Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking a set of pipes may be in my future. I can't find any slip on mufflers anywhere. Does anyone make them? I looked at Hard Krome and Cobra and they are about the same price. Do any of you guys have a preference between the two? Just looking for opinions. What do you like?

·
Registered
578 Posts
My bike came with the Road Burner 3" (same as Hard Krome), I like them, not too loud at idle but really wake up under load. I don't have any experience with other brands on our bikes.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
I had cobra shorties on the bike for..hmmm... 7 years or so.

They were very nice. Quite on idle, banging under load.

In 2012, when I put the bike to the "knife", I switched to Sharp Curves by freedom performance.

they are without a doubt, the best looking pipes on our bike. Engine Performance is equal to the Cobra's, but these sound SO much better (I have the no baffle version)

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I have the Freedoms as well. Love them. Mine have the standard baffles in them and are plenty loud. There's a guy here at work with them on his Victory, with quiet baffles. They sound sort of sad and outboard-motory on that bike with the quiet baffles.
You had V&H Powershots for a while, yeah?

How do these compare for tone and volume @ low speed and high speed?

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
I have the Freedoms as well. Love them. Mine have the standard baffles in them and are plenty loud. There's a guy here at work with them on his Victory, with quiet baffles. They sound sort of sad and outboard-motory on that bike with the quiet baffles.
You know, that's right. I worded it wrong in my post.

They come with two versions of the baffles. Standard and quiet.

I said I have the none baffled ones. I have the standard ones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I will be ordering the Hard Krome 3" Big straights next week. $449.99 on Amazon with free shipping.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the 3" big straights. At idle they sound a bit muddy. Like water pulsing out a pipe, and they're not very loud. But once you roll the throttle,...man, if sounds like a 60's muscle car and if gets really loud

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is without baffles sir.
Like I said, they are reasonable at idle, but once you pull, neighbors' ll be pissed....I know mine are. Haha

·
Registered
53 Posts
At speed, it's not that bad...but maybe I've just grown accustomed to it. In other words, I can hear it, it sounds nice, but once on the road, the cars, the wind noise, and the trains kinda blend it all together. I wear plugs anyway, since i play in a band, and I figured I'd be deaf by 30

·
Registered
53 Posts
VN 2000 Hard Krome 3 Inch Big Straights: http://youtu.be/MislEuGDp1Q

This here's a fairly accurate clip of them pipes at work. Of course, the camera does it no justice, but it's a good idea of what to expect. Youtube 'em. I've seen plenty other videos of 2ks with those pipes on.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
once on the road, the cars, the wind noise, and the trains kinda blend it all together. I wear plugs anyway, and I figured I'd be deaf by 30
Useta think I'd be dead by thirty.. That was thirty yrs ago.. Butt pix later, after plenty pipes n slip ons.. Ran the stok headers with cherry bombs. Stripped the tins and wrapped with asbestos tape.. Look n sound for under hunerd bux. poncho

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Ummm....what?!? Do you happen to have a sound clip of these home made makeshift pipes?
butt watt? they'r on yootoob. somewheres? forgot how my helper posted it. will work on it and post it then..

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Did you read the quote I pulled for your text? That's what the "what" was about. I'd appreciate hearing the pipes. I can search if you know what I should be looking for.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts