Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't drink and drive or smoke anything other than a cigarette.
Just getting that out of the way. Lol!
I'm having issues with my 95 800a. Maybe it's just me, but it seems odd that I can't seem to keep it going straight down the road. The bike has had two pre owners, and been down once for sure. First time on a 800? Hmm.
Has new wheel bearings fork bearings, tires, breaks, chain n sprockets. All bad. It has 25k on the speedo, and runs sweet.
In opinions here. What could be causing my bike to drive like a snake?
Thanks al

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Tweaked frame?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh god no!
Any good way to check that?
I was really hoping I would here something like " bent or tweeted fork tube(s). Frame!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Part it out. Can't sell it. If that's the case.:cry:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Oh god no!
Any good way to check that?
I was really hoping I would here something like " bent or tweeted fork tube(s). Frame!
The forks could be trashed as well. After a motorcycle accident, it's very important to have the bike checked out by a mechanic. Yes, it does cost a lot, but that's why we have insurance.

When I had my accident a couple of years ago, they completely replaced the frame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The forks could be trashed as well. After a motorcycle accident, it's very important to have the bike checked out by a mechanic. Yes, it does cost a lot, but that's why we have insurance.

When I had my accident a couple of years ago, they completely replaced the frame.
Thanks HRH,
I'll get it checked at a dealer, don't know if I really can trust them to much since they have the new ones sitting there. At same time will be looking for another.
Kinda sounds like a winter project in the works.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Bent wheel maybe? Was going to say loose spokes will cause this, but think you have cast wheels on the A model.

·
Registered
220 Posts
One thing you might try: On a level concrete floor, jack the bike up and make sure the frame is level horizontally. Remove the front wheel and put a straight dowel or pipe through the axel holes and see if the axel is level with the frame. Use a spirit level. If it's not, you need to check length of front fork springs and maybe replace them. With the dowel or pipe in the axel holes, center it exactly and measure each end to a point on the frame on each side to ensure front forks are not cocked to one side and the handlebars are centered. Ratchet straps to handlebars to center everything. What you are doing is checking the steering geometry. While it's jacked up, check front wheel run-out to make sure wheel is straight.

Prior to going through all of this, you might want to play with you tire pressures. 2 psi make an awful big difference in handling. Increase or decrease in pressure might solve your problem. Bob

·
Registered
578 Posts
Head set bearings too tight?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Rick and Bob.
It does in fact have spoked wheels and the spokes seem fine. I'll check the runout, and mess with the pressure a bit. I'm in no way afraid to ride it, just isn't that bad.
Honestly my thoughts are the fork is messed up somehow. Handle bars are not square to the world or triple tree. Also what I have noticed is brand new tire looks like it is running on the right side. Make sence? Wheel is tipped right on the top.
As HR was saying about the frame being tweaked. I sure hope not! Really was not what I call an accident. Layed down at low speed cause she was afraid to turn the thing. Lol! Did bend the right crash bars tho. Only real sign of it was scrapes on the exhaust.
When I got this bike I had to replace all of the bearings in the front cause they were worn and the seals had failed making a rusty mess of the whole works. It sat outside two winters for sure and maintained poorly.
If the air pressure doesn't seem to help,I'll bring it into Bad Boy Customs and have it checked out.
Thanks all for your valuable input.
Al

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's difficult to tell if a wheel is out of true by looking at it. Find a reputable shop and take it there. They'll check to make sure the forks and frame are okay, and that the wheel is true.

Since it's been down, it probably really needs checked out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I'm feeling a little stupid. Front tire was at recommended 28# but back was 22#. Aired them up and rode it to bad boys. What a difference! Rick there recommended I run 40# in both, even better. He also said if there still seems to be issues to bring it in and they will check it all.
I feel I have been given the right info from you guys and bad boys since no one is trying to sell me a new ride.
Thanks a lot!
Al.
Check out Badboyscustom.com in Cokato Minnesota. Some fine work coming from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts