Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 1600 nomad with a fairing. I've been looking for handlebars without much luck. Anything with less reach for me won't work. The one set that was close was khrome werks 300517. I'm trying to find some about 10" to 11" rise and less pull back. Any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ordered the khrome werks 300517a because it was as close as I could find. I think they are going to work .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With a fairing I didn't have any room for risers. I took my bike out yesterday to see how the new bars felt. I like them much more than stock bars. More comfortable and it's more responsive.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Today I got the first "sit" on a VN1600 I am buying from a salvage dealer in Minnesota. The stock handlebar shape is not what I prefer so I may change it to the handlebar from a Mean Streak as an option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some like the stock bars but they are not comfortable to me. Since I put the taller bars on it's like a new bike, handles much easier and comfortable. I'm 5'11" , the 300517a are a good fit for me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Too high above the mount for my tastes, but the grip position/angle looks much better than the typical Vulcan handlebar. I'm very used to the handlebar position of my BMWs relative to the height of the seat, which positions my hands slightly above elbow height when sitting on the bike. I'll use risers and a drag bar style handlebar to get the grips where it feels similar on my Vulcan.

I do a lot of cycle training classes both on range bikes and on my own bikes. One thing a lot of riders want is more confidence in riding their bike at slow speeds in tight maneuvers. I can tell already the stock Vulcan handlebar is not suited to good control in tight full lock turns. A police style handlebar, or a flatter drag bar style is far better suited to those maneuvers.

Since July of 2018 I've gotten about 800 miles on my 03 Classic. It is a comfortable bike for just cruising along, but for tight maneuvers and better control I'd much prefer a "flatter" handlebar. My Classic has 4" risers on it already, so I'd like to find a mini-ape style bar with a lot less sweep-back. But nearly all the bars I find are 7" to 9" sweep-back and more. I just don't like that unnatural hand position of those style bars that force my wrists to turn out. So I may buy a used mini-ape and just "flatten" it in a press to reduce the sweep-back. The old ZG1200 Voyager had cool adjustable handlebars but they're 7/8" diameter.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Latest on my handlebar search: I did buy a set of adjustable handlebars from a salvage Kawasaki ZG1200. The sweep or pullback of each side is adjustable through a large arc. The mount to the risers is 1" diameter so I combined that with a set of 6" risers. But, each handlebar end is only 7/8" diameter. So to get up to 1" I just added a 12" length of 1" stainless steel tubing, .065" wall thickness. I'll slide the 1" tubing over the 7/8" handlebar ends, and use JB Weld epoxy on the inside of the tube to bond it to the 7/8" handlebar.

Now I have fully adjustable handlebars; I have the handlebar closer to me with the 6" risers, I can change the angle back to me in the risers clamps, and I can adjust the sweep/pullback from dragbar straight across to at least a 7" swept pullback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Latest on my handlebar search: I did buy a set of adjustable handlebars from a salvage Kawasaki ZG1200. The sweep or pullback of each side is adjustable through a large arc. The mount to the risers is 1" diameter so I combined that with a set of 6" risers. But, each handlebar end is only 7/8" diameter. So to get up to 1" I just added a 12" length of 1" stainless steel tubing, .065" wall thickness. I'll slide the 1" tubing over the 7/8" handlebar ends, and use JB Weld epoxy on the inside of the tube to bond it to the 7/8" handlebar.

Now I have fully adjustable handlebars; I have the handlebar closer to me with the 6" risers, I can change the angle back to me in the risers clamps, and I can adjust the sweep/pullback from dragbar straight across to at least a 7" swept pullback.
Do you know where they came from ? maybe the name of them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts