Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on my new Hard Krome 3" Big Straights last night and although I am somewhat pleased with the sound, I was reading the literature that came with the pipes and it said you MUST add a fuel processor when you install these pipes. From what I have read on our forum, everyone says you don't need to do that as long as you are just doing exhaust. What gives?:confused:

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
I've been running the 3" Hard Krome exhausts with K&N filter in stock intake for a couple of years. No fuel processor. Seems like it lost a few hp when I changed out the pipes but it runs fine- and sounds GREAT!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I put on my new Hard Krome 3" Big Straights last night and although I am somewhat pleased with the sound, I was reading the literature that came with the pipes and it said you MUST add a fuel processor when you install these pipes. From what I have read on our forum, everyone says you don't need to do that as long as you are just doing exhaust. What gives?:confused:
59, theory is that when you open up your motor to breath easier that it breathes MORE.. that is often subjective. Some state that if you open the Air Box and the Exhaust the motor (air pump) will breath MORE air. If your ECU doesn't ADD more fuel with this increase in Air, then your Air/Fuel ratio goes high(er) and you risk running your motor lean(er) which can be detrimental to it.

others say that if you do just One or the Other, Air filter vs Exhaust that its NOT necessary to ENHANCE your ECU signals to Richen up the mix and lower yor A/F ratio.

Much like Oil and Tires and other subjective topics, this runs the gamut of those one either side of these arguments. If you have access to tools like exhaust analyzers, engine diagnostic computers, etc. then you have some legitimate claim to statements. otherwise its mostly just folks spouting off about how much more HP they must be FEELing because after all they are getting worse mileage and burning more fuel and they are significantly lighter in the wallet.. so it must be More Good(er).. its called skin in their argument as they are financialy and emotionaly vested.

on the otter hand, do otters have hands? the stock ECU does its job by measuring a multitude of engine parameters and adjust the fuel injector timings according to how the engine is behaving. Stock settings are considered lean because EPA requires.. is part of a larger conspiracy to choke/kill America and makes us burn All our fuel more thoroughly.. something like that. Digressing, the stock ECU will adjust fuel mix slightly as conditions change, nothing radical. (yeah rite).

Butt, if you do due diligence and monitor your spark plugs for indication of combustion conditions, you can pretty much read what the hell is going on inside them big guns. The front spark plug is ez to extract, so use that one for most your quarterly examinations. The rear can be looked at maybe once a year.. if that. Provided your seeing a nice Tan/Brown color on the front plug.
If you see Dark Brown/Black, its not likely, butt is indication you are running too rich and burning excessive fuel and/or oil?
If you ever see your Plugs in a state of White, its time to intervene. that is a too LEAN and Hot condition. Then its time to restrict the Air/Exhaust flow or pony up for one of those Fuel Adder thingies..

btw, I ran my v2k 50k miles w/o FA and with K&N custom air kit and straight thru cherry bomb mufflers.. finaly this year I ponied up for.. new plugs. here are the perfectly good plugs I wasted $15 replacing. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well put Ponch. Easy to understand philosophy that makes since. These pipes sound ok with the baffles in, but before I yank those baffles I wanted some opinions. They kind of sound like a huge duck with a hollow asshole farting under water with the baffles in. Tomorrow after work the baffles come out. We will see what the beast sounds like after that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 09 with same pipes and nothing else and runs just fine, a little pop now and then but lots of that is wrist control.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have these pipes, along with a thunder mfg air cleaner. The previous owner installed them, so I could not tell you if I saw an improvement in performance. A lot of lit on the net suggests that this specific exhaust actually reduces horsepower and torque, but like I said, I couldn't tell ya. My bike still runs fine and will smoke most people I know, aside from my brother's 1k ninja.

·
Registered
36 Posts
From another post of mine:

In case any of you guys have Hard Krome 3" Big Straights and are looking for quieter baffles than the Spiral or Straight baffles, I contacted Hard Krome/DG and had them make me the quietest baffles they can that still flow decently, for the same price as the other baffles directly from them. These baffles are not listed on their website, or available to purchase through any retailer. They are not as restrictive as they look. It's mostly an illusion. That said, on a loudness scale I'd say they are louder than stock Harley exhausts, but much quieter than the HK 3 BS with no baffles. That's all I have to compare it to. Very pleased.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I have read this a lot also...
This motor makes so much tork that even when you lose a little nobody can tell or even misses it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts