Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at a couple parts online places and the gear part numbers didn't register, but they did at Ron Ayers and some Powersports Warehouse or something like that so I ordered them there (Powersports).

Had read something about Kawasaki no longer allowing parts for non-US models to be shipped here, but not sure if that is bunk or truth. Anyone else ordered (and received them) lately?

R

·
0 Posts
I'm looking to order some so if you could provide more accurate info on where you ordered them and the price it would be helpful.

I looked at Babbits and seemed like they were charging a ridiculous price for shipping.

Thanks,

Ride Safe

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I just got done installing mine about a month ago. Got the part #'s off one of the numerous threads about it here and ordered them through my local dealership (normally agree with the term "stealership" but, these guys have really done right by me with the whole project that I have been doing). They looked up the parts in their system and told me, "If the parts show up in our system, we can order them." I also mentioned that there were other people on here getting them cheaper than what he originally quoted me so, he took off another 10% or so. Still had to pay just a bit over what I heard other guys got them for but, didn't have to pay shipping either. Came in in about 10 days. I want to say I paid about $250 or just a little more for the 2 gears and the 2 gaskets. I also ordered that splined "washer/spacer" that I read that some people put on with that rear gear to take the play out of it. That is supposed to help get rid of that clunk that you sometimes hear when you are cruising at a pretty slow speed (maybe around 25 mph, or so) and I am really happy that I did that too. If you need, I can go back and look through my stuff and try to find the part # for that washer too. I thought that was a really good idea....especially after I did it. Now, the gears are great (love my new freeway cruising RPM) and those gears are nice and quiet.
If you feel like you might want to try to order them from the same place I did, let me know and I will pass on their info.

P.S. I also have a bunch of pix I took of the job but, I didn't post any because so many other people already had and mine really wasn't much different. There are a couple of things I would highly recommend. First, I think it was TallAnnie that gave me the idea to do the speedo shim first. I am really glad I did. Everyone mentions what a pain in the arse that is and none of them are lying. Probably took me a good 2 hours, or more, just to do that. I ended up cutting off a 5mm allen wrench so that I could stick that in the bolt and then used a 5mm wrench to unscrew it by gripping that piece. The place that is in is so small that you can't get a regular allen wrench on the bolt. Also, I have an air compressor in my garage so, I just used an impact gun to take off the nuts that hold those gears on. I highly recommend some kind of impact device. I've just read too many people's accounts of 5' cheater bars and not being able to get those things loose.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm looking to order some so if you could provide more accurate info on where you ordered them and the price it would be helpful.

I looked at Babbits and seemed like they were charging a ridiculous price for shipping.

Thanks,

Ride Safe
www.powersportswarehouse.com

1 of 16085-0027 - Kawasaki - GEAR,TRANSFER,44T @$89.24ea.

1 of 16085-0033 - Kawasaki - GEAR,TRANSFER,48T @$89.24ea.

1 of 11061-0017 - Kawasaki - GASKET,TRANSMISSION,INSIDE @$16.99ea.

1 of 11061-0018 - Kawasaki - GASKET,TRANSMISSION,OUTSIDE @$10.20ea.

Shipping is $22 on top of that so just under $230 total. If I thought I could have got them from my dealer for $250 like The Reverend said I'd probably have gone that way instead. Guess I should've given them a chance at the sale...

Now we'll see if Powersport Warehouse delivers the goods. ETA is 5/29 - 5/30.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have thought about this mod several times with my V2K. Would love to ride one first. Man 1st gear in the bikes are about useless unless you are towing your boat or camper with you. LOL. I figure its is a safe bet but can't pull the trigger on it my self.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got done installing mine about a month ago. ... Now, the gears are great (love my new freeway cruising RPM) and those gears are nice and quiet.
I know there are several threads about it, but since you're relatively new to the Euro gears what do you think of first gear?

The only concern I have stems from a trip to the Black Hills where on a couple of occasions having a low first and maybe 2nd gear to drop into rounding a sharp turn and encountering a steep hill was really nice with the heavy load that myself and my SO present. That sort of situation is not something I encounter around my normal stomping grounds, but just wondering your thoughts on how much change you perceive there might be in a situation like that.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I know there are several threads about it, but since you're relatively new to the Euro gears what do you think of first gear?

The only concern I have stems from a trip to the Black Hills where on a couple of occasions having a low first and maybe 2nd gear to drop into rounding a sharp turn and encountering a steep hill was really nice with the heavy load that myself and my SO present. That sort of situation is not something I encounter around my normal stomping grounds, but just wondering your thoughts on how much change you perceive there might be in a situation like that.

I love the new first gear. I weigh about 240 and my wife is....let's say not petite. We represent at least 450 lbs with us, helmets, boots, and all the stuff. I really don't see first gear as a ton different. I just stay in it long enough to make it feel like it was worth using now. I used to have to shift into second by the time I hit the end of my driveway. That machine is like a tractor in the lower gears. I've not been disappointed at any time since I've changed. I live in a pretty mountainous area and have some fairly steep climbs from time to time. I just think that, if you are already getting all the way down to first gear, you will have no problems.

R

·
0 Posts
I would like to know the part number of the splined spacer. You are the first to mention it that I have read.

I also ordered that splined "washer/spacer" that I read that some people put on with that rear gear to take the play out of it. That is supposed to help get rid of that clunk that you sometimes hear when you are cruising at a pretty slow speed (maybe around 25 mph, or so) and I am really happy that I did that too. If you need, I can go back and look through my stuff and try to find the part # for that washer too. I thought that was a really good idea....especially after I did it. Now, the gears are great (love my new freeway cruising RPM) and those gears are nice and quiet.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I would like to know the part number of the splined spacer. You are the first to mention it that I have read.

I also ordered that splined "washer/spacer" that I read that some people put on with that rear gear to take the play out of it. That is supposed to help get rid of that clunk that you sometimes hear when you are cruising at a pretty slow speed (maybe around 25 mph, or so) and I am really happy that I did that too. If you need, I can go back and look through my stuff and try to find the part # for that washer too. I thought that was a really good idea....especially after I did it. Now, the gears are great (love my new freeway cruising RPM) and those gears are nice and quiet.
I've been looking but, I am having a hard time finding that part#. I thought I had all the paperwork from all the stuff that I have ordered (I'm sure I have it somewhere). I will find it and pass it on but, it could be a few days. My step-son is graduating from Marine basic training this week so, I will be headed to San Diego for the rest of the week. I'll get back to looking for it when I get home from that.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts

Haha!! A quick search on here and I found it!

Here is a link to the thread that I read about it: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-26349.html

I think that part was about $3 so I thought, "Why not give it a shot?" He put his behind the gear. I put mine in front. I did that mostly because I had already buttoned up the inner tranny cover and didn't wan't to break that seal/gasket. Just pulled the nut back off, put this washer underneath (part # 92200-0017) and zipped the nut back on. Didn't have to take the inner tranny cover back off. I'm actually kind of happy I did it that way. The gears were lined up pretty much perfectly. If you put it on the inside, it would offset it slightly. Either way, I think would be totally fine. I just did it my way out of convenience. The one thing I didn't like about putting it on the outside was how nervous I was to make sure that the washer stayed exactly in place. So, I held it in place (to make sure it didn't slip back off the splined area) and had the wife run the nut down tight while I was holding it. I've also seen a lot of people on here that didn't put that washer on there. I really don't think that could cause any issues either. I think Poncho Villa said that "that's the way the Kawi engineers designed it, why not just leave it that way?" I just like how there is no slop in that gear when it is tightened on with this.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Here in Central Texas we have some hills which I use first gear on. Before the swap, I could do them in second. Now, first is fine. No issues with 8-10% grades fully loaded.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Arrived on schedule, and I'd really like to put them in today but someone I know (not me or mine...) planned a wedding on this three day holiday weekend, and I'm invited to the big event.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Euro Gears on an '08

I would agree with all the posts here in this thread.
I bit the bullet when I found that my local dealer could order the gears and gaskets. Total was just shy of 3 bills but the wait was about 3 weeks. They had trouble getting one of the gears in stock.

I found this link (http://rogueownersgroup.com/article.aspx?article=articles/EuroGears.htm) with good pics and explanations. They whole process took the better part of a day to do in the garage.
The stressful part was getting to the speed sensor. I cut down and bent a cheap 5MM hex wrench. It was a quarter turn at a time but it beats removing the battery box!
The ride is different but it's not a huge change. The shift points are a bit crisper and the gearing now seems appropriate for the hills here in Colorado and around town. The bike seems to perform like you would expect and it's more nimble in performance The "clunk" shifting is reduced so all in all I say it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I have it all tore apart and going back together...

It's kind of a pain in the arse. Hope it's worth it.

Messed around with trying the short bit of Allen wrench to get out the speed sensor. I think it's just as fast, maybe faster, to take part the plastic to get at it rather than cut up an Allen wrench and turning it about 1/8 turn at a time. Got mine most of the way out that way but then it started tearing up the heat shield stuff so took apart the plastic to go the rest of the way. Took me less time to take apart the plastic than all that dinking around the other way.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I assumed Kawasaki intentionally left the gear to float for some reason that's not immediately obvious.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Has anyone had any problems stemming from the installation of the washer verses allowing the gear to float on the splines as it was designed? I only ask because euro gears are in my long term plans and I want to make the bike the best it can be for me, preferably without generating any problems down the road.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
About the gearing itself, pretty good on the highway although you do have to get use to holding the lower gears a little longer. Around town I'm still finding myself frequently in too high a gear.

I'm sure the adaptation will come with time.

My evaluation? If you do mostly boulevard/town/occasional highway, just leave it as is. If you spend most of your time on the highway, as in long rides or touring then do it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts