Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually never purchase the extended warranties but have been debating on purchasing a four year extended warranty this time around.I have 22 days to decide before my standard one year warranty expires.I did purchase an extended warranty once on a 2007 900 Custom that I purchased new but only ended up putting about 4500 miles on that bike and never needed to use it.The prices were much cheaper back then for the extended warranties.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've read many reviews about extended warranties and the opinion was unanimous and that 99.9 % of the time they were un-needed and just extra money for the Dealer. Now that being said, I have purchased them & never used one at any point in time. So probably it's a just whether you want the peace of mind and can afford it. If you do purchase one you must ck & be sure when it takes effect, whether it picks up after the factory warranty or when you make the initial purchase and most important thing is what it cost & what it covers exactly. Good Luck

HalfBreed

·
Registered
397 Posts
I too bought the extended warranty when I bought my 900 new. Was supposed to be 7 years, but then they amended it to six years. Never needed it, never used the roadside service, any of it. Coming from a VN750 I was concerned about the stator ever needing replacement, and it just didn't happen.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ended up purchasing the four year (Kawasaki Good Times Protection Plan) extended warranty this afternoon.The bike is now covered until June 22nd of 2021.I guess the older we get(damn,I'm only 51)the more valuable/desirable peace of mind becomes.Anyway just in case the stator,output shaft,or a fuel pump issue or such was to arise, it'd be covered.Or at least one would hope.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I purchased an EW twice with a VN750 purchase and 2003 Ford Ranger. Glad I did! The internal balancers on the VN750 were shot and needed replacing. I ended up paying $90 for the work instead of the few hundred dollars it would have cost. On the Ranger, the cam synchro bearing sleeve was shot. Those synchro are the Achilles heal on the 3.0 motors. I got it replaced w/o any out-of-pocket expense on my part.

In most cases, an EW is a waste of money.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I purchased the extended warranty on my 2007 900 Custom. At 22k the output shaft bearing went and was covered 100%. It would have been a $1700 repair. As a bonus the valve adjustment I was due for was automatically performed because they had to remove the engine and split the case to replace the bearing. I can say it was well worth the cost of the warranty for me. You can buy the warranty from any dealer and some discount the warranty. I just showed the online warranty price to my dealer and he matched it rather than lose the sale.

I wish the warranty was still in effect when the stator went out!

·
Registered
357 Posts
bought it but never used it. decided not to extend it either. I could've saved that extra money :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too just purchased my 2017 bike and also got the extended warranty, the price was not that much for four more years and peace of mind. It has been my experience that every time I purchase the extended warranty on anything I never have to use it.. that in its self is peace of mind. Paying away the maintenance gremlins!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts