Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in the market for a half helmet and I wear RX glasses. I've owned one HH in the past and rode w/o any eye protection and it sucked. Nothing like crying while enjoying a ride. Anyhoot, I am looking for opinions/experiences with over-the-glasses goggles/sun glasses. I had a set at one time, but they didn't fit my glasses too well.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hello,

I'm in the market for a half helmet and I wear RX glasses. I've owned one HH in the past and rode w/o any eye protection and it sucked. Nothing like crying while enjoying a ride. Anyhoot, I am looking for opinions/experiences with over-the-glasses goggles/sun glasses. I had a set at one time, but they didn't fit my glasses too well.

Thanks for the feedback!
I'm in the same boat! I tried on the Bell Pit Boss. A fine helmet, but because I'm smack in between sizes on their chart the medium was too small an the large too loose even with the adjusting wheel. I found that the drop-down shield seemed good. Your results may vary. I wound up buying a GMax GM-65 naked. The fit is superb. The drop-down shield however, and unlike the Bell, really doesn't come down far enough, and does little to keep the wind out of my eyes (to which I appear to be very sensitive).

I've done some research and so far the Airfoil 9300 goggles are at the top of my list.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
subscribing to this thread. I'm also a bit myopic, but not badly. I used to wear contacts, but that may not be an option for a while for me. I'll often ride without corrective lenses at all, just wearing non-RX riding glasses with interchangeably lenses. My RX isn't that strong, so I can get away with it during the day...but at night the halos around headlights is terrible and the world practically ends with my headlight beam. Obviously not an option when it gets dark.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I bought a HJC IS-Crusier Half Helmet awhile back and I like it. I have 3 helmets, full face, open face 3/4 and now this half helmet which I wear in the hot months. I also wear prescription glasses and this helmet has a pull down (and retractable) shield that comes down plenty enough to cover my glasses and my eyes. And I wear heavy plastic frames not those dinky wire frames.
Anyhow you can look at it here, they are around $90 bucks now, I got mine on sale for $75. They might run another sale next holiday.
http://www.leatherup.com/p/HJC-Half-Helmets/HJC-IS-Crusier-Black-Half-Helmet/5075835.html

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wear glasses and use a half helmet. I use a half shield for my other bike with a windshield and it works well. I got one of these to ride the 500 without windshield

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018QDLR4[/ame]

It works well, locks in place ok, touches my chin when closed fully but not bad. I wouldn't want to take a long road trip with it, for that you really need a full face or a windshield. I got both a smoke and a clear.

That goggles and no windshield look might be ok for short trips but I'm not interested.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have a pair of glasses I strictly use for riding. Liberty Sport make them. They are not cheap if you are paying for them out of pocket, but my last visit to the eye doc my vision did not change. So I got them for like $30. They have scratch resistant lenses. They are also transition lenses too so they work good for day or night. They are a little snug in a full face, but not bad.

http://www.libertysport.com/torque-i.html#.U8gJGLHq4q5

·
Registered
213 Posts
Have your eye doctor order you a set of goggles with your Rx ground into them. Get Transitions lenses and then you don't have to worry about changing them. Works great for me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for the feedback!
You may want to check out th thread re:OTG's from a few days ago.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Rx safety glasses with side shields work well for me. I have both dark and clear but you could just get clear and by clip on sunglasses for them. They come in a variety of stiles and are usually cheaper than regular Rx glasses

·
Registered
543 Posts
When I got a new prescription and glasses, I had my new prescription also put in my old frames. They are my MC driving glasses. I put on my full face helmet and shove the ear pieces between the helmet and my head. Or, I can put on the glasses and pull the helmet a little wider and pull it down over my head.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a pair of glasses I strictly use for riding. Liberty Sport make them. They are not cheap if you are paying for them out of pocket, but my last visit to the eye doc my vision did not change. So I got them for like $30. They have scratch resistant lenses. They are also transition lenses too so they work good for day or night. They are a little snug in a full face, but not bad.

http://www.libertysport.com/torque-i.html#.U8gJGLHq4q5
I have a pair or RX sunglasses that look pretty well like the ones in SWVA's post link. They have a foam protection inside on the rim like some safety glasses have so road grit and wind doesn't get to your eyes.
You can have your optometrist make you or order you a pair with or without transition in them.
I opted for the sunglasses for daytime use and use my regular RX transition spectacles at night.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I'm farsighted. I wear a pair of sports frames with prescription transition lenses, and I pretty much wear them all the time.

Heck, next time you're in your local Walmart, wander in to the prescription glasses department. You may be surprised.

I've worn goggles over normal glasses in the past, but I've always has problems with that. Invariably there will be some sort of a leak, and let me tell you there is nothing, nothing, nothing worse than your goggles filling up with water and you're on a highway where it's raining so hard you can't even see to pull over.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Zennioptical.com is where I got mine. They seal well around my eyes. I order single vision goggles and pay less than 30$. My regular glasses are progressives but really all I need for riding is distance glasses. You will need your pupilary distance and prescription.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts