Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I'm posting to see if there are any options for taking my bike from ny to nc without actually driving it - I mostly looked into a bike rack but that seems like they are more for dirt bikes -
I have the 1500 vulcan model.
Not too excited to pull a trailer . Anyone have a link for a decent rack that will work for this weight ? ( about 775)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Hi- I'm posting to see if there are any options for taking my bike from ny to nc without actually driving it - I mostly looked into a bike rack but that seems like they are more for dirt bikes -
I have the 1500 vulcan model.
Not too excited to pull a trailer . Anyone have a link for a decent rack that will work for this weight ? ( about 775)
totally not recommended. the bike geometry does not like being twisted at the neck. it is excessive and improper
if you choose to do it. be sure to remove the drive belt from the wheel pulley and secure it away from, where it wont get rubbed. this will ensure that the drive pulley, bearings, gears don't get rotated w/o lubrication.
butt it totally inadvisable to tow any bike this way, particular a full size road bike.. yeah it looks ez.. if you don't care about yor bike, well then do it.

yours is a drive shaft bike.. don't do it!

or just get a small trailer or put it in the back of a pickup truk. I do it all the time. its not difficult once you figure out how to do it safely. load a truk, unload it. poncho

Attachments

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Uhaul has a small trailer with a wheel chock for motorcycles. There is no way I would try to load my bike into a pickup. I have too many trailers to think about that. If you don't trailer that bike, you might a swell just sell it or scrap it. Serious damage can be done with the method you mention. I would much rather ride my bike that tow it anywhere. (By tow I mean on a trailer).
Your bike your business, but the 1500 cannot be tossed around like a bike that is 500 pounds lighter.
The bike rack you mention typically has a maximum weight limit of 400 pounds, that of course still leaves 300 plus pounds not accounted for.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
There is no way I would try to load my bike into a pickup.
if you don't know how to do it rite and safely, it is advisable that you don't load it in a truck.. that is true for almost everything, bike or not..

I have put dozens of motorcycles of every size and denominations into and out of my pickup trux. w/o ever an issue.. but I am very careful HOW this is done.
I prep my truck b4 attempting to load. I have front wheel chok for the bike to nestle into. I have all my straps separated and attached to the truck bed ready to attach to the bike.
I back my truck down into a low area where the rear end is dropped and the tailgate to ground is only 24" at most (same as trailer) and the angle of the ramp and tailgate is minimized. The ramp is securely attached to the truck so it cannot move.
only then do I ride the bike at a walking speed up the ramp into the truck bed and nestle the front wheel into the chok. stop the motor, leave it in gear. side stand down. still sitting on the bike, By myself I can reach each strap and attach it to the bike and stabilize the bike. 5 minute to load.
then I get off it and cinch all straps in an orderly fashion to secure being sure it is straight up. I use 2 pair on the front and 1 pair on the back.
Have hauled single and double bikes cross country numerous times w/o so much as a loose strap ever.

Unloading is reverse process, with one exception; it requires a Second person to stand-walk behind and hold the bike upright as you sit on it and walk it back off the truck. 5 minutes to unload.

or put it on a trailer.. or just ride it, NY to NC is an afternoon ride thru Va.? wheres the beef? poncho

1 - 4 of 4 Posts