Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone have experience mounting a Wideglide front end on a Vulcan 800?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I have experience with mounting a Wide-Glide Springer. (DNA)

You can:
1: Press out the Kawi stem and have it pressed in a Wide-Glide tree.
2: Use custom bearings and races, to fit the 1" dia HD stem.

Ardcore Choppers makes a kit of custom bearings that allow you to do this.
(They are AllsBalls bearings, with custom OD/ID, plus a few spacers to make up the length dif.)

The kit is designed to work with DNA springer, but should work well with other wide glide style trees.

You will also need to convert to an HD wheel/brake setup, or have a custom axle/space/brake mount made for the Vulcan Wheel.

In the end, I went for an entire HD front end, including wheel and brake

A note of caution, if you find a Wide-Glide spaced Springer interesting, it will NOT work without major frame mods.

Hope this info helps a bit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vn 800a front end is somewhat of a wide glide style isn't it?
What would be the difference?
The triple trees are better looking, more of a solid construction instead of using a crappy chrome cover on the lower tree. A buddy has one sitting in his garage, so I figured if it were an easy swap I could do that and improve the look of my front end. I got my bike from a guy who had it sitting in his backyard for 5 years, out in the weather, not running, so there's a lot of rust on the chrome pieces... Looks like crap.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
I see now, getting rid of the rusty chrome covers.

The older vn 1500 front ends are kinda the same style as the harleys except a little narrower than the stock vn 800 trees. They are a direct fit but a fork stop will have to be fab'd.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The triple trees are better looking, more of a solid construction instead of using a crappy chrome cover on the lower tree. A buddy has one sitting in his garage, so I figured if it were an easy swap I could do that and improve the look of my front end. I got my bike from a guy who had it sitting in his backyard for 5 years, out in the weather, not running, so there's a lot of rust on the chrome pieces... Looks like crap.

AME chopper make kits for vulcans that allow you to use the stock wheel, and come in a variety of rakes. Heres my 800 chopper with 45 degree, 8" over stock forks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
AME chopper make kits for vulcans that allow you to use the stock wheel, and come in a variety of rakes. Heres my 800 chopper with 45 degree, 8" over stock forks.
Nice bike

I *almost* did the same thing. (Chopper Supply)
The guy who sells them is really helpfull

But I really wanted a Springer.

In the end, it worked out that my frame mods were cheaper than the complete kit. ($1999.00 (plus shipping) vs $800 for the frame work, + $1100 for Springer/wheel/brake)

However, for those who don't want to cut up their precious ride, those kits offer "the look" for less hassle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I spent most of the summer working on it last year.
So I missed out on a lot of riding.

Are you going to do the swap?
Well, it looks like it was a worthy sacrifice!

Still working it out in my head. I would much prefer a springer and setting it up like yours but, I just don't have they extra cash sitting around to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts