Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is moving across country NY to NV and wants to have his bike shipped to him if not too overly expensive. Haulbikes.com has a summer deal for $499 with fuel surcharge included. Anyone ever used them? Or suggest some other carrier?

Thanks!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
My son is moving across country NY to NV and wants to have his bike shipped to him if not too overly expensive. Haulbikes.com has a summer deal for $499 with fuel surcharge included. Anyone ever used them? Or suggest some other carrier? Thanks!
Fred, how bout you ride it for him and use the money for a air ticket home? that way you get an epic ride and he gets his bike delivered by someone he trust? poncho

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fred, how bout you ride it for him and use the money for a air ticket home? that way you get an epic ride and he gets his bike delivered by someone he trust? poncho
That is certainly a possibility! He would just have to wait until I get the time! :smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Shipped a Yamaha 1100 Silverado from central Nevada to upstate NY in 2005. Cost right at $1000 bucks.... Used UPS shipping. It was the cheapest at the time. I sold it to a guy in NY he paid the shipping, but I arranged it. I had 4 of the 1100 SIlverados at the time....

IF you ship it, DO NOT and I say DO NOT leave ANYTHING in the bags or anywhere else on it. Take everything off including mirrors.. It will not be on it when it gets there. That has happened to everyone I have ever known that has shipped a scoot. Especially if it is a HD.......... even if you enclose crate it yourself. But now days it just get strapped to a steel MC pallet.

You never said what the scoot was.....................

I took everything off including windshield and whatever I was letting go with it shipped separately in separate boxes using different carriers FedEx and mail.... So the buyer ended up with everything.. Never trust carriers on scoots as it will change hands many times before it gets to where it is going. And possibly sit outside a few days too. Regardless of what they say....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shipped a Yamaha 1100 Silverado from central Nevada to upstate NY in 2005. Cost right at $1000 bucks.... Used UPS shipping. It was the cheapest at the time. I sold it to a guy in NY he paid the shipping, but I arranged it. I had 4 of the 1100 SIlverados at the time....

IF you ship it, DO NOT and I say DO NOT leave ANYTHING in the bags or anywhere else on it. Take everything off including mirrors.. It will not be on it when it gets there. That has happened to everyone I have ever known that has shipped a scoot. Especially if it is a HD.......... even if you enclose crate it yourself. But now days it just get strapped to a steel MC pallet.

You never said what the scoot was.....................

I took everything off including windshield and whatever I was letting go with it shipped separately in separate boxes using different carriers FedEx and mail.... So the buyer ended up with everything.. Never trust carriers on scoots as it will change hands many times before it gets to where it is going. And possibly sit outside a few days too. Regardless of what they say....
It's a 2009 Suzuki C50.
https://utica.craigslist.org/mcy/5171245029.html

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You'll certainly want to check costs, but a buddy of mine did something similar and found that a U-Haul truck was a cheaper solution; sort of. He was already moving (as it sounds like your son is) and already renting a U-Haul truck. When looking at the cost of shipping, or the cost of renting a trailer (U-Haul does rent trailers but they are finnicky and some must be returned to the place it was rented from, unlike trucks which can be picked up and dropped off at different spots). He ultimately figured out that getting the biggest truck they had was cheaper than shipping the bike, and it fit in there; along with his stuff, just fine. In his case it was an HD Ultra Classic. The big truck had a hydraulic lift gate and it couldn't be easier. His wife also had a bike but it fit in the back of his pickup truck.

Just food for though. However he's moving, it might be cheaper to move the bike with him. If he's got a truck, ditto to a trailer for it. Even a decent car can pull a motorcycle safely. My Focus is rated for 1,000lb's and the Mustang for 2,000lb's. Either one could probably pull a single motorcycle; depending on the weight of the trailer. And both of those are about as un-trailer friendly a platform as they come. A bigger non-sports car, SUV, etc., should have no problem.

You'd be amazed what you can find on Craigslist too. An old motorcycle trailer for $100 that needs a new set of tires. Plus the cost of tires and a few bucks for registration/plates, yank it where you're going, and sell it for what you paid for it; or more, at your destination.

Lots of options other than shipping! I've heard good and bad about shipping; my brother is in the Navy and many of his friends ship bikes pretty regularly. Often they'll own a bike and a car, will back everything in the car, drive to the next base, and have the bike shipped. According to him, there are some horror stories, but most of the time it's not a problem.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Even a decent car can pull a motorcycle safely. My Focus is rated for 1,000lb's and the Mustang for 2,000lb's. Either one could probably pull a single motorcycle; depending on the weight of the trailer. And both of those are about as un-trailer friendly a platform as they come. A bigger non-sports car, SUV, etc., should have no problem.
For anybody unfamiliar with U Haul trailers, make sure to do your homework on those things. Their 5x9 open trailer is over 1200 pounds. Empty.

http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x9-Utility-Trailer-with-Ramp-Rental/RT/

A 5x8 trailer from Tractor Supply Company comes at 400 pounds empty.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-mesh-floor-utility-trailer-5-ft-x-8-ft-2-000-gvwr

I never noticed having a U Haul behind my truck, but the first time using my wife's 4Runner to pull one, I was surprised at how heavy it felt so I looked it up. Twice as heavy as the motorcycle on it. Every situation is different so, "The More You Know" and all.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wow! That's heavy! I suppose it makes sense; they are meant to be abused. But sheesh!

Everything requires so much 'checking' these days. Used to be a "half ton pickup" meant you could haul a half ton worth of something in the bed. The 2015 F-150 EcoBoost now has a 3,300lb payload capacity. That's... one and a half tons... plus. And it's still a "half ton pickup". But I wouldn't recommend putting that same load in a 20 year old true "half ton".

Of course I see people pulling way too much with way too little out here on the interstate. Folks think if their vehicle can pull it without exploding that means it's fine. And, of course, they pull it as fast as they can. Half ton truck pulling a massive boat at 85mph riding everyones tail, 4 door sedan pulling a U-Haul enclosed trailer. Even guys on goofy Vaquero's pulling cargo trailers with way too much crap in them for one week of camping (hehehe).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for all the advice. He really doesn't have a lot of things so he's just stuffing his belongings into his Chevy Cruze Eco (towing capacity is quite small) and heading out.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Of course I see people pulling way too much with way too little out here on the interstate. Folks think if their vehicle can pull it without exploding that means it's fine.
its like playing Russian Roulette with 5 of 6 chambers loaded. as long as they can get away with it, all is swell and they will do it more. more load, less tied down secured, drive faster.. until they have a challenger disaster, nobody cares how on the edge of out of control they live.. problem is they usually take out others when all hell breaks loose.. never ride behind a truk or trailer full of crap not secured..

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I have used uhaul lots... never had an issue with finicky dealers. Only if you rent local and do a cross country might get them excited I guess. Moving from Nevada to here in Texas I did 4 trips with 26 foot trucks. All one way rentals. Had my pickup on a trailer all 4 times. Last trip I had one motorcycle in the uhaul truck, my pickup (ranger) on a trailer behind the truck with another motorcycle in the bed of my pickup. Not to mention 2 back and fourth trips hauling scoots from there to here using my pickup and bringing my trailers here..

He can put the scoot in the uhaul and focus on a trailer.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the advice. He really doesn't have a lot of things so he's just stuffing his belongings into his Chevy Cruze Eco (towing capacity is quite small) and heading out.
Yep pops either you are planing a road trip or jr is paying shipping.

I just put a class 2 hitch on my daughters Escape and there was almost no real structure back there. The Cruz would be even worse just because it is smaller and liter.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Yep pops either you are planing a road trip or jr is paying shipping.

I just put a class 2 hitch on my daughters Escape and there was almost no real structure back there. The Cruz would be even worse just because it is smaller and liter.
maybe put the hitch on the sled and tow the cruz wagon as mini camper? hey its got a bigger motor...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts