Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been wanting a set of Z-bars for my bike now, since I had seen them at a shop here by me. I messaged Nitro57 asking him about his bars. He responded very quickly and in a positive about them. He also said he had just went to 12" apes and the ones I'd asked about were available.
Well, I jumped on the deal and got them earlier this week. I got them installed and did some riding. Now for about me, I'm 5'9" and about 260. The bars had me leaned forward a bit and put some added strain on my wrists, nothing a set of spacers would not fix. Only problem was I wanted to get rid of the spacers I had before. My decision on how to fix the situation was a little different, I headed to the shop and broke out my new tubing roller I had been wanting to. Here is my first set of bars. they were just tacked for test fitting.

They have a 9" rise and almost a 6" pullback. I'll be putting them on next week. Let me know what you all think.

·
Registered
658 Posts
They look great. Looking forward to seeing them mounted.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Did you build them yourself

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I did make them. I used to build sand-rails and now do a lot of rock crawler roll cages and bumpers. I tried a new roller that I had gotten to make these.I'm thinking about rear crash bars next. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes, I did make them. I used to build sand-rails and now do a lot of rock crawler roll cages and bumpers. I tried a new roller that I had gotten to make these.I'm thinking about rear crash bars next. :)
That awesome! Great job! I wish I could do that. I wouldn't know whee to start. LoL keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got them all welded up and painted. Here they are before the install.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I got them all welded up and painted. Here they are before the install.

Nice! Post pics when they're on. I'd like to see what the look like.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got them installed. I had a stripped bolt and needed new stock risers. They came today and an hour later I was riding.

First impression: Very relaxed riding position. I can sit completely straight upright and my arms are still bent. Very good low speed control, with the 8" Mini-Apes I felt like I was really working hard when going slow.

Well, I hope you all like them, let me know.:)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Nice job ... btw, you would make a fortune on here making two things .... passenger grab handles and the fore mentioned rear crash bars.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got to get 1 1/4" dies and a bender for that size and I would try the rear crash bars. I'm getting ready to sell an enclosed trailer and once it's gone I'll get what I need to make them. I could do 1" right now, but I'm not sure they would look right, compared to the front highway bars. Grab handles could be done now, even out of 3/4" I think would work well.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Grab handles could be done now, even out of 3/4" I think would work well.
let me know when you mock some up, i would be your first customer, the better half's biggest gripe is having to reach behind to hang on to the back rest, we have a mustang seat and they have no grab strap ... she wanted something on the side off the bag brackets to allow for a natural arm "drop" and hand grip

cheers Maurice

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've got to get 1 1/4" dies and a bender for that size and I would try the rear crash bars. I'm getting ready to sell an enclosed trailer and once it's gone I'll get what I need to make them. I could do 1" right now, but I'm not sure they would look right, compared to the front highway bars. Grab handles could be done now, even out of 3/4" I think would work well.
FYI, almost all 900 owners want Lindby Highway bars knockoffs... You could make a killing doing those if your could. Just a thought.

Great look on your bars btw. Good job!

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
let me know when you mock some up, i would be your first customer, the better half's biggest gripe is having to reach behind to hang on to the back rest, we have a mustang seat and they have no grab strap ... she wanted something on the side off the bag brackets to allow for a natural arm "drop" and hand grip

cheers Maurice
Let me see if I can get something figures out. I would probably try and incorporate the stock saddlebag mounts. Then I could do an exchange with yours. If I can get it figured I'll send you some info.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI, almost all 900 owners want Lindby Highway bars knockoffs... You could make a killing doing those if your could. Just a thought.
I'll keep that in mind, and let you know.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Let me see if I can get something figures out. I would probably try and incorporate the stock saddlebag mounts. Then I could do an exchange with yours. If I can get it figured I'll send you some info.
thanks, either PM me or post it on this thread as Im sure the other guys would be interested, over the past 2 years there have been various posts for people looking for such a product. I even saw one guy who had installed a set of aftermarket brackets up side down (pointing upwards) to achieve the same result.

cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts