Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions on good half helmets? Everything I've tried on gives me that "mushroom head" look. I need something a little more low profile.
I usually where a full face helmet, but it's been so hot that I can't stand to wear it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just ordered one off daytonahelmets.com, they say theirs are the lowest profile. I'll let you know when it comes in. I currently have a Vega half helmet and I just get too much mushroom head wearing it

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just upgraded from an HJC FS-2 that when I bought it I thought it was the best helmet I could find that didn't look a mushroom, after wearing it for 2yrs began to really dislike the fit & function of it.
I saw these Nexx x60 Vintage helmets in an article that were just coming to N.America & the reviewer loved them, once I saw them I knew I had to have one. Now that I've had for a month, it's an excellent helmet that I can't say enough good things about!
I have the X60 Vintage black w/ orange piping(matches the orange on my SE)

My wife just ordered this one once she saw mine.

www.nexx-usa.com

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Fulmer Ranger; fits very good and quite comfortable...feels like you're wearing nothing at all (which, I'm sure, some people will say that's all a half-helmet is good for). I like it in the summer to stay cool.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the Daytona Skull Cap Naked which is 'touted' as the smallest profile D.O.T. approved helmet. My search for the smallest D.O.T. helmet took me there. While it is smaller than any other I've tried short of a novelty (non-D.O.T.) helmet, it is D.O.T. and until we someone comes up with some miracle substance that's capable of absorbing whatever impact D.O.T. is rated for you are going to have some mushrooming (so to speak):p.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Kazzo factor

·
Registered
782 Posts
One of the least mushroom head helmets I've seen is the ones by HCI. But all helmets have to meet that DOT approval which means about 1" thick styrofoam. Although that actually has nothing to do with the FMVSS 218 spec which all the helmet laws refer to.

Sorry, this whole helmet law thing is a sham and it gets me riled. But the truth is that you can make helmets thinner by using something other than styrofoam. But then the cops wouldn't be able to tell good helmets from bad. So they stick with the mushroom head design to keep things simple. Even though thinner helmets with new age foam could save more lives since it would protect better and people would be more likely to wear them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
One of the least mushroom head helmets I've seen is the ones by HCI. But all helmets have to meet that DOT approval which means about 1" thick styrofoam. Although that actually has nothing to do with the FMVSS 218 spec which all the helmet laws refer to.

Sorry, this whole helmet law thing is a sham and it gets me riled. But the truth is that you can make helmets thinner by using something other than styrofoam. But then the cops wouldn't be able to tell good helmets from bad. So they stick with the mushroom head design to keep things simple. Even though thinner helmets with new age foam could save more lives since it would protect better and people would be more likely to wear them.
Jeep Pirate... reading what you posted I was wondering what do you think of the carbon fiber helmets that are coming out? Like this brand Skull Crush they are non DOT

any one with experience with skull crush or any other carbonfiber helmet?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ordered a Daytona helmet a month or so back and when it came I was very disappointed in it. the helmet has no shape to the bottom edge and while it is smaller from the bottom edge to the top of the helmet it was actually more round looking than my Vega XTS. the helmet looked like I just grabbed a bowl out of the kitchen and put it on. the XTS helmets changed this year and actually fit smaller than previous years, I used to wear an XL and now wear a L.

if anyone wants to buy a Daytona naked skull cap in matte black (size XL) let me know... i'll sell it cheap. it's never been rode with and it's still in the box

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like those skull crush helmets. I don't have any helmet laws to worry about cuz I only ride in MN, SD, and IA, so I could get away with wearing one.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Jeep Pirate... reading what you posted I was wondering what do you think of the carbon fiber helmets that are coming out? Like this brand Skull Crush they are non DOT

any one with experience with skull crush or any other carbonfiber helmet?
This is exactly the thing I tend to rant about. There are foams and materials out there that could make a safer, thinner helmet, but the states don't really care about that. What they want is to be able to ticket people for not having a proper helmet. And the only way to do that is to have a simple rule of thumb that the officers can go by when they pull someone over. Thus, the almighty "1 INCH THICK STYROFOAM" ruling.:mad: Which has nothing to do with FMVSS218. If you read the laws, they usually refer to a helmet having to pass this test to be approved. But nowhere in FMVSS218 does is mention styrofoam or a minimum thickness. It only says, the helmet must withstand a certain level of impact while protecting the head inside from that force to a specified level. But you can't do an impact test on the side of the road.

Now, I understand that strength and protection are different things. For example, the little video on the Skull Crush website where the SUV drives over the helmet is not a good indicator of how much protection you would actually get. For one, if you turn the helmet on its side, I bet it would crush. Also, if you put a 1inch thick steel bowl on your head and I hit you with a bat, you would still get a concusion. However, it does sound like this Ensolite foam is better than the crap that comes inside most novelty helmets and the shell is definitely strong. I would feel better about wearing this helmet than one of the cheap novelty helmets you find in local shops. But without difinitive data on its impact protection compared FMVSS218, there is no way to know how much protection you are getting. But hell, we ride motorcycles, ITS DANGEROUS!:eek: But there is a difference between dangerous and stupid. Each person has to decide for himself where that line falls. I personally would be tempted to buy one of these Skull Crush helmets, slap a "DOT" sticker on it and ride.

·
Registered
782 Posts
But don't take my word for it!

Here is a link to a site that lists the entire FMVSS 218 helmet testing specification. As you can see, no where does it mention 1" thick styrofoam. It does specify several peak acceleration limits and a note about a certain size/weight penetration device not entering the head-form inside the helmet. It also says in the labeling section that the manufacturer is to specify the type of foam and liner used. Which would mean that other types of foam could be acceptable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
After checking out the skull crush site I'm thinking about ordering one and slapping a DOT sticker on it

·
Registered
73 Posts
While not stylish the one inch of styrafoam allows enough crush distance to greatly reduce "G" deceleration. I have fallen off twice and the foam helmet works!. There is no way a thinner helmet could pad a concussion as well. The thinner material may hold your head together better or prevent penetration but would still expose your skull to higher "G" forces. My half helmet is a Vega.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just received my Datona helmet and I'm quite disappointed; although its indeed lighter than my Vega it looks like a bowl on my head. I'm going to return it and go with one from Skull Crush

·
Registered
658 Posts
I just received my Datona helmet and I'm quite disappointed; although its indeed lighter than my Vega it looks like a bowl on my head. I'm going to return it and go with one from Skull Crush
When you get it would you mind doing a review? I would be interested in reading first hand experience.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts