Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a friend who just bought a 1998 police Road King. It is immaculate. I do like Harleys, and personally would like (to have) own(ed) a new Heritage Softail, I just will never spend the $$$.

Here is my point: ........after helping him get it off the trailer, I couldn't help but notice how puny it was. Little back tire, little tank, little 80ci (even 88, even 96 even cvo103) motor. Overall kind of a "girly-man" bike

You are undeniably sitting on a massive bike when you straddle a VN2K. And...granted....this may not be for everyone.

Size isn't really important...................................whatever.

With all the little "ticks" the VN2k has (for me), I cannot go back to something smaller. I'd be more likely to go with a Rocket lll ........if anything at all.

However, if I do really go "smaller", for my wifes sake, it will be another GL1800....GREAT BIKE

·
Registered
987 Posts
big stuff

I have a very large friend (6'5", 285) who just bought a really pretty Softtail. I think he looks uncomfortable on it, even with the crash bar pegs he just put on. He came over to the house for a beer one evening, so I suggested he take the V2K for a spin. I followed him on my 900c, passing him at one stage at full throttle. He gave the V2K a good twist and rocketed past me. When I caught up to him again, he just turned his head toward me and said "wow".

Not too many bikes out there for hypothyroids, the V2K, the Rocket III, the Stratoliner, and a couple of the Victory customs.:cool:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a friend who just bought a 1998 police Road King. I couldn't help but notice how puny it was.
I don't want to fan the fire of ignorance and freedom of choice.
But I do get a kick when I see an an over-sized individual on one of these bikes.
Its like a 6 1/2 ft person in a small red sports car . :confused:

Somethings are just not right sometimes.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My wife and I were talking about this over the summer.
We have gotten spoiled by the size of this machine. Everything else looks small.

Don't know what we would get next. Fortunately, it's fairly new and won't need to be replaced for many years.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife and I were talking about this over the summer.
We have gotten spoiled by the size of this machine. Everything else looks small.

Don't know what we would get next. Fortunately, it's fairly new and won't need to be replaced for many years.

My wife actually picked out this bike. Her criteria was.......wheelbase, followed by engine size, and she liked the look somewhat. It was hard to get her interested in anything after the GL1800. Anyway, she equates wheelbase into room 2 up, which in this case is true. There is room to move around between us.

I looked at a nice Valkyrie the other day. It felt small to sit on. I am used to the massive VN2K gas tank for one thing. There is more just........ total mass on the Vulcan than anything I've straddled. Some don't like the mass but I personally do

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't want to fan the fire of ignorance and freedom of choice.
But I do get a kick when I see an an over-sized individual on one of these bikes.
Its like a 6 1/2 ft person in a small red sports car . :confused:

Somethings are just not right sometimes.
Hey, wait a second, im 6'4 and drive a mini cooper s

·
Registered
91 Posts
Na, you look good driving it. Its the other guys !

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time! :D:D:D

Growing up I had always thought of the Harley as the behemoth of all bikes...til I through my leg over my VN2K. I will never own another Harley.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just recently bought a second bike. I always wanted to know what was the hype about Harleys so I just picked up a 05 Dyna wide glide for dirt cheap. I told my friends I was looking for a small kick around town bike and thats just what I got. Love my V2K but Im going to save it as my touring bike and long distance plus 2 up bike for the wife and my harley will be my Bar hopper/ beach bike and weekend cruise around town/ make some noise bike. I was running the miles up on the V2k also so the other bike will give it a little relief. Love the Harley, got it for 7900 all done up but it is like riding a bicycle compared to the V2K. Harley has 95 kit with 550 cams and guy at shop where i bought it said wait till you see the power and speed, then I told him what I was already riding and then took it for test, no comparison, the V2K is so much more powerful and faster. I told the guy it was not even close. Once again love both bikes. They will both serve a purpose, same in some aspects and completly diffrent in others. Two totally different types of rides. Harley is slightly raked and has chopper look and feel. V2K, powerful,huge touring, bagger. Best of Both worlds.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
want more, bigger, faster? buy it thataway.

I just picked up a 05 Dyna wide glide for dirt cheap., got it for 7900 all done up but it is like riding a bicycle compared to the V2K. Harley has 95 kit with 550 cams and guy at shop where i bought it said wait till you see the power and speed, then I told him what I was already riding and then took it for test, no comparison, the V2K is so much more powerful and faster.
mac, 05's are last year old design. 06 the dyna's got new frames, wheels, motor mounts and tran fitment, 6 speeds, 49mm front ends. 07 they got the 96ci upgrade. I almost bought 05 back then, but here in texas they wanted 16+2+2=20k for a friggen standard. instead I bought a lovely 05 roadstar for half that. the next year I got an 06 from chicago harley for 11.2k OTD. rode it 12k miles and sold it for 10.9k.

back to hd stock'rs.. even if you do factory upgrades, 95ci bore kits, cams n other type ego boosters... you will diminish the reliability significantly. ever see a (bunch) of hd's sittin on the side of the road. reason is that the bike that breaks down (regularily) is the one that has been modified. dont go there.

leave em stock and they will go near forever. same for the kaw. out, ponch

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've got a friend who bought a 883 a few years back. He's about 6'1" so he looks like an orangutan humping a football he still has it and rides it, his elbows litterallly hit his knees. The V2K is my second bike to my '99 Buell. Completely different tools for different jobs. The Buell now sports 1250cc's but is only a little over 400 lbs and is very nimble, I expect change back after turning on a dime but she's down for a little TLC so the Vulcan is the main ride now and I love it, very glad I picked it up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
mac, 05's are last year old design. 06 the dyna's got new frames, wheels, motor mounts and tran fitment, 6 speeds, 49mm front ends. 07 they got the 96ci upgrade. I almost bought 05 back then, but here in texas they wanted 16+2+2=20k for a friggen standard. instead I bought a lovely 05 roadstar for half that. the next year I got an 06 from chicago harley for 11.2k OTD. rode it 12k miles and sold it for 10.9k.

back to hd stock'rs.. even if you do factory upgrades, 95ci bore kits, cams n other type ego boosters... you will diminish the reliability significantly. ever see a (bunch) of hd's sittin on the side of the road. reason is that the bike that breaks down (regularily) is the one that has been modified. dont go there.

leave em stock and they will go near forever. same for the kaw. out, ponch
Wow Ponch, you didnt make me feel very positive about the new addition to my collection. Im wondering if its still a good purchase of the harley as my second bike. Well anyway, I know they changed everything in 06 and 07 but that is also why I only paid 7900.00 for the 05. The other bikes are going for 12 and up. No problems so far, only time will tell. Bike is still a nice bike and im not going to race it around even with that 95 kit and so on, im just going to use it as a relaxing weekend around town criuser and use my V2K for my road trips and two up riding, plus cold weather riding due to wind shield.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Wow Ponch, you didnt make me feel very positive about the new addition to my collection. Im wondering if its still a good purchase of the harley as my second bike. Well anyway, I know they changed everything in 06 and 07 but that is also why I only paid 7900.00 for the 05. The other bikes are going for 12 and up.
sorry ther mac, didn mean to step on it... that hard. them dyna's been round long time... well ever since Willy G. stuffed a big block motor in a sportster frame. with reasonable care and no excessive abuse, it should go the distance. My 06 superglide was a great handling bike and would have made a good back up. I sold it after getting Betty..the buick.

my rant regards the power enhancers; I ride with a number of hardley types. the boys who keep them stock never have any breakdowns. the fellas who punch and cam em seem to always have stuff breaking or falling off. it might be they abuse them and are weak on the maintenance.

anyway, sorry for raining on yor parade. the dynas a good bike, take care of it and it will take care of you. out, ponch

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thats O.K. Ponch, Im going to baby it anyway, plus bike looks to be very well taken care of so Im not too worried. At first when the shop I bought it from told me about the upgrades, I was a little sceptical because I too am not crazy about major engine mods but over there on the other side of the fence in there forum, the 95" kit seems like the thing their all doing and most of them seem very happy so I went with it and just have to take care of her like I do my V2K and hopefully Ill never have a problem. Your forgiven Ponch.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Thats O.K. Ponch, Your forgiven.
seems like dodging bullets is all I am good at anymore these days..:foot-in-mouth:sheesh.

·
Registered
305 Posts
seems like dodging bullets is all I am good at anymore these days..:foot-in-mouth:sheesh.
Not true Ponch, I always listen to what you have to say because you say it like it is. Everyone is alloud opinions and learning from experience is always necessary. I was once told to always remain teachable so if you got something to say, please say it. Im always listening. Mac out......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts