Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I got a chance to try a new 2011 Triumph Speedmaster. I really like the feel of the bike and the way it handled, but I did not notice significant more power over my Vulcan 500. However, I am considering buying one because the bike is longer and more comfortable than my 500. I would like feedback from other riders concerning the speedmaster good or bad.

I know one thing, I look really cool on it:cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Triumphs..

I haven't ridden any, but have a strong intrest. Really like the thunder bird, and the speed triple.

I don't go to dealers often, but I keep finding myself in the triumph dealership. Some really nice bikes.

If you get one hook us up with a good review and pictures please.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a good friend who has one. He loves it. He was in town recently and he rented a Harley fatboy for the day so we could ride and he felt the speedmaster was superior in comfort and handling in every respect.

If you go to the bottom of the main forum page you can click on Triumph forum and go to the speedmaster, america threads. There are some people in there who although they like their bikes complain about the high revving vibrations and needing a 6th gear. Same thing we hear a lot on the 900 threads. My friend never complained about this to me when I was asking him how he liked the triumph. He used to own a sportster and he said no comparison. Winner Triumph!

Did you guys know that the iconic seen in the great escape movie ( My Avatar) where Steve Mqueen is running from the Germans on a motorcycle that it really is a Triumph disguised to look like a German WWII BMW motorbike? The BMW did not have enough power to get up in the air and jump like the Triumph.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a good friend who has one. He loves it. He was in town recently and he rented a Harley fatboy for the day so we could ride and he felt the speedmaster was superior in comfort and handling in every respect.

If you go to the bottom of the main forum page you can click on Triumph forum and go to the speedmaster, america threads. There are some people in there who although they like their bikes complain about the high revving vibrations and needing a 6th gear. Same thing we hear a lot on the 900 threads. My friend never complained about this to me when I was asking him how he liked the triumph. He used to own a sportster and he said no comparison. Winner Triumph!

Did you guys know that the iconic seen in the great escape movie ( My Avatar) where Steve Mqueen is running from the Germans on a motorcycle that it really is a Triumph disguised to look like a German WWII BMW motorbike? The BMW did not have enough power to get up in the air and jump like the Triumph.
Yes, I knew that about the bike steve mqueen had in the movie was a triumph. Did you know Fonzy on happy Days rode a Triumph and so did James Dean! Cool is as cool does:cool:

·
Registered
409 Posts
I love the Triumphs! I had a 1999 Sprint ST955i. Very smooth and fast and fun. I love most of the new Triumph models too.

I haven't ridden a Speedmaster, but I have ridden a 2009 Scrambler, which from what I can tell on the internet specs. these two bikes have the same engine.

Anyway, I thought the Scrambler was quite a peppy little bike and had adequate speed and power for the size. I am used to my Vulcan, so I still would say the bike was fun. I did not like the exhaust on the Scrambler though. I is high and sticks out wide and I felt my leg had to stretch out a bit farther not to touch it.

All in all for the short ride I took on the bike with the same motor.... I liked it. I hope this helps out a bit on your question :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had a 09 Triumph America. It was a nice bike but it had some real quirks to it as well. They are very tempermental in cold weather. I had the first year of the fuel injected model and with triumph aftermarket pipes, could not get the bike tuned for crap. It was misfiring and popping and backfiring. Even with ecu retuned by dealer and air induction removed still did it. Lots of cheap plastic parts and terrible laquer worming of forks and triple trees. Thats when the protective coating wears off the polished aluminum and starts peeling. Looked like crap. For the price point it is O.K. Not a lot of power and hard to get aftermarket stuff if you want bags, windshield, and that kind of stuff unless you buy from triumph which is expensive. All in all, the bike is average. I traded mine in and got a new but leftover 08 Vulcan 2000 classic LT. I wanted something with more power, tourqe and touring capabilities. It would make a fun second bike but if you want to go triumph I would really consider going up to the thunderbird. New speedmaster and America do have some nice improvments from my 09. I also didnt like the plastic fender and cheap engine covers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts