Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a set of Harley hard bags on my classic, and I'm wondering if anyone has pictures of the mounts they have made if they have done the same? I searched and found one post where someone mounted a new fender and stretched bags on his bike but all the pictures say image missing. Any info would help

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
look at March bike of the month.. bald marine has done so

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
You can make your own, or you can get Harley hard bag conversion brackets made for the Softail. They bold right up to the 900 fender struts but the bottom support needs a little ingenuity on the exhaust side. I'm in the process of making my 900 a bagger. Here's a look at the bags mounted. Don't pay attention to the fender location...it's just placed there for now :)

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
You can make your own, or you can get Harley hard bag conversion brackets made for the Softail. They bold right up to the 900 fender struts but the bottom support needs a little ingenuity on the exhaust side. I'm in the process of making my 900 a bagger. Here's a look at the bags mounted. Don't pay attention to the fender location...it's just placed there for now :)

Coming together well!

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Yeah it is, although slower than I had anticipated. I'm having to order a bunch of materials online because I just can't get them locally, like some of the fiberglassing materials I need to widen the fender a bit to close the gaps between it and the bags. The fender is a cover for a different bike with a fender width smaller than the 900 so the "wings" on the bottom of the fender aren't wide enough. If I would have cut my fender struts and moved them in as Bald Marine did on his, it wouldn't be an issue, but I want everything to be able to go back to stock in case there is a massive "oh [email protected]!k" moment.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Mine are the softail mounts. I got em pretty cheap on amazon. Do a search for softail bagger conversion and they should pop up in the results.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Mine are the softail mounts. I got em pretty cheap on amazon. Do a search for softail bagger conversion and they should pop up in the results.
I know there's a company called Sumax that sells a product like the one you're describing. Is that it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help. For the price of the mounts, I think I will make mine. I already have the metal and plus I can say I fabricated it.

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Mex7.62 this is the link to my build... page 2 should have all the pics you need of the brackets I made. I used 3/8" cold rolled steel, did all of my bends with a MAP gas torch and a common bench vise... cut with an angle grinder, nothing high tech. As far as I know all of the pics are available, if you can't view them let me know and I'll post them straight to this thread. Cheers!

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29118&highlight=900+custom+bagger&page=2

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Great job so far! Do the bags fit with a stock exhaust?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I don't know if you were asking me or Bald Marine, but if you were asking me I am pretty sure they would work with stock exhaust. There is plenty of clearance with the big ass 4" pipe on mine, even though I think I'll be changing exhaust by the time it's all finished.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mex7.62 this is the link to my build... page 2 should have all the pics you need of the brackets I made. I used 3/8" cold rolled steel
Bald marine what is the reason you chose 3/8" steel rod? Measuring the rubber mounts that go under the bag I would think 1/2" rod would be a better size.
Also thanks so much for all the help.

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Mex7.62 either 3/8" or 1/2" will work fine, I just happened to have 3/8" rod laying around, and it's a little easier to bend... but with enough heat you can bend pretty much anything. I wrapped all of my support bars in foam pipe insulation so that the hard bags sit snuggly in place and have some cushion as well... plus it keeps everything quiet. Nothing more annoying than hitting a bump and it sounding like you're hauling a box full of marbles. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts