Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the Hard Krome 3 inch Big Straights. The PO put them on, and I had some problems with the gaskets. They didn't seal very well. So I was getting alot of pops. And I could actually feel air pushing out of them. So I had to replace them, I was wondering if anybody else has put these on their bikes. And how you were able to get at the one nut on the rear pipe? The one that is towards the front. I was able to get if off okay, cuz it was so loose. But getting it tightened up is a bugger, and I don't want to have to worry about another gasket not sealing up. Was there a trick to it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
On my Roadburners I had to use a 1/4" drive socket and a wobbler extension. I had to insert the socket from the inside bottom, at an angle toward the top front, and then put the socket on the extension. From the pictures that I have seen. These exhausts appear to be built the same. You may want to give that a try....

HTH
Max

·
Registered
533 Posts
Is there anyway you can loosen up the heat shield and move it far enough to get at the nut? If I want to check the torque on my pipes I have to loosen the clamps on the heat shields and even then they're tough to get at.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the Roadburners are pretty much the same as the Hard Krome I think they are both made by DG. Jimbo the heat shields aren't removable. They are welded to the inner pipe. The stock pipes are that way, but not these. That would be alot easier.

I don't have a swivel, I tried a 1/4 drive but it wouldn't work. What is a wobbler? Is that the same as a swivel?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Take a look at the extension in this link: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944283000P?keyword=wobblers The end of the extension has a bit of a diamond shape that will allow you to come off the socket at an angle. Can you even get a socket in there from the back side? When I put mine on, I couldn't get the socket out after tightening the nut. I had to bend the heat shield about a 1/16" down and forward at the forward most rounded edge to get the socket out! I used a long 3/8" drive extension to bend the shield, and it worked fairly well and you can't tell that it's bent.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I picked up a wobbler at Napa. They only had 1/4 drive. Which was what I needed. But I had to get a pair, 3 inch and 6 inch. But that was okay cuz the 3 inch turned out to be too short. The trip to Napa turned out to be a good thing cuz they had a GearWrench 10 pc metric set for 29.99

Now I just have to ride her and let her cool down and retorque everything, hopefully this fixed it. I decided to put a small bead of RTV silcone on both sides of the gaskets, that will hopefully help seal things up. Now I just hope that the side I was having problems with didn't set up too much and create a gap. I pretty much had things all the way tightened down, so prob won't be an issue.

Maybe this will help me gas mileage. I have never gone above 40mpg in the 1000 miles I have had it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well went and rode 90 some miles non-stop. No leaks. No more major pops anymore either. Gave the nuts a little retorque when I got home, but the engine was still hot.

Now here is another question. When I had the pipes off, I wanted to see how it sounded. I didn't drive it. Just started it and idled and gave it a few light revs. Was that really dumb and potentially damaging? Could the lack of proper back pressure or something screw things up? Like maybe tweek an exhaust valve?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts