Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Okay so a buddy of mine is going to give me (free, can't beat that with a stick), an almost brand new Harley-Davidson seat, it's sold through Harley but I'm not sure what manufacturer (but man is it comfy) has nice shiny "H-D" logos on the side. It's aftermarket, meant to fit a Road King.

He thinks we can make it fit, eyeballing it, hold the seats next to each other, they look pretty close. Anyone ever modify a harley seat to fit our bikes? (Or modify the bike to fit the seat?)

Man, for a free seat, I'm all for doing a little modding!

I'm THINKING, that I can remove the factory seat latch, and maybe a little sanding here a little filling in there, and I can just put the seat right on and drill and tap a hole in the fender (or more likely weld a nut) to mount the seat.

Any insight on this project?

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
sorry but you wont be doing any tapping or weling to that fender .....its plastic

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sorry but you wont be doing any tapping or weling to that fender .....its plastic
You my friend underestimate the power of JB weld and American ingenuity :D

I'm sure I could figure something out for getting that rear bolt on... Just curious if anyone has done this before.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think I would modify the seat and exhaust those posibilities before I would mod the bike. You might be able to put your seat hardware on the HD one and figure something out. Man now you got me thinking I have a friend that just changed his tank and seat(same one I had give me the sporty pipes that I decided against.) hmmmmm problem is tho a sporty is such a smaller bike.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
r58,, now yor thinkin outside the cardboard box. Go for it! and you don't have to mount it the way hardley does jus cuz it looks ez. Take that metal tang off the seat pan. set, fit the seat to the bike. Look where it fits and doesn't. mod the seat not the bike. Keep yor eyes and mind open for fitment and securing methods. youl be surprised at how many ideas present themselves if you don't lock into just one, the way it always was.
Consider at least temp while you do discovery, use 2" wide industrial velcrose to seat pan and frame. Home depot. I use this stuff cuz I don't like nuts bolts keys lox cetera. worx!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Who says the seat actually has to be secured lol. All last year I rode a 79 honda Total custom bike nothing was stock and a nice looking ride. The seat wasn't attached at all. It was a custom solo and while made to fit the frame and it didn't slide around you could still pick it right up off the bike when you stepped off. Never gave me any problems while riding caquse it fit the frame well.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
oh im not saying that the seat cant be made to fit....or the bike made to fit the seat...just pointing out that the fender is plastic therefore "welding" a nut on there not gonna happen but since you mentioned good ole jb weld you could use that to secure a bolt comming up from the underside of the fender then use one of those chromed acorn nuts to secure the seat

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm open for ideas. There's quite a gap...

The problem with modifying the seat too much is that if the shape is changed too much the seat would become uncomfortable (thus negating the original intent!)

Thoughts? Ideas?

I could run a plate or something where it's at and figure out a way to dress it up, but I'm sure if I wanna be raised up 4 inches like that!!

So I'm open for any thoughts as to how I could get that thing to fit...

It came out of a box that said mustang. (Sure is a super comfy seat... I mean SUPER comfy.. nice thick foam). I don't know if it's a mustang seat, or just the box used to store the stock seat by a guy who bought a mustang seat for his bike. If it IS a mustang seat, any ideas if Mustang would take it and mate it to a new seat pan for a fee? I know Russel will do that.

Thoughts?

-John

Edit: It is a one piece seat of course. I looked at the possibility of cutting it in half to make it fit 'closer' (then maybe running a strip of leather as a 'bib' between the two seats), but aside from how complicated that begins to make the project, that isn't going to be possible on this seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts