Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Handlebar Removal

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  New Vulcanboy 
#1 ·
Hello!
Anyone have experience removing the handlebars on a Vulcan S? Just curious how complicated it would be to add pullback risers. I already have the Reduced Reach handlebars installed but even with those I still cannot reach the handlebars when I'm leaning on my backrest. I bought some Rox pullback risers to install, but not sure i have the tools or knowledge to do it myself.

Thanks

#3 ·
Hi,
Difficulty depends on how far the cables/wires/brake line can reach after you extend your handlebars.
I replaced handlebars on mine (from regular to reduced reach) and that was not too difficult.
If you have a cafe model you'll need to remove the deflector, then the dashboard (also easy).
You'll need to remove all the controls from handlebars and also cut the plastic ties that hold the cables.
Just leave all that stuff dangling.
There are 4 bolts that hold the plate that keeps the base of the handlebar in place, that's it.
The only question is if all cables/wires are going to reach far enough after you add length to your handlebars. If not then it's a different story, you'll need to get longer cables, wires and brake line, which involves bleeding brakes, etc.
That's not as straightforward. I would measure things first and if it turns out you need to get longer cables I would suggest you get a shop to do that.
One last thing, if your new handlebars do not come with pre-installed grips (Kawasaki provides their handlebars with left grip pre-installed) you'll need to remove bar ends, grips, then clean those and glue the left one back. The right one sits on a plastic tube and comes out easy.
Good luck,

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.