Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 9, at 4,000 plus miles, I recently noticed a difficulty in shifting to 1st gear at stops, and sometimes when in 1st gear, it disengages before I can even release the clutch. Wondering if this can be fixed by owner.

I've checked the 10mm nuts at the linkage and they are quite tight. Although the inner nut seems to loosen easy; is this a lock nut? How should it be adjusted, if it needs to be? Or should I adjust the clutch lever play?

Thx for reading.:cyclops:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
On my 9, at 4,000 plus miles, I recently noticed a difficulty in shifting to 1st gear at stops, and sometimes when in 1st gear, it disengages before I can even release the clutch. Wondering if this can be fixed by owner.

I've checked the 10mm nuts at the linkage and they are quite tight. Although the inner nut seems to loosen easy; is this a lock nut? How should it be adjusted, if it needs to be? Or should I adjust the clutch lever play?

Thx for reading.:cyclops:
Do two things. Is your 900 a classic with a heal-toe shifter? Remove the pivot bolt that the shifter swivels on and clean the bore and bolt thoroughly. Lube with marine grease or a good quality all purpose grease. Shoot some lube (not WD40) in the heim joints that are on the shift rod. Second, shift into 1st gear while you are still rolling from now on.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Second, shift into 1st gear while you are still rolling from now on.
Agree. Always shifts better while rolling to a stop. Once stopped I have found it can be a bit hard to shift into first. Sometimes I have had to start to let the clutch out for it to drop into first.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The positive neutral on the 9's can be frustrating at times but I have never experienced issues getting into first. One thing I did notice it that if you let out the clutch while in neutral, and then pull it back it usually drops right in. I have even "missed" second a few times because of the positive neutral.

I have a lot of stop-and-go traffic so this is a common practice when I stop to let it hit neutral while waiting. also helps to relieve grip and cramping :)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
The positive neutral on the 9's can be frustrating at times but I have never experienced issues getting into first. One thing I did notice it that if you let out the clutch while in neutral, and then pull it back it usually drops right in. I have even "missed" second a few times because of the positive neutral.

I have a lot of stop-and-go traffic so this is a common practice when I stop to let it hit neutral while waiting. also helps to relieve grip and cramping :)
I like leaving mine in neutral while waiting at a long light too but have a slightly different procedure. I will drop it into 1st rolling into the stop then up to neutral when I'm stopped. I find it very easy to then drop it into 1st again when I'm ready to go.

·
Registered
357 Posts
^
ya that's what I meant. I'm usually slow enough to drop into first cause from 2nd to neutral is somewhat tricky when my big foot just wants to press down :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
One thing not yet mentioned, make sure your clutch free play isn't too great so the clutch is disengaging completely when pulled in, even a small amount of drag beyond what the oil in the clutch provides can make shifting quite a bit harder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used to have problems getting into first sometimes as well, and when shifting to 2nd sometimes it would pop into neutral. Not sure if the oil I was using had anything to do with it but the problem was a lot worse when I was using non-synthetic oil. When I switched to synthetic the problem pretty much went away.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I love the shifting on this bike. Don't care much for the clutch but I go ahead and downshift thru all gears to #1 while rolling and then into neutral at a red light.

I get just a little #2 slippage back to neutral right after each T6 oil change but overall, no problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good tip ! on the clutch play adjustment, @bigblockyeti, likewise thanks to other replies. All were helpful.

I like to rest my grip at stop lights, such that I get it to Neutral on a rolling stop.
A significant amount of shifting is the "engaging to 1st gear", so this ease of shifting would be quite important, considering the cages behind you always jumping the gun when the green light goes on.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I used to have problems getting into first sometimes as well, and when shifting to 2nd sometimes it would pop into neutral. Not sure if the oil I was using had anything to do with it but the problem was a lot worse when I was using non-synthetic oil. When I switched to synthetic the problem pretty much went away.
I agree....when was your last oil change? Mine shifts much smoother after an oil change and thats what I use as a sign that the oil is getting old. I run Amsoil and it is some smooth slippery stuff.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just had oil changed but still shifts w difficulty. Hunting for neutral also an issue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
hi sojourner: I hadn't cleaned the pivot bolt because the linkages looked clean, but there's a play [w/c may be normal] I noticed. I decided for the moment not to touch it [can't find way to remove it, too] and look at the clutch lever if it needs some adjustment. thx
:)

Not a biggie, but this shifting is just a bit annoying/distracting. oh well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Love my bike, hate my trans.

My 2010 900lt has always had issue's with BOTH the downshift into first, and the upshift to second, is intermittent, can do it right after an oil change, hot or cold, the dealer can't find anything wrong with it. The really annoying part, is that sometimes it shifts smooth as glass, and other times you have to really pound the lever to get the gear you desire. This transmission, between the lousy gearing, and finnicky shifter, is the weak link on a bike that I really love

1 - 16 of 16 Posts