Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been rding for over 20 and always wore a full face helmet. Recently I picked up a Street and Steel half helmet from Cyclegear for quick trips to the store and what not. The problem is, anything over 20-25 MPH I catch a lot of wind noise with my ears. On a recent "store run" I noticed that the helmet was noisier when tipped forward and quieter when tipped back. All this got me to wondering if some helmets aren't quieter than others.
What are your experiences with this?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sarge

I would look to my ears as the culprit :)

Seriously, most 1/2 helmets I have seen don't cover the ears so generally the wind noise you pick up is just wind noise and is definitely different depending on your ears. That said, I would fully expect each manufacturer of helmet and even differences in the models to shed wind in different fashions causing slight fluctuations in wind noise around your ears. What you experience is not unexpected.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think they are all noisey. Wear ear plugs. I use a 1/2 helmet for very short trips around town and always use the full face on the highway for the reasons you mention.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those were my original thoughts, but tilting the helmet a little, one way or the other really changed how much noise I experienced, which made me wonder if anyone had designed a "low road noise" half helmet.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I've ridden with nothing but a halfie for the past 8 years (except in the rain,where I use a fullface) and I'm so used to it I don't even notice the road noise. I like being able to hear the bike motor, the birds, other cars, etc.

I have noticed that different halfies have a different buffeting factor. I found one now that isn't loud not get buffeted by wind, but is well padded.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've ridden with nothing but a halfie for the past 8 years (except in the rain,where I use a fullface) and I'm so used to it I don't even notice the road noise. I like being able to hear the bike motor, the birds, other cars, etc.

I have noticed that different halfies have a different buffeting factor. I found one now that isn't loud not get buffeted by wind, but is well padded.
I like hearing those things too. The problem is, over 25 MPH I can't hear anything but the wind.

·
Registered
432 Posts
swimmers ear plugs

I use them occasionally when I have an ear ache while riding or when the noise gets to be too much. Get the 60 or 70 percent ones not the 80 or 90 percent they block important sounds like sirens, wild women yelling etc.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I like hearing those things too. The problem is, over 25 MPH I can't hear anything but the wind.
Where I live, we have a store called Helmet Outlet where the owner rides and
lets folks take testers out as long as you wear a doo-rag when you do. That way you can try some out and see if there is much difference for you. I know the first one I had made me feel like someone was playing bongos on top of my head at 65 mph. The one I have now was completely different. Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the responses. It's good to know there are differences in helmets as far as noise. I'll try to find a dealer that might let me try out the helmets. Also I just installed a Memphis Shades Batwing with 5" shield, I have yet to try that out with the half helmet. I know there are a number of variables that change everything when you change one. The Memphis Fats I had on there before with the half helmet was pretty quiet, though extremely LOUD with my full face.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts