Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a set of 12 inch apes that was taken off a harley. so they are kind of narrow and not as wide as the stock handle bars on my 2012 vulcan classic lt. But i was wondering how tall of risers can i use with those ape hangers without having to change my cables? I have not changed out the handle bars yet but i did set the new handle bars on top of the current bars to kinda of get a feel more or less and being 12" apes they are not that high. Seems like maybe almost the same height of the stock bars when they are raised up. Any idea how high of risers i can use with 12" apes also without changing the cables?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK so update. Last night i put my new handle bars on and it took about 3 hrs doing it alone and never had worked on a motorcycle before so it wasnt that bad. The worst part was getting the clutch side hand grip off but i just ended up rolling it down the handle bar then rolling back onto the new bars. All in all it went well, the 12" is as long as you can go without changing out your cables but you will have to reroute the cables behind the triple tree. Took it for a test drive last night once i was done and it really makes a world of difference on the handling and the steering. Everything wasnt that bad before with the stock handle bars once your use to them but the new ones make turning almost as if nothing. It will take some getting use to the new ones tho because being they are narrower than the stock it feels unsteady almost if that makes sense. But all and all im pleased with them for now being a bigger guy i may go a little longer maybe 16 but for now only paying 40 bucks for a new feel and a new look ill take it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK so update. Last night i put my new handle bars on and it took about 3 hrs doing it alone and never had worked on a motorcycle before so it wasnt that bad. The worst part was getting the clutch side hand grip off but i just ended up rolling it down the handle bar then rolling back onto the new bars. All in all it went well, the 12" is as long as you can go without changing out your cables but you will have to reroute the cables behind the triple tree. Took it for a test drive last night once i was done and it really makes a world of difference on the handling and the steering. Everything wasnt that bad before with the stock handle bars once your use to them but the new ones make turning almost as if nothing. It will take some getting use to the new ones tho because being they are narrower than the stock it feels unsteady almost if that makes sense. But all and all im pleased with them for now being a bigger guy i may go a little longer maybe 16 but for now only paying 40 bucks for a new feel and a new look ill take it.
Side note tho i had to angle the handle bars a little forward so the windshield will not go back on because it will then be right up against the brake and clutch levers. So i dont really like that part as being used to riding with the windshield, and then not having it riding was an experience as im not use to the wind just hitting you in the face and making it feel like its hard to breath. But other than that im liking the outcome of the change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts