Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to swap out the bars on my vulcan 900 custom. I bought some risers and purchased some 10" mini apes. When I opened the bars I noticed they are not knurled. Is this a problem? If so any tips or tricks? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I don't have a real definitive answer for you, but I prefer the knurled bars. They provide a bit more grip to prevent the bars from wiggling and pulling back on you. Especially under torque.

I don't think you will have a problem, but I prefer knurled. That's all I can add to that...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Would be time consuming but could take a sharp punch and lightly make dimples all the way around your bars the width on the risers. Am sure there are better ways. May also use a couple pipe wrenches turning in opposite directions?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would be time consuming but could take a sharp punch and lightly make dimples all the way around your bars the width on the risers. Am sure there are better ways. May also use a couple pipe wrenches turning in opposite directions?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yeah a punch would probably work. I'm going to try and use sand cloth as a shim. If that doesn't work then I'll try the punch. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question on this. After installing the clutch and brake assemblies on the new bars, I'm about an inch short on both sides for the grips. Meaning, if the inside of the grip is around 5" then I have about 4" of handlebar to install them on. Does this mater at all?

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
I have heard of guys using emory paper (sand paper) and taping (doublesided),(or glue) it to the curves on the riser and clamps. If your gonna try glue rough up the surfaces 1st. Or just send them back and get the right kind. You could also dremel in some knurls yourself.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Another question on this. After installing the clutch and brake assemblies on the new bars, I'm about an inch short on both sides for the grips. Meaning, if the inside of the grip is around 5" then I have about 4" of handlebar to install them on. Does this mater at all?
It really sounds like you need to get some different bars. Harley bars will work. The knurled spacing is almost identical.

These are what I put on mine, and I have 3.5" pullback risers. The cables are at their max for the stock length. Should be able to find some 10" ones or just use different risers.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Handlebar-without-Indents-Harleys/dp/B00F4MZPZY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1426859436&sr=1-1&keywords=harley+8%22+apes

·
Registered
49 Posts
mine aren't knurled and it worried me a bit. but once i tightened them down and gave them numerous tugs with everything I had, they didn't budge a bit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not exactly sure if i'm following you on this one, but I put my grips on first to make sure they went on all the way on before I positioned and tightened everything else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts