Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am recently acquired A LOT of tools. My wife's grandfather (used to run a wrecker service/junkyard, and do a little body work on the side) decided he wanted me to have all of his tools. He was not a very organized person so they were scatter all over his shop and not in any boxes. I spent a few hours last week gathering up my first trip through his shop. I soon found myself with plastic totes full of nothing but tools and no where to put them. Since then I have go them kind of sorted. I found out I don't have anywhere to put these things. I have a spot in my little out building for a box.

I was looking online at Harbor Freight's web site and found this one (http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/tool-storage/11-drawer-roller-cabinet-67421.html) which I have a $149 coupon for and this one (http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/tool-storage/roller-cabinet-26-8-drawer-with-8-drawer-top-chest-67831.html) that I have a $319 coupon for. I plan on using it more for tool storage then working out of it since I already have my own set up I work out of. Do any of you all have any experience with either of these boxes?

·
Registered
454 Posts
My main concern would be making sure those tools are "secure". Portable tool cabinets are great for working, but a target for thieves. They will steal the whole cabinet and its contents if they can. Another option is to construct wall cabinets in your shed from wood (1" or so), make a good locking system that is difficult to breach. My $0.02!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My main concern would be making sure those tools are "secure".
+1 on that, had all my air tools stolen when I was working on 18 wheelers, was never able to replace them, if the box is steel and has some good rails for the drawers go for it if the price is right, the rails are the main thing to look at

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice. I went and picked up a cheaper box and Lowes instead. Harbor freight is just too far of a drive unless I am over there already. Its a good 2 hours trip or so and a lot of gas in the pick up to get there.

The drawers is what everyone told me to look at. The box is going to be stationary so if the sheet metal is a little flimsy that is fine because once I get it in place it will stay there.

Security is not much of an issue for me. No one messes with other peoples stuff a lot here. I figure if some one wants it bad enough then after they get through the locked door on the out building they can just wheel it in to the bed of the truck and worry about the lock on the box later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts