Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 Vulcan 1500 Classic this Spring and I am really enjoying the bike. The only problem I am finding is the handlebars seem to be forward more than other bike I have ridden. I would like to try a set of pullback risers to see if this would help with the lower back pain I am experiencing after riding for a bit.

The only problem I have is, I don't know how far to pull back and if I should go with a higher rise as well.

What have fellow riders used and what do they find comfortable?

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I kind of imaged where I would want the bars to be in a perfect world, made an imaginary line in my mind's eye, and measured from there. For me, 4" rise and 2 1/2" pullback was just right.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I kind of imaged where I would want the bars to be in a perfect world, made an imaginary line in my mind's eye, and measured from there. For me, 4" rise and 2 1/2" pullback was just right.

What he said. My 1500 Classic gave me a stinger right between the shoulder blades until I got those. I suspect it's because the tank is so long. My riding buddy has a 2007 Road King. He said I should try one and I said they were too short for me (I have really long arms and body and shorter legs- I'm 6-4, 37" sleeves and a 32" inseam. Built like an orangutan) He didn't believe me, so i pulled up right next to him. The space between the seat and the triple tree on my bike is at least 6-7" longer. I suspect this is because HD uses a singel spine frame and Kaw uses a double, so the hollow space under the tank has to be bigger, so the overall tank dimensions need to be bigger to hold enough fuel. He sat on my bike and almost couldn't reach the bars even with the risers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm 3 weeks with an '02 1500 Nomad. Same thing. I'm stretching to reach the bars. Most I find are 4 inch risers (2 inch over stock) that give a 1.5 inch pull back. Scootworks Phat Risers II show up in all my Google searches from a few years ago but their shopping cart doesn't work on the site. I emailed him and he told me he was semi-retired and not making anything at the moment. He does have a set of black ones and they state a 3.5 inch pull back.

I think I am going with a universal Baron kit that has various bolts for various applications. Most risers it seems are for Harleys and they have a much larger diameter hole in the triple tree. You can get different bolts it seems, and then the inexpensive riser kits are the same cost as those that work with our VN machines.

This is what I'm going with, Baron Custom Accessories Kickback Riser BA-7410-U (Amazon link)

I didn't realize the Nomad was even larger than the Classic, plus I have a Mustang seat that is a little lower and set back from stock. I can't lean back on the back rest while holding the bars and the slow handling is really difficult plus the sore back from the reach. I'm hoping these solve it before I decide to sell and look for something else. These bigger motor Vulcans are quite a bit bigger than most other bikes. I've ridden the C90T and my buddy at the same time I bought my bike bought a Yamaha Roadstar 1700 that I sat on. What a dramatic difference, I could step over it to get on it and the bars were about perfect for me and it felt 300 lb lighter when I lifted it up off the sidestand. I wish I had looked further, but I was blinded by the I want a bike after 15+ years of having one and jumped on the first nice condition bike I looked at.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You should also consider the riser extenders from Chuckster's Customs. I was happy with them on my 1500 and also on my Voyager.

·
Registered
457 Posts
i'm 3 weeks with an '02 1500 nomad. Same thing. I'm stretching to reach the bars. Most i find are 4 inch risers (2 inch over stock) that give a 1.5 inch pull back. Scootworks phat risers ii show up in all my google searches from a few years ago but their shopping cart doesn't work on the site. I emailed him and he told me he was semi-retired and not making anything at the moment. He does have a set of black ones and they state a 3.5 inch pull back.

I think i am going with a universal baron kit that has various bolts for various applications. Most risers it seems are for harleys and they have a much larger diameter hole in the triple tree. You can get different bolts it seems, and then the inexpensive riser kits are the same cost as those that work with our vn machines.

This is what i'm going with, baron custom accessories kickback riser ba-7410-u (amazon link)

i didn't realize the nomad was even larger than the classic, plus i have a mustang seat that is a little lower and set back from stock. I can't lean back on the back rest while holding the bars and the slow handling is really difficult plus the sore back from the reach. I'm hoping these solve it before i decide to sell and look for something else. These bigger motor vulcans are quite a bit bigger than most other bikes. I've ridden the c90t and my buddy at the same time i bought my bike bought a yamaha roadstar 1700 that i sat on. What a dramatic difference, i could step over it to get on it and the bars were about perfect for me and it felt 300 lb lighter when i lifted it up off the sidestand. I wish i had looked further, but i was blinded by the i want a bike after 15+ years of having one and jumped on the first nice condition bike i looked at.
do not send any money to scootworks or 621 cycles. Chances are better that 90 percent that you will not see your money or the product ever again. Check the bbb for scootworks/621 cycles.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, you can buy risers for any 1" handlebars, but you will most likely need to buy adapter bolts the convert from SAE to Metric for our bikes. I forget who, but someone out there makes said conversion bolts, as I used them on my bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
do not send any money to scootworks or 621 cycles. Chances are better that 90 percent that you will not see your money or the product ever again. Check the bbb for scootworks/621 cycles.
Interesting as Scootworks was the most common suggestion I found searching. I did not order Scootworks though.

Most of the stuff I saw on Amazon reviews stated the risers hit and dented the speedo bezzle.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Most of the stuff I saw on Amazon reviews stated the risers hit and dented the speedo bezzle.
I'm really not sure how that's possible. Mine sit two inches away from it and never get closer to an inch from it when i turn the handlebars all the way. Those must be some big-assed risers, because mine are pretty big.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I have tried 2 different sets on my bike, the first were a 3 1/2" riser with 1" of pullback. They were too low and square and hit the speedometer. I sent these back and ordered another pair, higher and less pullback, but still hit the speedometer(causing me to make a small dent in the chrome and using language my wife doesn't approve of).

These were both cheaper ones from Amazon. Now I am thinking I have to go to just simply a straight riser, adding about 1 1/2" - 2" to the height and the rake of the front end should allow a small pullback that may do the trick.

Any suggestions on straight risers that won't make me whine a little when I open the wallet.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
My risers are 4" x 1-3/4 pullback. That amount of pullback is plenty for me. As you can see, they don't come close to the speedo with the bars turned all the way. And yes, it needs washing! I didn't clean it up after the last day long ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My risers are 4" x 1-3/4 pullback. That amount of pullback is plenty for me. As you can see, they don't come close to the speedo with the bars turned all the way. And yes, it needs washing! I didn't clean it up after the last day long ride.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase the risers, the ones I tried sit much closer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts