Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered if anyone else has complained to Kaw. about the poor quality of the stock seat. I have a 2012 Classic SE, and my A$$ goes numb after 20 minutes. I dont think it's right that you pay 9 grand for a bike and cant even ride it. I took a 300 mile trip this summer and had to stop every 40 miles and i was in major pain. Obviously Kawasaki doesnt care they wont even respond to my calls, or horrible survey ratings i give them. probably nothing anyone can do but it's frustrating knowing im gonna have to drop 600 bucks on a mustang or something to even be able to ride this bike. :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Seats are always frustrating in all brand bikes with a few model exceptions that do have comfortable seats. I pulled the cover on my 1700 seat and sculpted the foam with a high speed grinder so I now actually "sit" in it, instead of sliding towards the tank.

Additionally if the vinyl ever wears out, good quality vinyl is available in the internet to replace it with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
They should just sell the bike without a seat.you have to get a new one anyway if you want to be able to ride it more than 40 miles.That is the first thing everyone changes anyway.

·
Registered
600 Posts
They should just sell the bike without a seat.you have to get a new one anyway if you want to be able to ride it more than 40 miles.That is the first thing everyone changes anyway.
I bet there are a of of people that wish the bikes came unpainted with no seat, tires or exhaust pipes....... :D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I just wondered if anyone else has complained to Kaw. about the poor quality of the stock seat. I have a 2012 Classic SE, and my A$$ goes numb after 20 minutes. I dont think it's right that you pay 9 grand for a bike and cant even ride it. I took a 300 mile trip this summer and had to stop every 40 miles and i was in major pain. Obviously Kawasaki doesnt care they wont even respond to my calls, or horrible survey ratings i give them. probably nothing anyone can do but it's frustrating knowing im gonna have to drop 600 bucks on a mustang or something to even be able to ride this bike. :mad::mad::mad:
I bought an AirHawk 2 years ago to put on that torture rack of a seat. I can do 200 miles pretty easy before I get too uncomfortable. Doesn't look as cool as a new seat but it's a cheap and effective alternative.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Plus 1 on the Airhawk. I just bought the R type. I can't believe the difference. First time I used it we went on a 400 mile trip. The last 50 miles were really starting to get uncomfortable. Before the Airhawk I wouldn't have made 150 before wanting to get off.
A bunch cheaper than a Mustang, and if you are uncomfortable with it, just adjust the air pressure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Airhawk looks like a good alternative. Wonder if the Pillon is just as good ?

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Seeing how the majority of bikes are sitting in garages and only see the light of day during perfect weather for short rides, none of the manufacturers are going to put a lot of money into the seat. There are a few models of bikes that are primarily purchased by bikers that will rack up serious miles, so those get better stuff. The Gold Wing comes to mind, as well as a few others. But I'm with vivadude, I would prefer if they would allow me to purchase the bike sans the common upgrade items, but that would cut into the profit margin, so it isn't going to happen!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The wife uses the Airhawk on the back. She also did 400 miles with little discomfort other than just very tired of sitting in one position for so long. She had very little discomfort from the seat. Before the A/H she was done at 50 miles.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I added the Mustang Touring seat. It is much better on the tukas and man bits but makes my back hurt a bit. I think that is from the higher seat height making me lean a bit more to grab the bars. Not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Seeing how the majority of bikes are sitting in garages and only see the light of day during perfect weather for short rides, none of the manufacturers are going to put a lot of money into the seat. There are a few models of bikes that are primarily purchased by bikers that will rack up serious miles, so those get better stuff. The Gold Wing comes to mind, as well as a few others. But I'm with vivadude, I would prefer if they would allow me to purchase the bike sans the common upgrade items, but that would cut into the profit margin, so it isn't going to happen!
Agree, they are not going to cut into profit margins, but what if a credit could be offered for those items and then placed a special order for the upgrades. I did that once with a Chevy truck. Only had to pay the difference for the replaced item.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm glad it's not just me who hated the stock seat. I just bought a used 2010 Classic LT and figured if I'm going to do any serious riding I better bite the bullet and buy a Mustang seat. Glad I did, even though it put a serious dent in my life savings! The driver's backrest and the much more comfortable seat made all the difference.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My Mustang seat wide touring with a backrest has completely changed my riding experience. Rode from Utah to Seattle and back in 500 mile legs with no problem....still not like a car seat but fairly comfortable if you get off ever 125 miles or so. I have about 5,000 miles on mine and it seems to be getting better all the time...maybe I'm getting used to it but the backrest makes a huge difference for me. Yes the stock seat was unbearable and I will never put it back on. I considered the Airhawk but it looked way to ridiculous for my style. I've heard they work though.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
How are the seats on the 2013s? I know they changed them on the Classic, not sure how the seat is on the custom. They are shaped different. I went to a Kawasaki focus group sometime last year and that was one of the things everyone told them about, we didn't like the seat so they obviously changed it, just haven't heard from anyone with a 2013 model.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I added the Mustang Touring seat. It is much better on the tukas and man bits but makes my back hurt a bit. I think that is from the higher seat height making me lean a bit more to grab the bars. Not sure.
try adjusting your handlebars either up or down ... ergonomics and posture play a big part in the riding experience.

To the OP ... having had more bikes than I can remember, I have yet to find one with a comfortable seat ... and this includes some higher priced sport tourers. It is what it is, and its not exclusive to Kawasaki.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I find the seat ok. If I do get a bit numb I lean forward a little for a short while. I find it much the same with most cruisers. My previous bike was a GSXR 600 - trust me, the VN900 stock seat is an armchair! :D I would imagine the aftermarket seats do make a difference - pricey though!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts