Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vulcan 500 looses power at half throttle,i have tried the Seafoam and Amsoil cleaner and still does it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
A bit more info please. For instance, has it been sitting long? Old gas? Exactly what do you mean by "loses power"?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought off of a dealer about two months ago, its a 2009 with “698”miles on the speedo. I couldnt ride it ( no license yet) but he rode it and it seemed fine. When i tried it out at home it starts right up and i let it warm up then when riding it seems to load up and stumble mid throttle. I drained all gas and tried the seafoam drained added fresh gas and still the same. I think carbs need cleaned better.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
In addition to checking the carburetors also check the airbox and air filter. If the air filter or 'snorkel' is not securely in place the engine will not run right.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
it will stumble like that when the fuel/air mixture is not 14:1 (ideal ratio), if it's too lean (more air) or is too rich (too much fuel) , the mixture will not explode properly in the cylinders giving you that stumble at half throttle, you need to find out if it's getting too much air or too much fuel

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
there's a product called gunson colortune, it's a special spark plug that changes colors to indicate a rich or a lean combustion or if it's ideal, you install that plug temporarily in 1 of the cylinders and watch the color changes from different throttle positions, the plug comes in different plug thread sizes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did notice that if i blocked off part of the air intake it would run better, i will have to try “all of the above” suggestions,thanks for all the help. I hope that i get this resolved because the days are starting to warm up and i really want to ride!

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
At 698 miles in 10 years, carbs have to come off and be cleaned. In fact, entire fuel system including tank screen.
To anything else/less is a waste of time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took your advise sfair and did a complete carb tear down ( first time i have ever done one) and now it runs like a new bike! I think it may need just a little tweaking on the air/fuel mixture,but i got it real close . Thanks to everyone who replied and offered suggestions! I also discovered that my factory air filter can be reused after cleaning, i was ready to buy a new one. Total cost was only $10 and a few hours of my time. Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts