Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1700 Nomad and I just purchased the Wompus Rack and a Harley Tour Pack from A1 Hardbags. This is a Harley knock off so the install will be the same as a Harley Tour Pack. Looking for some help from those that have done this install. What other type of hardware have you used. Plate on the inside of the bottom of the tour pack? Yes or No? This one does not have any. Since the rack is about 15 inches wide the tabs on the bottom of the tour pack are the only parts that make direct contact to the rack. Did you made any modifications or add any metal for a stronger bottom on the outside of the pack or on top or the rack? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Yes you do want to distribute pressure at the rack posts...

When I put my generic rack on my Voyager I got 2 inch wide aluminum metal strips from Home depot and polished them up and used them for support strips under the rack and inside the trunk. (top and bottom sides) similar to what came with the Yamaha rack (only they were steel) I had on my Venture.

I don't remember the exact thickness but they had three thickness's and I got the middle one. I would say around 1/8.

Easy to cut and round the ends off, easy to polish, and will bend to the contours of the trunk. I made them 3 inches longer than the distance between the rack posts. Then the edge was 1 1/2 inches past the mounting post. The metal went front to back direction not side to side of course...

All you want to do is distribute the rack mounting posts pressure points where it is less stressful at the posts. I carry a LOT of weight in my trunk bag.

Also one of my true value hardware stores has an assortment of chromed washers in various diameters. You could also use those.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts