Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I really need your help. I have an 09 custom and would really like some mini apes on it but have no clue what I need and also need to do it on somewhat of a budget. Thank so much in advance

·
Registered
235 Posts
Can't help with budget but barons 14 Kong bars are nice. They also make a cable kit for them also. Check on westendmotorsports.com

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Vulcan 113,

If its just for looks, fill yer boots, but if the stock bars are a little low for you -

I spent some time trying to think why I should not raise the angle of the stock bars a little on my classic. Couldn't think of a reason not to, so I slackened them off and raised them about 2" measured from the floor. No risers, just the angle changed. The only issue was the rhs mirror would not go low enough for good rear view so I adjusted the brake lever up a little to give the mirror the adjustement needed. The conical mirror bracket at the rear of the mirror is permanently fixed on the rod . The fastener behind the glass goes into a recess in the rod, so don't force it!
From an engineering point of view, I personally don't like the idea of using stock cables on non stock bars if there is the remotest chance of them binding.
I like to practice slow speed handling and the stock bar position was a little low on full lock turns, just touching my knees. I can now go round and round on full lock turns like a good'un.
Cover your tank well before you loosen the bar clamps......

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Keep in mind that your stock custom has drag bars. There are no riseres to attach new bars to. You'll need to buy risers to go with your new bars.

·
Living The Dream
1,514 Posts
I installed some 8" Harley Mini apes on my LT. Was able to get away with the stock cables and lines. They are at the max and I did have to adjust the levers a bit to accommodate. But it works just fine without binding. Found mine on Amazon for under $50 at the time. Just search for 8" mini apes on Amazon. Double check your knurling space as well. They Harley bars knurling spacing worked out fine. Sticks out a little bit, but looks and works just fine. Super all day comfort now. No neck or shoulder pain anymore. I also installed some 3.5" pullback risers. I hated the posture the stock bars put me in, leaning forward led to neck and shoulder pain on long trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can easily find mini apes on eBay or Amazon for $50 and under, although again you will need risers as well for the Custom. You should be able to go up to 12" with re-routing (I'm assuming the Custom and Classic have the same length cables). You'll have enough length but it will put your clutch cable at a somewhat odd angle, which I know some people aren't ok with. I haven't had any issues so far though, running 10" apes with 2" riser extensions on my Classic.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just go down to your local chopper shop and buy a set off the rack for $49. That's what I did for my VTX. That way you can hold them in your hands to get a feel for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts