Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Classic OEM handle bar setup looks very adjustable. I've only had mine 8 weeks now, and I'm feeling I may be more comfortable if the risers were loosened and I turned my bars up raising my grips 1 to 2 inches. Currently when the bars are turned all the way, there is minimum clearance between my clutch pull & gas tank.

Has anyone played with this? If the grips are moved up do you feel more like part of the bike, then on top of the bike? Did it affect the bike's handling?

Weigh in. I'd love to hear opinions on this.

(also, how I can get the black caps off the riser bolts without scratching the crap out of the paint would be much appreciated as well)

·
Registered
536 Posts
A lot of people go with these 2" risers bought on Ebay. They raise the bars slightly and move them back about an inch. It is just a spacer that fits under your stock risers and it comes with bolts for a quick easy install. No longer cables required and it makes a huge difference on comfort especially if you have a Mustang seat that moves you back just a little. They are like $17. As far as removing the plugs on the risers...they are plastic and just use a very thin screwdriver to go gently in the seam and it will pop out with no marks...even a straight pin will work. I bought mine off Ebay from seller name : puredrivecustoms so you can search them to buy...it seems like they are about $17 shipped if I remember right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as removing the plugs on the risers...they are plastic and just use a very thin screwdriver to go gently in the seam and it will pop out with no marks...even a straight pin will work.
Thanks for the info on the caps.

I am going to attempt to rotate my handlebars on the stock risers first. If something feels off, I will look at getting longer risers or riser extenders. Was a little upset with the dealer I bought the bike from. They wanted me to make an appointment to adjust handlebars. Not paying an hour of labor for 4 bolts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My bars really felt better to me when I lowered them a little after installing the risers as mentioned above ....the bar caps are a #8 hex and the torque is 25# when re tightening..you only have to lossen the bottom ones a little:)

·
Registered
536 Posts
That would be ridiculous to pay a dealer for that...oh well. Whenever doing that kind of work near my fuel tank I always lay a blanket over my tank for some padding in case I drop a tool or the handlebars slip

·
Registered
74 Posts
A lot of people go with these 2" risers bought on Ebay. They raise the bars slightly and move them back about an inch. It is just a spacer that fits under your stock risers and it comes with bolts for a quick easy install. No longer cables required and it makes a huge difference on comfort especially if you have a Mustang seat that moves you back just a little. They are like $17. As far as removing the plugs on the risers...they are plastic and just use a very thin screwdriver to go gently in the seam and it will pop out with no marks...even a straight pin will work. I bought mine off Ebay from seller name : puredrivecustoms so you can search them to buy...it seems like they are about $17 shipped if I remember right.

I have that same exact bike, only I got the Phat risers II gives me a 2 inch rise and almost a 3 inch pullback. I really don't care for the stock handlebars though. I would like to ask you about the passenger floor boards you have I really need some for the wife. What kind are they and where did you get them?

·
Registered
74 Posts

You can see the risers in this pic I think. I also just installed Hard Krome 3 inch pipes on and they are amazing, better than V&H. Paid $360 on Ebay at Don and Roys store, they have a bunch of pipes off of display bikes that are new and you will pay about half price.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to ask you about the passenger floor boards you have I really need some for the wife. What kind are they and where did you get them?
They are the Kawasaki Fire & Steel passenger floorboards. Thanks for the info on the risers. I wish I could go that route, but my bike is a "special edition" so my risers are that weird frame colored charcoal metallic. Try to color match that. It really sucks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Jason, some companies make powder coated ones (usually in black) but you could probably get a set and have them done to match closely.

btw welcome from PA :)

I almost bought that bike until I saw the custom, wish I had both in a sense.

·
Registered
199 Posts
They are the Kawasaki Fire & Steel passenger floorboards. Thanks for the info on the risers. I wish I could go that route, but my bike is a "special edition" so my risers are that weird frame colored charcoal metallic. Try to color match that. It really sucks.
I ran into the same problem when I bought those risers. I hit the risers with some flat black rustoleum, and it matches the forks, but not the mounts. Not ideal, but until I find a better option, it will do. I LOVE the new handlebar position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts