1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I don't like Victory's motorcycles, at all. They look weird, and aren't sexy at all. A Harley Davidson, however, will make me moist . . . just sayin'!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Victory makes a great motorcycle and their engines probably are some of the best on the market. Our CMA national guys/gals all ride Victory's and run well over 100,000 miles a year. They ROUTINELY run 200-300k+ on their Victory's (usually cross country tour or Vision) with just regular maintenance.

Just wish they had a little more chrome :). I am hoping that polaris brings the same innovations and same insane reliability to Indian. I know they are already doing the 'under tank' intake where it brings in cold air from the front of the bike instead of hot air from the side of the bike.

My wife calls the Victory Vision a 'spaceship'. At 5', she can barely pick up my 900LT. (It does have a lot of added weight on it, and is tall). But she can hop on a Vision, and pick it straight up with ease. Definitely well balanced.

I think the REAL difference between H-D and Victory, is that H-D is form over function, and Victory is function over form. For both companies; it's sometimes to a fault. Where H-D is willing to forego modern technologies that would improve performance, comfort and reliability for fear that they would change something; Victory will run whatever the best tech is regardless of what it'll make the bike look like. BUT, at least, the Victory isn't the same ol' same ol'. The cross country styling is growing on me.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I think the REAL difference between H-D and Victory, is that H-D is form over function, and Victory is function over form. For both companies; it's sometimes to a fault. Where H-D is willing to forego modern technologies that would improve performance, comfort and reliability for fear that they would change something; Victory will run whatever the best tech is regardless of what it'll make the bike look like. BUT, at least, the Victory isn't the same ol' same ol'. The cross country styling is growing on me.
I think I disagree with you here, Romans. I think Victory is a blend of function AND form. As has been said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but when you've owned one for a while, you really appreciate the attention to detail on them. But you are right in pointing out that Victory would sacrifice form FOR function...I agree with that to an extent. There are bikes where this is not the case, like the Boardwalk and Jackpot, but for the touring line...the blend is definitely form-heavy.

As for H-D riders who may not appreciate a Victory's beauty...maybe if they got to see something besides the taillight they could appreciate it...:eek:

:D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I think I disagree with you here, Romans. I think Victory is a blend of function AND form. As has been said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but when you've owned one for a while, you really appreciate the attention to detail on them. But you are right in pointing out that Victory would sacrifice form FOR function...I agree with that to an extent. There are bikes where this is not the case, like the Boardwalk and Jackpot, but for the touring line...the blend is definitely form-heavy.

As for H-D riders who may not appreciate a Victory's beauty...maybe if they got to see something besides the taillight they could appreciate it...:eek:

Well that may be; and I don't think they 'ignored' form, I just think it was secondary. In other words; when it comes to the fairing, I think they probably first took it to the wind tunnel and decided what made the best fairing from the riders perspective, no buffeting, best wind protection, etc. Then 'cleaned it up' to make it look good. As opposed to other brands (not just H-D either) who stick with what looks good, and maybe tweak it a bit to make it more comfortable.

Naturally, I'm not a Victory engineer so I could be wrong. But when I look at a Victory, I see a bike that was built from the ground up to be reliable and a great ride, and then afterwards somebody came around with a fine toothed comb and made it look good. Like the floorboards, designed to be big, fit boots (With size 13 feet and good boots my feet almost get 'jammed' between the heel toe shifter of a Harley, and would on my Vulcan too if the 'heel' shifter wasn't flush with the board). Someone probably then looked at it afterwards and tapered it in to the bike to give it that 'integrated' look. As opposed to the de facto standard of a floorboard hanging off of the side of the bike.

At least, that's what I see when I look at these Victory bikes. At least the touring platforms (which is the ones I'm most interested in).

I'm happy with my bike, but I have been seriously looking at Victory. Also intrigued by Indian. I love the styling of H-D (admittedly, I do prefer it; but that's entirely subjective). But as many times as I've ridden (several) Harley's, it's just not the ride I'm after. It's not a good fit, and it's not a good ride (for me). I want to like them, but they just don't make the bike for me. The Victory styling isn't my favorite (but I don't think it's ugly), but boy they fit like a glove and ride like a champ. I think at this stage I'm preferring the latter.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Derp...I need to proofread myself better. When I said on the touring bikes the blend is "form-heavy", I meant "function-heavy", and yes, I agree with your assessment of function first, form second.

DUR. lol

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I am a big fan of Victory; and for the most part I think they put MOST of their concern into function....with a few exceptions.:):rolleyes:

That big ol Twin is beautifully displayed! But, in triple digit heat it's like a furnace. I know, big bikes are hot!.
My VV has the KAMS, which is damned ugly, but the function is great!.
I know Victory experimented with oil coolers and I know they decided not to use a large one. Luci, do they have any kind of oil cooler stock?
Anyway, my point is they could innovate a more comfortable riding temp. But, chose to show off that beautiful, uncluttered engine.
They are after the American made crowd after all.

The side bags on the Vision remind me of a 70's Vette.:)
But, the clamshell design and small storage area provide poor function.

I know a lot of bikes have the key on the side, but really??? Does ANYONE think this is a good idea functionally?

Anyway, I think they have great tech and do a better job balancing function over form than some.
But, they are still fighting tooth and nail for market share. I hope they keep it up.

Scott

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I am a big fan of Victory; and for the most part I think they put MOST of their concern into function....with a few exceptions.:):rolleyes:

That big ol Twin is beautifully displayed! But, in triple digit heat it's like a furnace. I know, big bikes are hot!.
I know Victory experimented with oil coolers and I know they decided not to use a large one. Luci, do they have any kind of oil cooler stock?
Anyway, my point is they could innovate a more comfortable riding temp. But, chose to show off that beautiful, uncluttered engine.

I know a lot of bikes have the key on the side, but really??? Does ANYONE think this is a good idea functionally?

Anyway, I think they have great tech and do a better job balancing function over form than some.
But, they are still fighting tooth and nail for market share. I hope they keep it up.

Scott
Scott, all the Vics use an oil cooler. The experiment was with capacity, rather than use in general. On the early V92s the cooler was too big and made the motor run too cool and take too long to warm up properly, which affected performance. They reduced the volume of the cooler by 50%.

These aren't crankcase oil coolers like HDs either. Vic coolers are fed by a high-volume/low-pressure sump on the oil pump that cools oil from the crankcase before feeding it through the heads from the top-down for cooling only.

And I know a lot of you guys are concerned with the heat because they're not water cooled. I haven't ridden a full-dresser touring rig like the Vision or XCT, so I can't speak to how the closed fairing on the Vision or the XCT's hard lowers affect heat, but my XR is really not any hotter to sit on in traffic than my 9 was. It's hot, but on my calves and a lot of that's because of the pipes rather than the engine. The 9 would kick on the radiator fan and do its best to nuke my junk on a hot day. A good crosswind through the jugs and I notice a little too, but really, it's a negligible difference.

and yes, the side bags on the vision are a bit dinky and awkward lol...I agree. But chatter on the Vic forum seems to line up that they hold more than they appear...TARDIS effect maybe? lol

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

Scott
They ALL have oil coolers. But apparently, with the originally engineered oil coolers, the engines would overcool in anything but the hottest temps at the lowest speeds. That's why liquid cooling is so versatile; because it uses a thermostat. If it's 30 degrees outside my fan won't run and that water won't flow very much! If it's 110 then it'll be pumping through the engine with a fan at full blast. Wish Kawasaki would use full liquid cooling on the 1700 line, not just the heads.

One cool thing about Victory though, is that's it's a single platform. Every bike (EVERY bike) can have cruise control installed, it has the same engine, same transmission, etc. etc. In fact, I'm pretty sure (if for some strange reason you wanted to) the optional Reverse on the Victory Vision can be installed on ANY Victory.

I imagine you could install a bigger oil cooler. But that wouldn't work up here where I ride in temps that get near freezing. (Well they get lower than that but that's about as low as I usually ride unless there's a really good reason). The oil would never be at operating temperature.

Liquid cooling really is the best. Why oh why the Japanese bikes are the only ones that'll do it I don't know. Liquid cooling works in Death Valley in July at record breaking temps, and liquid cooling works in Canada below freezing with the snow blowing around. But then, most motorcyclists ride just a couple thousand miles a year and don't ride when it's cold, nor when it's hot. So, I guess there's less of a market for it.

Not a fan of side opening bags either. Always seemed silly. Although at least with these, the 'floor' is not part of the lid like other bikes.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
the cooler was too big and made the motor run too cool and take too long to warm up properly, which affected performance.
the engines would overcool in anything but the hottest temps at the lowest speeds.
I remember watching the videos concerning their experiments with oil cooling when I was researching the bikes, and wishing they had gone with the option that they say 'overcooled'. Maybe, it's the difference between riding in TX & MN.

I don't see why a thermostat couldn't be used with oil.

Even with the 'precision' of liquid cooling I would be surprised if our oil gets to operating temp when riding in the 30s.
Especially in the 900 that cools more of the jugs.
Oil is not nearly as efficient at removing heat. About 50% from what I read.

My opinion, YMMV, is that the size of the oil coolers and the absence of liquid cooling on the Vics is more to do with style than function.

Scott

P.S.
I have ridden the XCT in triple digits. It is a complete FURNACE!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Something about the Victory line that grabbed my attention was that 'attention to detal' that they put into their bikes. Not only are you getting a ton of nice features, you're getting it at a relatively affordable price. Theyr'e comparable to Harley's, but with all modern tech, and then some.

Something I noticed when hopping onto their cross-country framed bikes was the slight concave tank where your legs rest. The tank is normal until about 6 inches from where it hits the sit. It folds in allowing you to hug the bike's frame tighter, giving you better control and a more comfortable ride.

You can see what I'm talking about here:

It's just little stuff like that that I really appreciate. I'm decking out my 900 right now with the intention of keeping it for the long term (going bobber with it and keeping it as my around-town bike). When I'm ready to add to my collection and get a touring-capable bike, I'll probably pick up a Cross Country for myself to enjoy on the weekends and on touring vacations.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Something about the Victory line that grabbed my attention was that 'attention to detal' that they put into their bikes. Not only are you getting a ton of nice features, you're getting it at a relatively affordable price. Theyr'e comparable to Harley's, but with all modern tech, and then some.

It's just little stuff like that that I really appreciate. I'm decking out my 900 right now with the intention of keeping it for the long term (going bobber with it and keeping it as my around-town bike). When I'm ready to add to my collection and get a touring-capable bike, I'll probably pick up a Cross Country for myself to enjoy on the weekends and on touring vacations.
I'm thinking the same. Although I love my 900 so much and it's reaallly tough to pry me away from my paid off bike that hasn't let me down yet. But eventually (a year? 5 years?) I'll get a touring bike, something like a Victory XCT or a Voyager. The strip all of the touring accoutrouments I've accumulated on the 900, put some 10" Ape's, take off the front fender, slap a solo seat on it. I personally think the VN900 Custom, all blacked out, as a bobber, is way way way overdone. And I intend to show y'all that a chrome-tastic blue and silver two tone Classic LT can be an AWESOME bobber. I also think it'll be a little bit unique since most folks don't bob the LT (why pay extra for a bike you're going to take everything off of). So there really aren't any with the two tone paint.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm thinking the same. Although I love my 900 so much and it's reaallly tough to pry me away from my paid off bike that hasn't let me down yet. But eventually (a year? 5 years?) I'll get a touring bike, something like a Victory XCT or a Voyager. The strip all of the touring accoutrouments I've accumulated on the 900, put some 10" Ape's, take off the front fender, slap a solo seat on it. I personally think the VN900 Custom, all blacked out, as a bobber, is way way way overdone. And I intend to show y'all that a chrome-tastic blue and silver two tone Classic LT can be an AWESOME bobber. I also think it'll be a little bit unique since most folks don't bob the LT (why pay extra for a bike you're going to take everything off of). So there really aren't any with the two tone paint.
I'm doing something similar. I'm gonna stick with my bike's 'deep ocean blue', color-match the fenders, and get a brown seat. Should look very unique up here where everyone rides black Street/Road Glides. Lots of riders in Maine, but 80% of them are on touring Harleys. I only spot maybe one or two other metric bikes a week.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm doing something similar. I'm gonna stick with my bike's 'deep ocean blue', color-match the fenders, and get a brown seat. Should look very unique up here where everyone rides black Street/Road Glides. Lots of riders in Maine, but 80% of them are on touring Harleys. I only spot maybe one or two other metric bikes a week.
Same here. Lots of touring Harley's. And they are all black. Lots and lots of boring black motorcycles.

Mine is set up now as more of a touring bike. My "couch-a-saki". Super comfy. But if I have another touring bike I can do some more exciting things to my 900.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Lots of discussion here, and after watching all the clips, I am convinced HD is falling behind the times (at least with technology). Love the old school looks of HD, but would it hurt so much to bring some of the new technology into the new lines.... While keeping the traditional designs? There is some great technology/engineering making bikes more reliable while increasing HP/Torque.

I have always liked HDs for their styling, just not the price & reliability...

·
Registered
340 Posts
As has been said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but when you've owned one for a while, you really appreciate the attention to detail on them. But you are right in pointing out that Victory would sacrifice form FOR function...I agree with that to an extent. There are bikes where this is not the case, like the Boardwalk and Jackpot, but for the touring line...the blend is definitely form-heavy.

I definitely see more than just tail lights on my bikes, but the Victory profile from the side..
I don't Know.. weird headlight placement or something

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was a little timid riding such a bigger bike. After, 300 miles on the Victory XC is rides seamlessly! It's about 200 lbs heavier than the VN900. Even in town it's feels like you're floating. I know this is a Vulcan forum. :$

1 - 20 of 85 Posts