Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '09 900LT I am wanting to bring the riding grip closer to me but only slightly however i am indifferent about rise. I have also fabed a windshield bag support that has the bag resting on the stock risers but only slightly (see pic) Any input from others would be helpfull.
I am looking at Scootworks Phatrisers giving 1.5 rise and 1.5 pullback but wondering if it will interfear with bag and weather I will need to reroute cables. thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 1500 classic with phats II risers. All the difference in the world as far as ease of control. Its like having power steering. Did not have to reroute cables.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have a '09 900LT I am wanting to bring the riding grip closer to me but only slightly however i am indifferent about rise. I have also fabed a windshield bag support that has the bag resting on the stock risers but only slightly (see pic) Any input from others would be helpfull.
I am looking at Scootworks Phatrisers giving 1.5 rise and 1.5 pullback but wondering if it will interfear with bag and weather I will need to reroute cables. thanks

My wife has an '09 LT and I installed the Phat Risers on it for her. No need to re-route the cables or wires. It's close with the bars at full deflection both sides, but the throttle still works fine. Go for it. Now, I have an '06 Classic that I installed a Memphis Fats shield on, with the quick disconnect shield mounting bracket. Worked fine with the stock handlebar setup, but I needed some risers with a slight pull back so I ordered up a set of the Phat Risers. They went on just fine, but I found that due to the bracket design, the cables are stretched too far and jam the throttle when turned full left or right. I will have to re-route the cables and wires behind the bracket to keep them loose.

You shouldn't have any trouble with yours as you have the LT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the lt and did reroute because I didnt think the throttle and all would make the stretch. Might be a good project to try and put them back to original postion this winter but for now it going to be 65 degrees in KC today so Im still ridin !!!!!! :):)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the same bike - right to the paint! I put the Phats I on mid season this year. From what I see in your pic the bag will ride in back (toward the shield) and slightly below the lower corner. My guess would be at 45 degrees to where it is now. The Phat I's are perfect for me -I'm 5'6" so the bars were a little too "Beachy". They actually cause me to sit further forward - as counter intuitive as that sounds, I'm lots more stable on the twisties. I did not have to relocate any cables- but its not hard to do.
I'm really interested in the bag bracket - how did you attach it to the windshield. I'll try to upload a couple pics of the risers this weekend.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have read of some riders buying chrome deep well sockets and longer mounting bolts to do a cheap-o handle bar rise. If the sockets are 2.5" long and given the 32 degree front rake, (and assuming I did my trig calculations correctly) this would bring the center of the mounting point up about 2.12" and back about 1.32". For the cost of a couple sockets and bolts, I have been considering trying this one out to see if I like it any better.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've got the PhatRisers I. No cable rerouting is needed. Looks like a non-standard mounting of the windshield bag, so I'm not sure about fitment. There is plenty of room between my handle bars and the windshield.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EMT I should be able to take some pics this weekend and post the bag support but it was an easy rig and looks and works great.. the bag is a US Saddle Bag Co. bag from J&P- part # 831-301 $52.00 some 1/8x3/4 aluminum flat stock from Menards 2.00
A trip to the local hardware store that sells chrome fasteners for some 1/4-20x3/4 pan head cap screws, washers and accorn nuts 4.00 ---cut, form, trim, drill, polish aluminum weave it thru the slots in the back of the bag and mount it to the whindshield replacing the stock bolts and acorns with the longer ones I will try to get pics later

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok still looking at the Phatrisers but debaiting on Phatriser= 1.5" rise -2" pullback or Phatriser-1X =2" rise -2" pullback not much difference

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the Phat I. Have the grips on the bars almost as low as they can go, and still clear. No cable re-route necessary. But, it does look cleaner if you re-route.

The 1X with more rise, would not get the grips lower. Nor would the II's. But, they would get them back towards the rider.

From what I can see, any of the three will have re-sale value, if you try, and want a different one.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I had the Scootworks SWR-12 risers for my 900, for about 6k miles. They didn't really give me the feel and control that I wanted, so I installed the Phat II risers and now have about 4k miles on them. They have worked out perfectly for me.

Assuming that you're unhappy with your riding position, control, etc with the stock risers, you need to try to figure out if the shorter versions vs the Phat II are really going to do enough for you. When I tried to measure mine, I forgot that having bent elbows while riding, was important to me, which led me to buy the shorter SWR-12 risers. So, I ended up needing extra pullback of the Phat II risers.

I didn't need to change any routing with the SWR-12s, but I did need to adjust the brake hose and clutch cable with the Phat IIs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the Scootworks SWR-12 risers for my 900, for about 6k miles. They didn't really give me the feel and control that I wanted, so I installed the Phat II risers and now have about 4k miles on them. They have worked out perfectly for me.

Assuming that you're unhappy with your riding position, control, etc with the stock risers, you need to try to figure out if the shorter versions vs the Phat II are really going to do enough for you. When I tried to measure mine, I forgot that having bent elbows while riding, was important to me, which led me to buy the shorter SWR-12 risers. So, I ended up needing extra pullback of the Phat II risers.

I didn't need to change any routing with the SWR-12s, but I did need to adjust the brake hose and clutch cable with the Phat IIs.

Kerry: You explained this very well as I am sort of guessing as to which risers to go with. I want my arms slightly bent and back to alleviate the sore shoulder blades with the stock bars. Thanks for your point of view.

Brian

·
Registered
696 Posts
Kerry: You explained this very well as I am sort of guessing as to which risers to go with. I want my arms slightly bent and back to alleviate the sore shoulder blades with the stock bars. Thanks for your point of view.

Brian
There are a couple of things that I forgot to mention. I've discarded my stock seat for a Saddlemen gel, which moved my body down and forward. AFAIK, most of the aftermarket seats move your body position, which then affects your reach to the handlebars.

I'm still using the stock handlebars, but there are aftermarket bars, including short ape hangers, that can eliminate the need for risers. The problem with new bars is that you have to remove and then reinstall all of the stuff on the bars. I seriously contemplated some mini-apes, but didn't want to fuss with all of the reinstallation of the bar equipment, so went with the risers.

Additionally, you have some latitude with the stock bars and the risers that you install, simply by moving the grips up and down. That can change your reach, comfort and control.

FWIW, my experiences lead me to believe that most folks that really want/need risers, would be well served with the Phat II risers or equivalents, rather than the shorter risers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts