Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Custom 900 with original exhaust and I want to make it more quiet. If anyone has done this please let me know what steps you took. If this can be done will I have to have anything done with the engines tuning?
I have read some of the other post on this topic but didn't find anyone that had quieted their bike. I was thinking about packing the standard baffle with some fiberglass until I achive the level of sound that I like and that does not severly alter the bikes performance. Let me know what you think of this idea!

·
Banned
334 Posts
Are you the original owner of the bike, or did you buy it used?

I'm asking because I suspect it was a used bike and the previous owner punched or removed the baffles.

The stock pipes are so quiet I cannot believe anyone would ever need or want to make them even quieter.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm curious as well to how stock your bike really is. post some pics besides that I know you could buy quiet core baffles (I think thats what they're called). I replaced my exhaust after 500 miles just so I could finally hear them... This would be a first I've ever heard of for someone wanting to make it quieter...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Take some pics of the rear of your exhaust. I imagine it's been modified. The stockers are so quiet you can hear all of the ticks and tings in the motor, part of the reason I made them louder!

If indeed your bike is 100% stock, it isn't going to get any quieter, nor is ANY V-Twin motorcycle. You might be in the wrong genre. I don't mean that offensively, but, V-Twins are noisey motors, and even with the latest emissions requirements, cat converters, mufflers, baffles, and whatever else they shove in there, it won't be totally quiet. A sport touring bike like a Kawasaki Concours or a Honda Goldwing will be much quieter, as it uses a quieter inline (or boxer, in the case of the wing) engine, and can get away with a more complex exhaust system thanks to most of the exhaust being hidden.

You might also consider riding with ear plugs. The wind noise is much louder than even loud pipes, ear plugs can be very helpful there. If you are thinking it's loud because you finish your ride with ringing ears, chances are it's the wind, not the bike that's doing that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I bought the bike with 74 miles on it, used. When I got the PA inspection by a Kawasaki dealer I asked him if there was anything I could do to make it run more quiet. He said the same thing that it was as quiet as it was going to get. I would still like to make it run even more quiet. And yes the baffles are still in and no modifications to the exhaust. Thanks for the recommendation about the fibrosleeves and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bought the bike with 74 miles on it, used. When I got the PA inspection by a Kawasaki dealer I asked him if there was anything I could do to make it run more quiet. He said the same thing that it was as quiet as it was going to get. I would still like to make it run even more quiet. And yes the baffles are still in and no modifications to the exhaust. Thanks for the recommendation about the fibrosleeves and any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Wear ear plugs! :D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
How fast do you ride it? When my pipes were stock I couldn't hear them above 35mph or so. The wind noise eclipses it completely. Ear plugs may be perfect in this situation. What kind of a helmet (if any) do you wear when you ride? You might also consider switching to a 3/4 or full helmet if they aren't uncomfortable for you (They don't bother me, personally, I prefer them). That'll cut SOME of the noise out for you (though, some cheap full/3/4 helmets can be noisier than none at all!)

The fibersleeves are neat but I wonder how you would install them. The baffles are not 'removable'. Those of us who have removed them CUT them out, and due to the design of the exhaust they can't easily be welded back in (you can't really get to the back weld, the procedure for debaffling involves bending and ultimately breaking the back end).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Loud pipes save lives. On my Yamaha I have stock exhaust and avoid about a wreck a week. On my Vulcan with no baffles its about one a month. I'd wear ear plugs. Hearing a bike is how most cagers even know we're around.

Sent from my M865 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'm curious about why you want to quiet your bike. I don't happen to believe the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" mythology, but there have been times when I'm sitting still and I have to twist the throttle to see if she's running. My '07 Custom is fully stock and the only time I can hear my pipes is when I'm rolling past cars or side rails and the sound bounces back at me. Even then it's barely noticeable. Are you concerned about the noise you're hearing or the noise others hear when you ride past?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm curious about why you want to quiet your bike. I don't happen to believe the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" mythology, but there have been times when I'm sitting still and I have to twist the throttle to see if she's running. My '07 Custom is fully stock and the only time I can hear my pipes is when I'm rolling past cars or side rails and the sound bounces back at me. Even then it's barely noticeable. Are you concerned about the noise you're hearing or the noise others hear when you ride past?
Wow, I do not think that the stockers are loud at all, but they are far from inaudible.

Steve, what kind of helmet do you wear? I have a cheap open face one and also a Shoei RF1000 full face for the colder days and I can hear the pipes plenty well. (No earplugs with either).

I was thinking it may be a "too-quiet" :D helmet that gives you the impression that the pipes cannot be heard - I really think they can.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Bass, I re-read my post and realized I left out a bit of info. The instances I'm talking about are when riding with other bikes. Any bike riding with me is loud enough to drown out my pipes. I wear a half helmet and once I'm up to speed the wind noise out strips the pipes (MS Big Shot windshield, no lowers). I have hard bags that probably block some of the sound too. Interesting side note, I've never ridden with another VN900, never seen one on the road either so I have no idea what my bike sounds like to other riders.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I'd be concerned about just adding glass to stock mufflers in that it will reduce gas flow and lower HP. The Intake, fuel metering, valve timing and exhaust are a tuned system. Just as going to reduced bac pressure pipes leans out a fuel system, adding back pressure will impede gas flow and may result in incomplete scavaging of spent gases from the cylinders. You may be better off to research aftermarket pipes that are designed to be quieter. That can be quite the challange as all I've ever seen offered are pipes designed to free up the exhaust gas flow which makes them inherently louder. Good luck with your challenge!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have to admit, this is the weirdest thread I've read in a loooooooooooong time.
+ another 1, I'm still waiting to hear from the O.P., WHY?

Obviously the simplest and by FAR the least expensive solution is ear plugs. Not only will they reduce the exhaust noise, they will also block out the noise from the click, ticking engine as well as wind noise.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Cyclesarge, that was my purpose in asking the "why?" question. It's such an unusual topic I started wondering why hrpskyrunner was asking in the first place. I'm not a fan of loud pipes but I never considered this bike loud. Well, it's interesting anyway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm going to take a different approach here on this noise issue. On my 08 LT what I hear is the induction, not the exhaust. Most of the noise associated with a full stock exhaust is the sound of the engine taking air thru the throttle body (induction noise). On a big cruiser (Wing, or such) the induction hardware is under the seat, where it is virtually silenced. On our beloved V-twins it is right there by your right knee - making that wonderful sound of power!!
Just thinking about is is making me miss it during winter layup.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts