Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At low speed steering feels unstable, wobbly, loose!

Could this be time to service front shocks or replace steering bearings?

Or is this normal due to wide front stock tyres?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a similar feeling on mine, was the steering head bearing. Bearing race was scored/worn/dented all around. Sitting at a stop if i turned the steering side to side it felt like there was a notch or detent causing it to hang up at center. Possibly from a heavy pothole hit? New bearing/race set cured the issue.

·
Registered
201 Posts
All of the above mentioned checks, plus wheel bearings and spokes. You should not feel any wobble at low speeds ( unless you're on a rain-grooved road, a metal decked bridge, or a tar-snake). High speeds may be hiding the wobble, but this could be very dangerous to ignore!

·
Registered
57 Posts
The first time that I rode my 07 Nomad, it handled very badly. Loose, wobbly feeling especially when going around corners a low speeds. Took it home and checked the tire pressure to find both tires at less than 20 psi. I filled them to the specs in the owners manual, and all of those problems went away. It now handles as I expected it to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Head bearing issues can best be felt with bike on lift and wheel removed. This really lets you feel if there are any problems with the bearings as you turn the bars side/side without the additional weight of wheel assembly to dampen the feel.

That said my wife complained once that her Honda Shadow "wibbled" at low speed. Turned out to be tire wear, a new one cured it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts