Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo Whats Up Fellow Vulcan Riderz,

I have a 2006 Vulcan 2000 classic, I just Rode from Memphis TN, to Raleigh NC....Straight 16 Hours 805 Miles stopped for nothing but gas and a snack.....My finger tips are numb still today and its been several days... The bars are stock but rolled forward....also a Fairing....

I also have rode from N.C. to Daytona, and other rides on the east coast...and have experienced this before....

I was planning to do some 16 or 18 inch apes however if it's going to be a issue of Vibrations....or ability to ride long rides. I will stay stock.

I am going to check my fork oil, I have new tires...Any cures or ideas.

Please tell me I am not the only one with this problem........

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have the numb finger problem as I have had on all my bikes so I think I have poor circulation, but it does not last much after the ride. Do you have a cruise control? That makes all the difference for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yo Whats Up Fellow Vulcan Riderz,

I have a 2006 Vulcan 2000 classic, I just Rode from Memphis TN, to Raleigh NC....Straight 16 Hours 805 Miles stopped for nothing but gas and a snack.....My finger tips are numb still today and its been several days... The bars are stock but rolled forward....also a Fairing....

I also have rode from N.C. to Daytona, and other rides on the east coast...and have experienced this before....

I was planning to do some 16 or 18 inch apes however if it's going to be a issue of Vibrations....or ability to ride long rides. I will stay stock.

I am going to check my fork oil, I have new tires...Any cures or ideas.

If you have other than stock pipes: loosen and put rubber spacers on the rear mouting bracket do not over tighten.
Bare

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
loose the death grip on the Twist-O-Thrill thingy

..My finger tips are numb still today and its been several days... The bars are stock but rolled forward....also a Fairing....
killer, buzzed hands is common for long runs at high speed. there are lots of remedies that will mitigate this. Cruise control or Throttle lock will help you rotate your steering hand(s). A throttle rocker-palm control helps you to loose that death grip on the twist-o-thrill device thingy. Anything you do to loosen your grip is helpful. Flex your hands and fingers to improve circulation all during your ride.

Bar Changes can be more better good. What sets up the buzz is short wave harmonics created at high engine speeds. One, dont go fast... doh! that wont work. Two, gear yor bike higher to keep the motor loafin'.. this works.
Back to the bars, avoid em?.. er, handle bars.. Short Stiff ones will amplify these short waves into your hands. Longer bars made of thin wall (chrome plated brass or stainless) tube will absorb short waves. Weighted ends help to minimize longer wave length vibrations. Mini Apes are actually more better as they are longer and put your hands at a more comfortable position and control. By not reaching forward too much, relaxing your hands, arms and upper torso, your circulation should improve. All the little things that add to stress is what wears you down on a long ride. Get rid of em... is why you ride. out, ponch

·
Registered
28 Posts
I still get the numb fingers some but I use the Olympia gloves with gel in the palms and it helps a great deal. I read about them in a bike magazine a number of years ago and was skeptical but they really help.

Jim

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just a suggestion, Holeshot performance sell something called a barsnake.See info below... www.holeshot.com

The Bar Snake is a precisely gauged cylinder composed of a high-tech polymer, which - when properly installed inside tubular handlebars - dampens many high frequency vibrations that cause numbing as well as painful, even dangerous hand and wrist trauma.

The Bar Snake is a simple, innovative accessory that really works. One might wonder how something so simple can work so well.

Tubular metallic shapes have a natural tendency to conduct and amplify vibration. This principle has been used for millinea to make bells, horns and other musical instruments. Thus, like a bell, the tubular shape of handlebars transmits and amplifies the vibrations from the motor and road to the rider's hands resulting in painful hand and wrist stress and can inflame carpal tunnel syndrome.

The Bar Snake's reduction of handlebar vibrations can benefit all types of riders. Long distance riders have a less exhausting ride. High performance riders, like racers or off-road riders are able to put more energy into the track or trail and less on simply holding on.

The Bar Snake installs in minutes, includes easy-to-follow instructions and installation tools.

Note: Some handlebars have a restriction inside, which will not allow the Bar Snake to fit.The bars must be a standard steel 7/8th" type and standard wall thickness. If you have aluminum bars with a thicker wall thickness or smaller ID the solid Bar Snake will not work. In this case I recommend Liquid Bar Snake. Please check your handlebars before ordering.

The Bar Snake Reduces: The Bar Snake Increases:
High Frequency vibrations
Arm Fatigue
Sloppy Riding
Pain and discomfort
Rest time needed between rides
Lever and perch wear Fun
Length of riding time
Safety
Rider control
Your ability to hold on
Your chances of winning that long race

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
there are just too many ways to go with this one!?

The Bar Snake is a simple, innovative accessory that really works. One might wonder how something so simple can work so well.
The Bar Snake's reduction of vibrations can benefit all. simply holding on.
The Bar Snake installs in minutes, easy-to-follow instructions and installation tools.
I recommend Liquid Bar Snake. Please check your hands before ordering.
The Bar Snake Reduces: The Bar Snake Increases:
Fun, Length of riding time, Safety & Control, Your ability to hold on
On this side of the big puddle, a bar snake is often referred to as some old geezer or wrinkled barfly hitting on the new kids. yikes! nothing worse than having some old wrinkley, stinky smoke and alcohol pickled, mummified perfumed old b.. trying to tap your.. assets? more yikes! outa here, ponch

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Iso Grips worked for me
Mine help, but don't eliminate the numb/tingly fingers altogether. A longer bar (apes or mini-apes) will help, as will bar end weights, gel-palm riding gloves, lower RPM's, etc. A throttle boss or manual cruise will help even more, as it allows you to flex your hand, or shift it around a bit as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Me Too!

I found that, it took less than 30 minutes for the numbness to start. One of the problems was that, my gloves were too tight. When you try them one you want good fit. However, with your hands in riding position they are tighter than they were during the store try-on. Looser gloves have helped.

My bike came with drag bars. From what I have read here, that too is a problem but, replacing them is a $1,000 job due to all the wiring labor. Riser extensions also helped as it allowed be to bend my arms more and thereby, put less pressure on my hands. If money allows, I will replace them with mini-apes.

I make an effort to relax my hands as much as possible. It is an ongoing problem that, each rider apparently must work out individually due to the differences in bikes, bars, height, seating position, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
use sand

I read an artical that stated " fill handlebar with dry sand and seal the ends, the sand will eliminate the harmonics that is the cause of the problem" just sayin' :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow its not just me Thanks everyone for the great responses........I must add I did not wear gloves..... I'm gonna wear gloves today......looking for mini apes....What about using risers and stock bars?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw response on risers.....Thanks....A bunch. I can't wait to ride today..... And as for gloves what about fingerless with gel padding? I will take both pair just in case.....20 minutes till blast off!!!!!!!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
go pound some sand

I read an artical that stated " fill handlebar with dry sand and seal the ends, the sand will eliminate the harmonics that is the cause of the problem" just sayin' :)
packman, keeping the sand in there...dry, them dang seals just wont stay put. ;)

·
Registered
864 Posts
You bad Ponch...............But im diggin on the Pic, want one of those ( seals ) instead of all these pot lickers i got hangin around........they are way cuter > talk about a chick magnet ........

·
Registered
419 Posts
Knocked off the bar stool........

On this side of the big puddle, a bar snake is often referred to as some old geezer or wrinkled barfly hitting on the new kids. yikes! nothing worse than having some old wrinkley, stinky smoke and alcohol pickled, mummified perfumed old b.. trying to tap your.. assets? more yikes! outa here, ponch
What the hay...I resemble that remark.

I used jell pad fingerless gloves that worked some. Like Ponch said lighten up on that twister thing and the rest of the stuff. I know an old Harley trick is to fill up the handle bar with shotgun lead shot. Best way to do this is to buy a bag of small size shot at a reloading store instead of trying to fire your shotgun into the end of the handlebar.:D

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
seal of approval?

fill up the handle bar with shotgun lead shot. Best way to do this is to fire your shotgun into the end of the handlebar.:D
iam'rs, yor fill method dont sit well with that seal on the other end of the bar. or any them youngens either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts