Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 900 lt brand new. Put 135 miles on it in two weeks following the manufacturers guidlines for breaking in a new bike. Now I just read a post that says you should basically tear on a new engine to get a better seal out of the rings. This went on to say that the first 20 miles are the most crucial and that after that first 20 an oil change
is needed. Some of what I read made sense and some seemed like it was more directed to street bikes and racing bikes with higher compression ratings. Does anyone more mechanical tha myself have any insight?

·
Registered
976 Posts
No, you've not damaged your bike. You just won't get the last bit of performance that you're bike is capable of. But heck, it's a 900, if you were into performance you would have boughten a crotch Rocket, a V2K or one of those Triumph Rockets. You're bike is going to be just fine. The only thing important for the first 500 is to vary your speeds, don't just go 55 mph for 500 miles. Other than that just ride it like you're going to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you feel that the 20 mile oil change is a neccesary thing to do or the first 600 mile tune up is ok timing?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You can't go wrong following the manufacturer's guidelines. You're ok.

Is it good to change the oil after just 20 miles? Sure.
Is it necessary? No. But the oil companies will sure love you.

You're doing fine... and welcome to the forum by the way.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You can't go wrong following the manufacturer's guidelines. You're ok.

Is it good to change the oil after just 20 miles? Sure.
Is it necessary? No. But the oil companies will sure love you.

You're doing fine... and welcome to the forum by the way.
+1. You didn't hurt anything. I always go by the break-in in the owner's manual. Besides, like the old saying goes, "Don't believe everything you hear (read) and only half of what you see". That goes double for the internet.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Now now, lets not get to negative on motomans suggestions. He is putting together performance machines and what he says is GOSPEL. Even our machines will do better with the tighter seal produced from his breakin procedures, but then he knows what he's doing and knows how to ride the bikes he's building. If I ever get a new V2K I'm sure I'll be a little leery of turning loose on all the power available. This is why the manufacturer tells you to take it easy, they don't know what the experience level of the rider is. Even on a 900 a newbie could get into real trouble quick.

But, for the rest of us following the manufacturers instructions riding as directed and changing the oil at 600 miles is fine. If you DID break it in like Motoman, then you would want to get rid of the extra metals that are created during the ring seating procedure, then again at 600 miles.

Believe half of what's on the net??? Long as it's MY HALF!!!

Ya, I'm full of myself. But the above bits, minus the that last head bubble, is ok information.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I read about "Motoman's" break-in procedure back in the '90's and I still think it's a bunch of BS. :eek:
There's much more going on inside that engine than the rings being seated.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I believe in the breaking in hard ,but you don,t have to go nuts.Just make sure to work the motor then let it coast in gear to scavenge the cylinders.You have about 200 miles to break in the rings that's the point when I like to change my oil.You need to make sure motor is warmed up before getting on it though

I broke in my XS rebuild this way & it had 150+ lbs compression & ran like a champ till a semi took it out it had about 20,000 miles on rebuild.I went around the first 4 miles hard came back let it cool off, retorque check everything then do it again.

Also I bought a xc 700 that was a factory demo first year for the VES,so you no every one that got on it was pegging the throttle.That motor never had any blow by ,still had great compression when I sold it with 15,500 miles on it,which is allot for a 2stroke sled.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you feel that the 20 mile oil change is a neccesary thing to do or the first 600 mile tune up is ok timing?
stick with the manufacturers rccommendations. Dont rev it up too much in lower gears, and stay below 60 in fifth until 500 and below 80 in fifth between 500 and 1000. change the oil at 600. I wouldn't do synthetic oil untill the second service (this is based on advice from my harley dealer on a trike that I bought recently) I also bought a new vcn 900 custom recently and am going through break in right now. I went through the same process with a vcn 1600 classic that I bought new in 2006, and just sold with 15500 on it. It was in top running condition. Trust the manual that came with the bike and ignore the shade tree guys.

Mike

·
Registered
209 Posts
Only 2

Only two "people" are involved in the break in and subsequent results of how it is accomplished. You and Kawasaki, both having a vested interest in it, the "break in", being accomplished such that longevity of the engines internal parts is insured.

Kawasaki knows far, far more about engines than Motoman ever dreamed he knew.

Stick with the owners manual, {unless Motoman offers a warranty at no cost to you if you follow his advice, (which he doesn't).}:D

·
Registered
976 Posts
Only two "people" are involved in the break in and subsequent results of how it is accomplished. You and Kawasaki, both having a vested interest in it, the "break in", being accomplished such that longevity of the engines internal parts is insured.

Kawasaki knows far, far more about engines than Motoman ever dreamed he knew.

Stick with the owners manual, {unless Motoman offers a warranty at no cost to you if you follow his advice, (which he doesn't).}:D
Ya, and these are the same knotheads that tell you to set the tire pressure too low AND as they know so much about it, they have those dunflops on there in the first place. And you listened to your Harley Dealer??? I've been to three HD dealers in my area and I and my buddies that actually have them, only go to ONE of them. Even though they're related, one is all show and the other is the people you can trust.

The manual was written in Japanese and translated into to english by people who are first and farmost, LAWYERS, and then translaters. That's why we constantly get the Octane question with people that KNOW the book says 91 octane when the correct answer, written in the book, is R+m/2 =87.

Motoman is also a performance guy, a racer. Kawasaki does not break in their race equipment the same way they do an in-experienced rider with their new street bikes. One of them is PAID to know what they're doing. The other just thinks their gonads got bigger because they're sitting on a motorcycle. I know mine went up by half an inch at least. A 200% increase!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
...Motoman is also a performance guy, a racer. Kawasaki does not break in their race equipment the same way they do an in-experienced rider with their new street bikes. One of them is PAID to know what they're doing. The other just thinks their gonads got bigger because they're sitting on a motorcycle. I know mine went up by half an inch at least. A 200% increase!!!
Race Engines are not expected to last 50,00 miles, and some such as F1, Moto Gp, SBK, are consider at 400 miles to be well over the hill, if they get there, and a significant number don't. Look at engine failure rate in F1 this season, (2 Ferrari, 2 Mercedes, 1 Cosworth, in 6 races). All I would assume "broken in" by the most experienced drivers in the F1 venue. So much for experience as a factor in the "break in". What works for a piece of racing equipment has little bearing on the environment most of us ride in.

I don't view myself as a expert, but following the manufacturers recommended break in on probably 15 or so bikes in the last few dozen years has never caused a problem. Do I follow it exactly, not really. I normally changed the oil/filter at 200 to 300 miles and then again at 1000 to 1500 miles and by 900 miles or there abouts, I am done with the "break in"

·
Registered
976 Posts
The important thing in the whole conversation was, NO, he hasn't ruined the engine and can expect many many miles of enjoyable riding.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would get that thing in for a rebuild right away. The engine is probably toast!! ...... Come to think of it, I bought mine used. Who knows what that guy did to my bike. Maybe I should get mine rebuilt.:eek:

OK, just poking a little fun. I think sometimes we really try to over think these things. If I were to buy a new bike I would try to follow the owner's manual as close as possible, but if the bike runs fine after break in I would keep changing the oil on schedule and have fun riding the bike. Seriously, when the break in period is over just forget all that stuff and have fun.:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just bought a 900 lt brand new. Put 135 miles on it in two weeks following the manufacturers guidlines for breaking in a new bike. Now I just read a post that says you should basically tear on a new engine to get a better seal out of the rings. This went on to say that the first 20 miles are the most crucial and that after that first 20 an oil change
is needed. Some of what I read made sense and some seemed like it was more directed to street bikes and racing bikes with higher compression ratings. Does anyone more mechanical tha myself have any insight?
I have bought plenty of Brand New Kawasaki products in the past, I have never did the proper break in period. Its just to darn hard not to let it rip!!:D I had a 02 Ninja ZX6R and after the first hundred miles or so I was out beating the sh.t out of it. Same thing with my 09 VN900. I rode nice for about 200 miles on it(had to adjust to ridding a cruiser) and I went for the Glory. Even though I never found the Glory in this bike, I still ride aggressive and ride it hard and only have approx 400 miles on it. Everyone rides different, and kawasaki builds a good product and I think the break in is more of a concern for the Company in a Safety Manner rather then a reliability issue. They dont want you to be flying around before you know the ins and outs of the bike, at least that What I think

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ive owned motorcycles since I was 12 years old, about half of them new. The important thing with break-in, in the beginning, is to vary the rpms, and not stay at any given speed for any length of time. Otherwise, just ride it like a normal person. A short burst of 1/2 throttle in the first 2 gears once in a while is a good thing to help seat compression rings.
As far as changing oil, I did my first oil/oil filter change after the first 200 miles. Then it will be every 1500 miles from this point forward. I live and ride in a hot climate, central Florida. I changed to synthetic motorcycle oil for my first oil change, and will continue to run synthetic 15w50. (I personally use Motul) Most people insist that synthetic shouldn't be used until more miles are on an engine. I don't agree with that, but to each their own. I've not had any engine failures on any of my bikes/cars/trucks, ever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts