Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking at used Harley's for a long distance bike. (and to shut up the guys I ride with!) rode a '12 dyna , a 99 softail and a couple older dynas. I'm trying to figure out the hype. The only bike I was somewhat impressed with was the '12 dyna superglide. It had decent power, but with the mods on my bike I can easily keep up, with a 640cc smaller engine. Plus it's way more comfy. The older softail was a complete turd(80ci evo). I just don't get why Harley owners are always dogging the metrics, I'm way more impressed with my little 9 than any of the Harley's I've ridden as of yet. Oh well. Sorry bout the rant!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
HD marketing is 2nd to none. That's why I chuckle at my local dealer who's dedicated a larger square area to clothing sales than to displaying bikes. With one bike salesman yet 3 really cute girls selling clothes.

·
Registered
702 Posts
So I've been looking at used Harley's for a long distance bike. (and to shut up the guys I ride with!) rode a '12 dyna , a 99 softail and a couple older dynas. I'm trying to figure out the hype. The only bike I was somewhat impressed with was the '12 dyna superglide. It had decent power, but with the mods on my bike I can easily keep up, with a 640cc smaller engine. Plus it's way more comfy. The older softail was a complete turd(80ci evo). I just don't get why Harley owners are always dogging the metrics, I'm way more impressed with my little 9 than any of the Harley's I've ridden as of yet. Oh well. Sorry bout the rant!
Why do Harley owners dog the metrics?

It seems that many of the Harley riders bought into the image more than the bike itself. Then, when they see or ride a nice metric that costs at least half what they paid they realize they didn't get their money's worth...sour grapes?

My buddy bought a 2011 Street Glide around the same time I bought my 900 this year. He paid three times what I paid and his bike has been back to the shop several times for service. He wont admit it but I know he regrets it.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
HD marketing is 2nd to none. That's why I chuckle at my local dealer who's dedicated a larger square area to clothing sales than to displaying bikes. With one bike salesman yet 3 really cute girls selling clothes.
The metric dealers could learn a few thing from them.

I wish I could go to a shop/dealership and find a large selection of (non HD) boots, gloves, helmets, jackets etc.
There are a lot of little things like hair holders, key holders, boot straps and such that I would like to hold in my hand before I buy.
The one or two motorcycle gear shops in my area have about 85% cheap crud and about 14% expensive bullsnot.

About a mile from my house there is a HD dealer and a Honda/Kawasaki dealer side by side.
Every weekend the HD parking lot is full and the metric dealership has a few people from time to time.
I am glad the prices are low. But, I think having a little more floorspace dedicated to riding needs/comforts would draw more riders to the dealerships.

Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
The metric dealers could learn a few thing from them.

I wish I could go to a shop/dealership and find a large selection of (non HD) boots, gloves, helmets, jackets etc.
There are a lot of little things like hair holders, key holders, boot straps and such that I would like to hold in my hand before I buy.
The one or two motorcycle gear shops in my area have about 85% cheap crud and about 14% expensive bullsnot.

About a mile from my house there is a HD dealer and a Honda/Kawasaki dealer side by side.
Every weekend the HD parking lot is full and the metric dealership has a few people from time to time.
I am glad the prices are low. But, I think having a little more floorspace dedicated to riding needs/comforts would draw more riders to the dealerships.

Scott
Nail, meet Scott! Wow, I would so love to have a NON-HD bike shop that carried gear for cruising. We have a couple that cater to the off-road and crotch-rocket crowd, but even those are disorganized dives. Too bad I don't have the $$, I would use some of that empty floor space in my IT store!

·
Registered
76 Posts
From Scott: "About a mile from my house there is a HD dealer and a Honda/Kawasaki dealer side by side.
I am glad the prices are low. But, I think having a little more floorspace dedicated to riding needs/comforts would draw more riders to the dealerships."

I had to go to this very HD dealership in west Fort Worth just to by the plate for my inspection sticker when we first moved here. I was on my Honda Magna at the time. Even with the brand new Kawi/Honda store there, I still see a lot more action at the HD place.
In fact, the Kawi/Honda store was so lame I ended up buying my Vulcan up in Denton.
There really is something about the marketing HD has going for them.
However, here in Texas, Harley is The King. When I see a fellow metric rider I always complement them on their ability to actually think and judge. My bike was $9,000 with all the mods, taxes and even the service manual, instead of the Fat Boy Lo I was looking at for around $15,000. My bike's best feature:It's paid off in full.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
We had a Kawasaki/Suzuki Dealer in the next town (20 minutes away) that carried more Vulcan/Boulevard stuff and catered more to the cruisers. He still carried a lot of dirt and crotch rocket stuff but not as much. Well its closed now. It seems that a lot of people that do not buy HD don't put the money in to their bikes because people tell them that "it won't increase the value of your metric" and similar stuff. I did not buy my V2K to sale it one day. I bought it to ride it until it was done with me. If I sink a lot of money in it, it is for me to enjoy not to resale. Bikes are not houses, they are purchases not investments.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
My bike was $9,000 with all the mods, taxes and even the service manual, instead of the Fat Boy Lo I was looking at for around $15,000. My bike's best feature:It's paid off in full.
if you are going to compare then you could at least compare apples to apples......ie:compare the vn900 to a sportster 883......`or even the 1200 sportster......

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
if you are going to compare then you could at least compare apples to apples......ie:compare the vn900 to a sportster 883......`or even the 1200 sportster......
ok how about this. I got my brand new V2K Classic for 9K counting tax, tags, Also got a sissy bar thrown in on the deal. Is that a better comparison to the fat boy.

(Just fanning the flames)

Actually my V2K was new but it is an 08 4 year old Left over. That explains the price.

·
1,172 Posts
We had a Kawasaki/Suzuki Dealer in the next town (20 minutes away) that carried more Vulcan/Boulevard stuff and catered more to the cruisers. He still carried a lot of dirt and crotch rocket stuff but not as much. Well its closed now. It seems that a lot of people that do not buy HD don't put the money in to their bikes because people tell them that "it won't increase the value of your metric" and similar stuff. I did not buy my V2K to sale it one day. I bought it to ride it until it was done with me. If I sink a lot of money in it, it is for me to enjoy not to resale. Bikes are not houses, they are purchases not investments.
that place probably closed because of all those people who go to a local shop try on a thousand articles of clothing/gear....ask the sales person a million questions then goes home and buys the item on the internet for 5% less....

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
that place probably closed because of all those people who go to a local shop try on a thousand articles of clothing/gear....ask the sales person a million questions then goes home and buys the item on the internet for 5% less....
That is probably a very accurate statement. I bought stuff from him (it cost me) but he also saved me a lot of money in other places. For example y Mean Streak gas tank developed a 50cent piece sized bubble 14 months after I got the bike from him. He dealt with Kawasaki and got me a new tank. I got almost everything from him (except tires) and he started cutting me a discount comparable to what you saw from most online places. At that time I also had 2 motorcycles and 1 ATV.

·
1,172 Posts
That is probably a very accurate statement. I bought stuff from him (it cost me) but he also saved me a lot of money in other places. For example y Mean Streak gas tank developed a 50cent piece sized bubble 14 months after I got the bike from him. He dealt with Kawasaki and got me a new tank. I got almost everything from him (except tires) and he started cutting me a discount comparable to what you saw from most online places. At that time I also had 2 motorcycles and 1 ATV.
here is a good one for ya... dude walks into my local kawi dealer with a shoei helmet in hand and was having a problem with it ( one that may have benn a warranty issue) and was looking to get it looked at.... well service manager (a good friend of mine) asked his name so he could look up the sale...well dude didnt buy it from him....turns out it was purchased online and a second look revealed that it was a model that was not even available here in canada....but dude fully expected the local to handle the warranty on it and was quite pissed off that my buddy COULD NOT help him.....he could not comprehend it... all dude could think was " you sell this brand you HAVE to handle warranty"... to which my buddy replied "ya see thats why one pays a SMALL premium to buy local... when shit goes south then you have someone to bitch at in person.....good luck dealing with whoever you got it from .... and have a great day sir"

·
Registered
600 Posts
+1 dude. Personalize your ride and enjoy it while you own it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
So I've been looking at used Harley's for a long distance bike. (and to shut up the guys I ride with!) rode a '12 dyna , a 99 softail and a couple older dynas. I'm trying to figure out the hype.
Try something in their touring line 2009 and up since the frame redesign. If you're looking for long distance or just comfortable riding in general then a dyna is going to be a let down. Try a Road King, Electra, Street, etc.

·
1,172 Posts
+1 dude. Personalize your ride and enjoy it while you own it.
i agree... i did the things i have to my bike to make it mine.... not to increase resale value........not like the poor dude who was all pissed on here a while ago because he spent $5000 on his v2k (half of it in labor to install simple bolt ons ...lol a $10 light lens does not become worth $50 because ya payed someone $40 to install it) and fully expected his bikes resale value to be what he payed for the bike PLUS every dime of that $5000 ..... he was quite pissed when advised otherwise and seemed to think we were all idiots for not agreeing with him

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
here is a good one for ya... dude walks into my local kawi dealer with a shoei helmet in hand and was having a problem with it ( one that may have benn a warranty issue) and was looking to get it looked at.... well service manager (a good friend of mine) asked his name so he could look up the sale...well dude didnt buy it from him....turns out it was purchased online and a second look revealed that it was a model that was not even available here in canada....but dude fully expected the local to handle the warranty on it and was quite pissed off that my buddy COULD NOT help him.....he could not comprehend it... all dude could think was " you sell this brand you HAVE to handle warranty"... to which my buddy replied "ya see thats why one pays a SMALL premium to buy local... when shit goes south then you have someone to bitch at in person.....good luck dealing with whoever you got it from .... and have a great day sir"
Yeah some people don't get that when you buy something online you are paying for the "product" and very minimal overhead from warehouse employees. When you buy from you local dealer, you buy some service after the sale (or at least service you should receive). The dealer I was talking about did not have much of a service department. But you could still buy all the parts you ever needed from him. I have yet to find a dealer that would work with me like he did. He ran a good operation for sale and parts but he just never could take off. I believe he stayed open for 6 years and just struggled the whole time.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Try something in their touring line 2009 and up since the frame redesign. If you're looking for long distance or just comfortable riding in general then a dyna is going to be a let down. Try a Road King, Electra, Street, etc.
Yeah a Dyna is not made for long distance riding I have always felt they were barley a half step above a sportster. I personally don't like the way the touring HDs foot position but you can say that don't ride better than the rest of the HDs (or at least the HDs i have ridden)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
5% would not be worth the time.

I do weigh my options and pricing will always count when making a purchase. I expect to pay a little more for the brick and mortar benefits. But, that doesn't mean I will bend over and let them ...er...pick my pocket.

Recently I needed a new controller for my sprinkler system. Looked online to reduce shopping time and found a local retailer with an advertised price of $80.
I stopped by his store and inquired about the part; he quoted me $200!!!

150% difference is not paying for his floorspace; it is ripping off customers that don't shop around.

Scott

1 - 20 of 105 Posts