bike models.

only consider injection molded fairings, lexan or other poly. stay clear of fiberglass fairings. they are heavy and their fitments are poor and inconsistant. they are heavy! out, ponch

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
lil Bro Bear windbeater

Just to make things clear. Road Glide fairing which is not the batwing fairing. It is the frame mounted fairing.
my bad. here is pic of my Bro Bear fairing.

gizmos work here as the hd speedo and tach are not part of it. just da gizmos.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm not so sure that it is that easy. Not that I know the details, but here is what my impression is. Harley has a reverse triple tree (I think). The forks are widely spaced (I think they are wider than the VN900). These two things could make it very difficult to mount the Road Glide fairing to the Vulcan frame. Just some items to consider.

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
I'm not so sure that it is that easy. Not that I know the details, but here is what my impression is. Harley has a reverse triple tree (I think). The forks are widely spaced (I think they are wider than the VN900). These two things could make it very difficult to mount the Road Glide fairing to the Vulcan frame. Just some items to consider.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/kl_fairing_adapt.htm

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
hard or EZ is a state of mind

hd triple trees are not reverse. they are standard on all their FLH series(tourbikes). fork tube spacing is 10" centers. the Road Glide fairing has ample front end opening to accept most every bike up to a BossHog. It requires a frame mounted extension bracket from the steering head to the fairing occupying the space where a standard headlamp would go. There are two additional lower fairing mounts that bolt directly to the engine gards. Those are the only 3 hardpoints this fairing requires.

If you want to do something, the only thing stopping you is... you. I have owned and modified more than 20 different bikes and have yet to see a reverse triple tree. what exactly is that?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have owned and modified more than 20 different bikes and have yet to see a reverse triple tree. what exactly is that?
Maybe it is just something I heard from a salesman. I knew somebody here would know the truth. It might help if you had pictures of the frame mounted extension bracket that goes between the fork tubes. How does it attach to the frame?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
back to what makes it go 'round

Maybe it is just something I heard from a salesman. I knew somebody here would know the truth. It might help if you had pictures of the frame mounted extension bracket that goes between the fork tubes. How does it attach to the frame?
I can understand thinking that a triple tree might need some negative offset in order to turn lock to lock w/o colliding forward with the frame extension bracket. but the error in that thought is that if the forks dont collide forward then they will collide with the frame itself rearward... But since the forks dont turn a full 90 anyway, the optimum solution is a 0 offset, meaning that each fork tube centerline is in line with the fork head bolt centerline. This is what is called standard.
Some (race)bikes come with positive fork offset where the forks are forward of the fork head bolt. This is to provide a reduced amount of trail with a given rake w/o changing the rake angle. Since there is no frame extension to collide with,(a headlight occupies this space), this positive offset is not a turning issue.

harleys have 0 offset standard forks. my kaw v2k is 0 offset. my guzzi (sportbike) has 1" forward offset w/26 degree rake. makes the trail = 2" for very fast turns. I suspect most cruiser type bikes are closer to 0 offset as they typically have a 30+ degree rake for slower steering input at speed.

frame extension pics? I've seen some online parts houses have an aftermarket frame mount for the road glide fairing to adapt to the Vrod frame. If I see my brother tomorrow I will take a pic of his stock roadglide and see if I can capture that bracket.

·
Registered
100 Posts
hd triple trees are not reverse.
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I think it is worth mentioning here. I finally got a chance to look at my friend's Road Glide and the triple tree is definitely reverse. By that I mean that the head tube is forward of the fork tubes. Most other bikes have the fork tubes forward of the head tube. This means that the standard fairing support would have to be longer to reach in between the fork tubes and bolt onto the frame.

Here is a view of the lower triple clamp viewed from the front under the fairing.

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
not what it seems

Here is a view of the lower triple clamp viewed from the front under the fairing.
Mark'rs, very good. that lower triple clamp does indeed show negative(rearward) fork tube offset. Studying the pic, is the top triple clamp offset same? I cant tell from the pic, but it looks like maybe not, cant tell. When I (finaly) get my harley back next week I will check mine(lower) and see if it is the same. The trim on the uppers show a 0 offset. The reason is that all these FLH tour bikes have the same frame, forks and wheelbase. If the Roadglide had a different triple clamp it would have different wheelbase, rake, trail and other dimensions. and they dont from all the specs I'v read and my brothers bike roadglide side by side appears identical to my electraglide..
If the upper clamp is standard (0 offset) and the the lower is negative as per your pic. then the fork angle is steeper than the rake angle and the trail is increased significantly. I will study this when next I get to Santone, 90miles south. with all the rain this year, put a damper on riding. I will confirm your findings then. but good digging further, I'd never suspect the lower triple to be like this. out, ponch

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm pretty sure the top is the same as the bottom, but it is not as easy to get a picture of as it is covered with all sorts of Harley bling.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you can live without the built-in speakers, etc...go with the Memphis Shades Batwing fairing (around $350-$400 installed with quick release brackets). This is route I am going...they look great on the 900 Custom and you can always add speakers (such as the Kuryakyn Sound of Chrome) and an iPod. Keep in mind, you may want to switch to a larger headlight; you can see in the pictures below, the 900 Custom headlight is a bit small...just depends on your taste. Best part, because it's installed with trigger lock quick releases, you can take it off anytime you want.

Here's a picture of the fairing on a black 900 Custom.

was this the road king batwing before they made a kawasaki specific product? the way i understand is the mounting on the kawi batwing is altered so it doesnt sit so far forward on the headlight:)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I stand corrected. This dang thing is backward as heck

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I think it is worth mentioning here. I finally got a chance to look at my friend's Road Glide and the triple tree is definitely reverse. By that I mean that the head tube is forward of the fork tubes. Most other bikes have the fork tubes forward of the head tube. This means that the standard fairing support would have to be longer to reach in between the fork tubes and bolt onto the frame. Here is a view of the lower triple clamp viewed from the front under the fairing.
marc'rs, well I am wrong on this one. it appears that you are correct that the hd have (reverse) negative offset triple trees. I would think it is just the FLH series that are like this as the sportsters, dyna and softails are standard. easily observed as they are exposed.
here is pic of my stock hd electraglide triple tree. I did not do the install work of the new unit, so I didn't see this come off and its orientation. but my best guess is that it is rearward only because there is a key switch/fork lock integrated into the upper triple clamp. So harley is setting all these FLH tour bikes up this way with 28degree neck rake angle and these trailing forks will add-extend the trail dimension. this will slow down the steering at speed. 28degree rake is a steep angle for nimble steering at slow(walking) speeds.
So, this is how they get that big 850lb bertha to behave at both slow and fast speeds.. any input? out, ponch

·
Registered
100 Posts
So, this is how they get that big 850lb bertha to behave at both slow and fast speeds.. any input? out, ponch
That is how I first heard about it. The salesman I was talking to made the claim about the slow speed handling in connection with the triple clamps. At the time, I didn't know whether he was full of it or not. Apparently, he was right. Thanks for the picture.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I rode HD from 1980-87, bought Classic 900 '09' last year. Wanted a frame mounted fairing like the old Tour Glide or newer Road Glides have.

Once you find the fairing you want (recommend new style '98-2010', old style parts are hard to find), you'll need a engine guard like Lindby Unibar and then you'll have to make a bracket that goes around the neck of your bike and drill at least one hole in your frame. To see the parts schematic on any bike check http://www.bikebandit.com/ they have plans & parts list for most bikes.

I'm waiting for my paint guy to get free to paint mine right now. He is going to color match my bike and maybe some design all for free. When he is done I'll post a set of assembly pictures. Mean while here are the shots I took while measuring for the brackets (unpainted, no lights or windshield).
The fairing I have is off a 1984 Tour Glide the bracket that goes from inside the fairing, right behind the headlight, is the hard one. If your in doubt about it fitting take a yard stick or long straight edge and see if you can slide it between your forks laid up against your frame on both the right and left side with your forks turn both ways for each side of the frame

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts