Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this question has been asked before but I wanted to see if others are experiencing this issue with vaquero.
i have a 2014 with about 700 km on it, and when I shift from 1st to 2nd, it makes a pretty hard clunk. 2nd to 3rd and other gears is ok but quite noticeable going from 1st to 2nd.

is this normal? just getting used the bike and don't know what sounds are expected :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
sorry if this question has been asked before but I wanted to see if others are experiencing this issue with vaquero.
i have a 2014 with about 700 km on it, and when I shift from 1st to 2nd, it makes a pretty hard clunk. 2nd to 3rd and other gears is ok but quite noticeable going from 1st to 2nd.

is this normal? just getting used the bike and don't know what sounds are expected :)
It's completely normal. It's not just a Kawasaki thing as all the big bore bikes seem to have it to some degree or another.I've ridden lots of bikes during their demo days and they all have their quirks. Try pre-loading the shift leaver a bit with your heel before shift.....just a moderate firm pressure on it, then when you pull the clutch in it may pop in more smoothly. Some people say it works better. I also find that it shifts into 2nd a lot smoother if you short shift a bit at a lower rpm.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The first to second shift clunk probably has to do with shifting through/past neutral while changing from first to second, and it also may have to do with Kawasaki's touted positive neutral finding feature. Having owned several bikes it generally appears to be normal. As suggested above one can learn to eliminate at least some of the clunk through experimentation with shifting technique.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Yupper ,normal my 10 nomad clunks 1 to 2,Guess its very common on the 1700.Changed oil and motor is very quiet but still clunks,No worries

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
Go to a good synthetic motorcycle racing oil next change.
If you haven't already.
Difference is immediate and night and day ...
The Valvoline 4T 10w 40 actually gets better after 50 miles or so.

Mobil One 4T motorcycle oil is great too ...

Your tranny will shift like butter!!!

Luckymann77

·
Registered
580 Posts
Some people may have some perceived difference in shifting when switching from dyno oil to synthetic. I have tried both in my 1700 and have not really noticed any difference, but who knows. One thing I have noticed is a decrease in tranny gear noise when switching to 20W-50 tho :). Regardless don't sweat it too much as these bikes all have their quirks which are normal.....just ride and enjoy

·
Registered
214 Posts
20W-50 is the way to go !
Doesnt matter if synth or dino oil - it is the specification which have to meet !

Cu,
Sven

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Welcome to the shift clunking club.. I didn't name her Betty Clunker for nothing....

Gets a tad better the more miles you put on it, fancy oil helps some, not others. driving style is also a factor. I can shift 3-6 with no clunk, but not first to second.

I use full synth 20/50 it still does it and I expect to to all it's life.... square cut gears do that....

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think I'd rather have our little 1-2 clunk than that sound the HD makes when you drop it into first once the bike's warmed up. You know... the one that makes you swing your head around to check if the gearbox just dropped out on the ground?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I think I'd rather have our little 1-2 clunk than that sound the HD makes when you drop it into first once the bike's warmed up.
Been around about a dozen Voyagers and they all do that like mine does. Clunks when putting in first gear from neutral. Just not quite as loud as all those HD's I rode.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
If the clunk has anything to do with finding neutral, I'll gladly live with it! Finding neutral on some bikes is a true test of patience.

I test rode a Victory. Same clunk. It's not uncommon on the big V-twins, I don't think.

I think I'd rather have our little 1-2 clunk than that sound the HD makes when you drop it into first once the bike's warmed up. You know... the one that makes you swing your head around to check if the gearbox just dropped out on the ground?
Yeah, that too. LOL!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Been around about a dozen Voyagers and they all do that like mine does. Clunks when putting in first gear from neutral. Just not quite as loud as all those HD's I rode.
There's a trick for that... Start and then warm the bike in neutral, with the clutch pulled in. After only about 30 seconds or so, the gearbox will let you snick into first gear without making any sound at all. I often have to check the gear indicator to see I'm there. The Nomad was the same. Warm it up with the clutch out though, and she sure lets you know when you're looking for first gear.

I rode 2 months in the USA last year with a 25 strong group of other bikes, primarily HD's. There was a helluva racket when the HD's all found first before we pulled out each morning... and a much more muted clunk from the Voyager as we got out into the roadway and I went for second. It became something of a standing joke.

And yes, SabreT... the clunk 1-2 is a direct result of the positive neutral finder. I'm with you, and will put up with the clunk any old day if the flip-side is an easy to find neutral.

It has it's moments though... If I take the Voyager to work, I have a security gate to swipe my ID through to get in or out (I'm a LEO like Bubba used to be, and a BK like he still is). On the way out, when the bike's cold, that neutral is a real bugger to find. Like a hark back to the 70's... Remember? Up (clank) down (clunk) up (clank) down (clunk)over & over... just a brief flash of the neutral light as it passes right on by. I can't reach the swipy thing without getting off the bike, and the gate's auto-open thingy won't work on any vehicle smaller than a car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks

Found this forum trying to find out why my 2006 Vulcan 1500 clunks into 2nd. Just bought the bike used today and haven't ever ridden anything bigger than my Vulcan 500 (awesome bike). Was worried that there was something wrong with the bike even though it only has 9000 miles on it. BTW this 1500 is a beast! Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I bought my 1700 a few years ago I expressed the same concern as the clunk was significantly stronger than any other bike I've owned. I was reassured by my mechanic. No biggie. I appreciate the other comments/recommendations though, especially the one about warming it up with the clutch engaged. I'll check it out.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
@Tom Harrington

Welcome to the forums!

Please fill in your profile to include your bike/location info and that
is easier using a PC vs the app. This will help others answer questions you may ask knowing what year and model bike you have.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I read the poster who said switching to 20-50 synthetic oil would quiet shifting. Didn't make any difference on my 16 voyager at all. Other than costing more than conventional. Next change going back to regular. With so many posters saying same must be normal sounding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts