Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the Kawasaki Vulcan windshield installed on my 900 classic. Its the same size as the one that comes on the LT. It turned out to be too tall. Any comments about having one cut down? After paying almost 400 bucks for it, I hate to loose money trying to sell it just to turn around and buy a shorter one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mask tape both sides of the windsheild. Draw the cutting line on the tape. Then use a saber saw with a medium to fine blade... and cut it. Then take a belt sander or block sander with about 150 grit and smooth it off. Finish with a sponge sander to smooth and bevel the edges. Remove tape and polish. I did two Burgman 400 windsheilds(cut off 8 inches) and they look like factory.......

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can also take it to a local glass shop. I took to mine and they cut it down for 50 bucks. The biggest thing is the line is even and the kept the stock curve so it looks just a good, just shorter. I do a lot myself but felt it would be headache ahead since i sit right behind it the shield should be perfect.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I did it they way that is described above. Although I did add two steps.
1 - I made a template out of some thick paper board from the original curve on the top of the windshield. I used this to transfer the same curve 2" farther down from the top. You will probably have to make a little adjsutment at the bottom corners of the template per the curve will not mate perfectly there when you move it down.

2 - I used a propane torch to gently flame lick the edges after sanding. This really gives the edges a nice finish.

One other idea, I used a palm buzz sander to work the edges. You can get rid of a lot of the little imperfections that the jigsaw leaves by just working the buzz sander over the high spots.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is the correct height? I am new to riding and find there to be a lot of wind vibration for me and wife above 55MPH. Currently it is set at lowest position. If I sit up tall I can see over the top. Most of the time I ride 2 inches below top of shield. I am using a half face helmet. Full face this time will be too hot but plan on getting one once weather cools off.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Windshield height is a matter of taste. And no winshield will completely get rid of all wind buffeting. Although there are different levels of wind too. If you reach your hand above your helmet a few inches while doing 55mph, you will feel what the real wind is doing.

Originally I had my windshield where I looked through the top 2 inches to see the road. If I streched up I could barely see over it. However, after riding in the rain a few times, I realized that you could not see much through a wet windshield when your helmet shield or glasses were also wet. I cut mine down 2 inches so that I now look over the top. Even after the cut-down, the hard wind blast is still about 2-3 inches above my helmet.

·
Registered
950 Posts
What is the correct height? I am new to riding and find there to be a lot of wind vibration for me and wife above 55MPH. Currently it is set at lowest position. If I sit up tall I can see over the top. Most of the time I ride 2 inches below top of shield. I am using a half face helmet. Full face this time will be too hot but plan on getting one once weather cools off.
As you are sitting on the bike, the top of the windshield should be about even with the bridge of your nose. This allows you to look over the top in case of rain.

If your head is still shaking, try a set of lowers. This keeps air from swooshing up from under the shield and mixing with air going overtop, thus causing some turbulence around your head area. They can be manufactured fairly cheaply. Mine eliminated about 95% of the buffeting I was experiencing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
light bar mod?

Anyone cut off the bottom of the windshield to accommodate a light bar? I've got a Memphis Shades windshield and have no problem with the height. Unfortunately, according to the dealership I don't have room for a light bar due to how far down the windshield comes down (to about the bottom of the headlight on either side). Maybe cutting some off the bottom of the windshield will allow room for a light bar? Any advice would be appreciated. http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff433/RandyG11/101.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
I cut my lowers to accommodate the lightbar. used the procedure outlined above to cut them (I did tape them together so the cut is identical). It worked perfectly. I used a 24 tooth blade in a variable speed sabre saw and took it SLOW. Let the saw cut, not melt, its way thru. It will try to vibrate like a bear, but as long as you dont let it start to flex it will cut, not crack. Finished it off with a file, then sanded it. Looks great. I also taped the foot of the saw so it did not scratch. I also put the tape on both sides of the lexan to avoid scratches.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks. Now that I know the technique, I just have to muster the courage and actually cut the windshield myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts