Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went from a 2014 900 to a 2018 Voyager and I love it but I cannot seem to find neutral with any regularity. Neutral was much easier to find on the 900 for some reason. Am I alone or is this just the way the Voyagers are?

·
Registered
50 Posts
It should be pretty easy to find neutral. Kawasaki has a "positive neutral finder". According to my Owner's Manual "The transmission is equipped with a positive neutral finder. When the motorcycle is standing still, the transmission cannot be shifted past neutral from 1st gear. ..." It isn't quite that good on my bike but it's close. Occasionally I will end up in 2nd and have to try again. If it is giving you trouble all the time, I would guess that something is out of adjustment.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Ignoring the PNF as it's on both bikes, I will say that shifting from 2nd to N while rolling was much easier on the 900. But technically you shouldn't need to do that. You should be in 1st when you stop so for me it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
381 Posts
For some odd reason I find that using the heel shifter to find neutral works more often. But if you REALLY want to play hide and seek with neutral try finding it on a new Harley =0.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Pos. Neutral is a Kawasaki thing! Come to a stop, shift to first, up 1 to neutral - easy to slip in. Should always work. Six Kawasaki's, over several years - all of them had it. Had other brands, some of them, I wished had it! For some reason, I found Harleys gave up neutral easier with forward controls - maybe just me!

·
Registered
465 Posts
OK, so I have a 79 KZ650SR, a 2005 VN800B, and a 2016 Vaquero... here's what I've noticed:

PNF works on all three bikes, but is easier to hit in general as well as coming down from 2nd in the 800, and even easier on the KZ. The 1700 doesn't like to find neutral easily until the engine is warmed up, and definitely wants to be at a full stop before doing so.

And yes, much easier to find Neutral on a Kawi than a Harley.

-John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry you do not have to be stopped to get to neutral.
I can down shift while stopping and slide into neutral all the time.

You seem to be the only one who is able to do that. If I am moving at all, it will bypass neutral. Sure... I might get lucky but not normally.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a Vulcan 1500 so slightly different bike but it also has the positive neutral finder feature and I can get it into neutral while rolling to a stop every time.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Sorry you do not have to be stopped to get to neutral.
I can down shift while stopping and slide into neutral all the time.

You seem to be the only one who is able to do that. If I am moving at all, it will bypass neutral. Sure... I might get lucky but not normally.
I can do it but it takes a light touch and too much concentration on my Vaquero. On my 900 I didn't even have to think about it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
AS stated -
PNF is so at a stop you can up shift from first and go into neutral.

All I'm saying is as I'm stopping and somewhere around 10 mph as I downshifting, I can stop at neutral all the time.

If that makes my engine unique I'm all for it!

How about all you other 500 riders out there, can you do the same?

·
Registered
21 Posts
AS stated -
PNF is so at a stop you can up shift from first and go into neutral.

All I'm saying is as I'm stopping and somewhere around 10 mph as I downshifting, I can stop at neutral all the time.

If that makes my engine unique I'm all for it!

How about all you other 500 riders out there, can you do the same?

My apologies..... I didn't realize you have the 500. I thought the conversation was about the Voyager. The Voyager and Vaquero share the same motor and tranny. I can understand each bike being different. On the Voyager/Vaquero, you have to be at a complete stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went from a 2014 900 to a 2018 Voyager and I love it but I cannot seem to find neutral with any regularity. Neutral was much easier to find on the 900 for some reason. Am I alone or is this just the way the Voyagers are?
Try shutting engine off in 1st gear with the ignition in the ON position. Then try shifting to Neutral without using the clutch, it works every time for me. I have a Vulcan 1700 Classic LT. Maybe its different on the Voyagers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts