Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a heck of a year and for the most part I’m glad to see it fading into the rearview mirror. The fun began late January when my wife was diagnosed with cancer. I started looking for a second car so I could leave her with one for all of the chemo and treatments but was stunned when I saw the ridiculous mark ups on new and used. While making this observation with some coworkers one of my team made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. It turns out he had a 2004 1600 classic with 9k miles on it in his garage. This very generous man wait it hadn’t been started in 13 years as his hip replacement had rendered him physically unable to even mount the bike. He said he knew it would be some work and some $$ to get it up and going again but that I could have it if I came and got it. So I did.
Long story short, after about 6 weeks of nights and weekends along with my best friend and son and I had a perfect running 1600 classic.

when I got it running inApril of this year it had 9400 miles on it. Last week I turned 21000. My commute is 102 miles round trip. I invested in some good KLIM gear including the heated gloves and ride most days rain or shine , hot or cold. Frankly I’ve needed the zen the daily ride has afforded me. This motorcycle has been a great blessing and I am truly grateful for it.

I am going to do the clutch this weekend as the spring seems to be failing. I ordered the mean streak spring as word on the street was that it’s a bit more robust. Everything else is Kawasaki classic factory parts.

my next foray will be to find bags and a trunk to make it easier to carry things back and forth as well as a place to stow all of my wet and cold weather gear.

my wife has borne the treatment well and has realized great results! Her final chemo was last week. She has a couple of pretty major surgeries between now and march and according to the last scan radiation should not not be necessary.

I would love suggestions for bags and possibly a faring. As I can weld I’m no afraid to make my own brackets and and mountings so if I need to adapt something that was not necessarily meant for my exact model that is very doable. As this is my primary transportation for the foreseeable future I may do heated grips as well. I’m not interested in a sound system as I have a cardo black making that unnecessary.

looking forward to hanging out and learning.

·
Super Moderator
6,198 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us. My prayers for your Mrs. Congratulations on your new bike. Always a great feeling to bring a bike back from sitting so long. Post us a picture when you get a chance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts